Little Things You Hate

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
FFS they are beach boat launching areas :rolleyes:

Lets slap concrete a boat ramp on every natural beach on an island that up until 30yrs ago had very little tourism, was raw, natural and didnt rely on tourism $$$

Emu Bay is the ONLY beach on KI that driving is allowed on. The rest is access for launching boats, canoes ect.

The birdmen who dont live on the island, shout their mouth off demanding no access and no advertising as usual.

The South Australian Tourism Commission will edit an advertisement to remove footage of a four-wheel-drive vehicle appearing to speed down Emu Bay beach.
Concerns about the ad were raised by members of BirdLife Australia on KI, the KI Council and the KI Brand Alliance, who wrote to the SATC stating beach access is limited by KI Council regulation to a small number of beaches where minimal access is encouraged and speed signs encourage safe driving to protect other beach users and wildlife, particularly beach-nesting birds.

ozzybmx

So Emu Bay and Snelling Beach are trafficable while there are several fish killing launch spots? Do they police red areas? Rangers here are very strict and follow up with fines and Police visits for multiple offences.
Still limited, as far as tourism goes, only advertised by southaustralia.com and the rest of the touristy websites. The rest is launch access.

A popular coastal town full of holiday accommodation, Emu Bay is also the only place you can drive on the beach on Kangaroo Island. A four-wheel drive is not essential, provided you stick to the firm sand.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Lets slap concrete a boat ramp on every natural beach on an island that up until 30yrs ago had very little tourism, was raw, natural and didnt rely on tourism $$$

Emu Bay is the ONLY beach on KI that driving is allowed on. The rest is access for launching boats, canoes ect.

The birdmen who dont live on the island, shout their mouth off demanding no access and no advertising as usual.
Over 50 beaches on the Island, and only one beach for vehicle access, OK then o_O. Had a look at a few different studies and they all give different results but the 4wd done it all NOT:eek:.

https://www.communitywebs.org/kis/main.php?pid=7

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Kangaroo Island has 500km of coastline, you can drive on ONE BEACH.

3km stretch of Emu Bay which is accessible to any vehicle, its hard compact sand and easily driven on by 2wd cars.

For an island covered in Conservation areas and parks, you would think if there was anything but 1 whinger wanting the last beach OOB to vehicles, they would do something about it.

While we are at it, lets head down to remarkable rocks and cull the 100,000 New Zealand Fur Seals that have made the island home, wiping out the once thriving Little Penguin population.
Ok, we will go back to this one for starters. Why is it relevant how long the coast of KI is? what is important is HP habitat which makes up a tiny percentage of the coast. A large percentage of this available habitat has vehicle access. Your next point about 2wd cars is irrelevant, I'm sure squished critters don't care if all 4 wheels are connected to the motor.
Your next sentence makes no sense, I have no idea what your trying to say.
Your last sentence is just a bizarre statement that came from a different conversation and is also probably incorrect.

How is a beach launching area not a beach that's driven on
Who other than you is suggesting stopping cars on beaches means building boat ramps on every beach. Focus if you can and stop the nonsense.
Then you tell us that Emu Bay is the only beach you can drive on other than the other beaches you can drive on which isn't driving because....
You don't live on the island and nobody is saying no access and nobody said no advertising.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think the boat access locations are different. 50m? 100m? Wildlife establish corridors where they safely traverse land. The curlews have done that at my place (I have left a grove which is pretty much an untouched acre surrounded by wattles and gums which gets thrashed once a year mid winter ish). I would think that bikes present more of an issue on the non trafficable beaches. We all know how well those comply with local rules when you can bolt into the scrub. Are the plovers nesting all over the island or just a few spots? Surprised that tides are taking out birds though to be honest.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think the boat access locations are different. 50m? 100m? Wildlife establish corridors where they safely traverse land. The curlews have done that at my place (I have left a grove which is pretty much an untouched acre surrounded by wattles and gums which gets thrashed once a year mid winter ish). I would think that bikes present more of an issue on the non trafficable beaches. We all know how well those comply with local rules when you can bolt into the scrub. Are the plovers nesting all over the island or just a few spots? Surprised that tides are taking out birds though to be honest.
On 73 beaches of KI, apparently.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
On 73 beaches of KI, apparently.

View attachment 376061
I was downloading a report but it crashed. That now makes no sense. I am not a fan of beach driving for the sake of beach driving but while it is legal this becomes a moral issue. Hard to rationalise the push to ban on that data. I could be missing something.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was downloading a report but it crashed. That now makes no sense. I am not a fan of beach driving for the sake of beach driving but while it is legal this becomes a moral issue. Hard to rationalise the push to ban on that data. I could be missing something.
Some info can be subjective, but a ground nesting bird would have a lot of natural predators too. When greenies move out of their homes and revegetate the land, I'll give up MTBing and beach driving, but I'll bet that will never happen.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
LTIH: When you order parts and you get super quick postage, ordered on the weekend delivered today, only to find out they left out a part. Ordered a XD driver for the trainer it is meant to include a new smaller locknut but was not in the bag, knowing my luck it will now take a week or two to get this bit.

ozzybmx

"Freediver, post: 3411365, member: 85696"
Ok, we will go back to this one for starters.

Your next point about 2wd cars is irrelevant

Your next sentence makes no sense

I have no idea what your trying to say.

Your last sentence is just a bizarre statement

Who other than you is suggesting stopping cars

Focus if you can and stop the nonsense.

Then you tell us that Emu Bay is the only beach you can drive on

You don't live on the island and nobody is saying no access and nobody said no advertising.
Took you off ignore a few weeks ago due to verbal diarrhoea on every post.

Have another year in the hole for your shit attitude.

EDIT: Ahhh deleted the post.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fkn strava.. Visited a trail i built and the amount of corner cutting and straight lining really pisses me off.. I know for sure it’s stravaholes chasing Kom’s as they brag about it online and I have seen them do it will sessioning it and checking their time each run.. Takes a certain type of ahole to straight line a series of bermed corners that the majority enjoy riding.. Clearly they are the type that don’t ride for enjoyment..
Really tempted to delete the segment (I created it) to piss them off.. Or am i being too petty?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I actually quite like strava, but not challenging anyone's times so it's just for me really. But fuck modifying someone else's work just so you can boast on the socials. Loads of little shortcuts have appeared all over Stromlo's climbs - probably ebikers given the way the lines look - and seems like they appear as quickly as trail crew can throw debris over them.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Fkn strava.. Visited a trail i built and the amount of corner cutting and straight lining really pisses me off.. I know for sure it’s stravaholes chasing Kom’s as they brag about it online and I have seen them do it will sessioning it and checking their time each run.. Takes a certain type of ahole to straight line a series of bermed corners that the majority enjoy riding.. Clearly they are the type that don’t ride for enjoyment..
Really tempted to delete the segment (I created it) to piss them off.. Or am i being too petty?
You have the power to