Good XC brake recommendations?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
So I've got a pretty old single speed I'm considering bringing back to life but the brakes on it are Avid XXs which - unless someone knows of some black magic to bring such unremitting pos back to life - will be removed as they've been a near endless pita (they came on the bike when I bought it secondhand).

Initially I was just going to scour the internet for some cheap 2 pot XTs or whatever (mineral oil preferred) but thought it'd be worth asking: any other recommendations for a hassle free, reasonably powerful 2 pot brake? M8000 XTs seem to be around $300 a pair new, so that's the ballpark(ish). Cheers.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i find very little diff between xt/slx and deore, what about the deore 4 pot 6120 or 520? the 520 are still around the 140 mark i think

or mix match slx levers and deore calipers, 6120 caliper 75 pushys, levers slx are 55 at bikebug, grab a hose kit to go with

Lucaw

Next in line
sram level t. Strong, decently powerful, don’t need to be bled too often and you can reuse the old brake pads as they are the same
Oh, and there about $200 new for a set

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
sram level t. Strong, decently powerful, don’t need to be bled too often and you can reuse the old brake pads as they are the same
Oh, and there about $200 new for a set
Couple of mates have had Levels and weren't fans. Similar issue to Guides, modulation that could be measured in timezones etc. Have you had modulation / bite point issues?
Formula cura 2? Get good reviews and are pretty light so good for xc.
These look good. Little bit more than I want to spend though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Shimano SLX or Deore would be the default choice. There's only 50gms per end difference between 2 pots and 4 pots although that grows by another 10-15gms if you are using the ti backed 2 pot pads.

Cura 2s would be insanely powerful for xc use. Would be the Gucci option in gold.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Lucaw

Next in line
Couple of mates have had Levels and weren't fans. Similar issue to Guides, modulation that could be measured in timezones etc. Have you had modulation / bite point issues?
None, pretty consistent all the time, right up to the point where they are literally on fire. I may have gotten a good set though...
As for guides, worst brakes ever

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go SLX or XT 2 pot. Have had Level T, Elixir XX World Cups, XT 2 pot, and more recently XTR. The Levels were pretty consistent and I didn't have any issues with them, but just didn't have the same bite or stopping power as Shimano offerings.

I'd say the XT with metallic pads is definitely the best middle ground.

Go

Likes Dirt
If uou could get some XT M785... the holy grail of 2 pot brakes. Before Shimano went to shit. XTR race are pretty meh from experience, not enough power and no servo wave.

I'd say G2 RSC are the way to go but they're on the expensive side.

Deore 4 pots are very good for the money.

Deep down you know you want Trickstuff.

YOLO^

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Having multiple sets of each on different bikes....I find the 8000 slightly more powerful, but 785’s a lot more consistent in their feel.
I didn't really find a power difference? Maybe better lever feel on the 8000, definitely prefer the dimples on the lever too. But have had bleed issues on the 7000/8000 that I never had on the older series stuff, 785s are the gold standard for price-performance-reliability-easy servicing. Once you've had this everything else makes you rethink your choices in life.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I didn't really find a power difference? Maybe better lever feel on the 8000, definitely prefer the dimples on the lever too. But have had bleed issues on the 7000/8000 that I never had on the older series stuff, 785s are the gold standard for price-performance-reliability-easy servicing. Once you've had this everything else makes you rethink your choices in life.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
I think the lever is slightly bigger...might just give more pull...or I might be kidding myself.

Scotty675

Cable thief
If I could find 785s new I’d still be buying them. They were great brakes. I would put them above 7000/8000 for consistency and with metals didn’t lack power

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have metal pads in my 785’s and don’t really notice a power difference to the m8000’s.. M8000 dimpled lever feels better though..

Having said that OP, the m8120 4 pot calipers are fabulous.. The power difference is very real.. Reverse bleed them like in that Marshy pinkbike video and there is no bite point wandering..

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If I could find 785s new I’d still be buying them. They were great brakes. I would put them above 7000/8000 for consistency and with metals didn’t lack power
Heck even the SLX/Deore version of this, M615 i think, worked like a charm. I still got two sets (M615 and M785) for a rainy day in the shed, brand new. Picked up for $140 a set (F+R) for the xt and $100 a set for the deore. Never letting them go even with the onset of four pots.

I rekon magura are the best brakes I've used though, just have to burn through my shimano stash first.