Good XC brake recommendations?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Heck even the SLX/Deore version of this, M615 i think, worked like a charm. I still got two sets (M615 and M785) for a rainy day in the shed, brand new. Picked up for $140 a set (F+R) for the xt and $100 a set for the deore. Never letting them go even with the onset of four pots.

I rekon magura are the best brakes I've used though, just have to burn through my shimano stash first.
Nice stash I’m jealous. I do rate maguras they are a top brake. Only got one set of mt7/mt8 but they have been brilliant. I rate the mt7 as the most powerful brake I’ve tried.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just get the cheapest Shimano 4 spots, MT520 and stick some race matrix pads in them. Shimano are the masters of building a good widget in the base model then sticking different branding, colours and badges on it so they can charge you 3x for the same shit. Aside from needing a allen key to adjust reach they are the same as all the others.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have those levers and don't rate them (at least for everyday use). Definitely deliver less power than the non-race levers (lack of servo-wave) and don't bite as quickly, you really have to pull on them. I seem to have to run the levers really far out too, otherwise i'm pulling into the bar to lock them up. Quite a stretch, and I don't have small hands either.

Goddamn are they light though.

moorey

call me Mia
I have those levers and don't rate them (at least for everyday use). Definitely deliver less power than the non-race levers (lack of servo-wave) and don't bite as quickly, you really have to pull on them. I seem to have to run the levers really far out too, otherwise i'm pulling into the bar to lock them up. Quite a stretch, and I don't have small hands either.

Add a bit of positive pressure in the bleed. Make sure you bleed with levers wound right out.

Scotty675

Cable thief

Something is definitely up if that’s the case. I’m running a couple of sets of 9100 and a couple of sets of 9120. They are both fantastic. I have small hands and no way am I getting the lever anywhere near the bars. My 9120s are backed off so levers don’t grab till closer to the bars.
Id like to hear if others are having problems.
@Asininedrivel I offer a money back guarantee if this is the case.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe I need to look at them again then - had tried a slightly positive pressure but didn't seem to help. Been meaning to try a full rebleed on them at some point to see if it helps, probably worth giving it a go I guess.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Something is definitely up if that’s the case. I’m running a couple of sets of 9100 and a couple of sets of 9120. They are both fantastic. I have small hands and no way am I getting the lever anywhere near the bars. My 9120s are backed off so levers don’t grab till closer to the bars.
Id like to hear if others are having problems.
@Asininedrivel I offer a money back guarantee if this is the case.
All good :) I've got a set of 9120s on another bike and no issues. Recommend giving the Galfa pads a go if you want to see what they can really do..

Scotty675

Cable thief
Maybe I need to look at them again then - had tried a slightly positive pressure but didn't seem to help. Been meaning to try a full rebleed on them at some point to see if it helps, probably worth giving it a go I guess.
I’d give them a full flush and good lever bleed. I’ve done less to my 9100s than I have to the 9120s. Admittedly the 9120s do a lot more downs so I regularly do a quick lever bleed to see how black the fluid is. The pads aren’t glazed are they?

Scotty675

Cable thief
All good :) I've got a set of 9120s on another bike and no issues. Recommend giving the Galfa pads a go if you want to see what they can really do..
I haven’t tried the galfer pads yet but wanted to for my cura 4s but they were out of stock, are you running pro (green)?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d give them a full flush and good lever bleed. I’ve done less to my 9100s than I have to the 9120s. Admittedly the 9120s do a lot more downs so I regularly do a quick lever bleed to see how black the fluid is. The pads aren’t glazed are they?
Not glazed, no. Brand new & bed in metallic pads & icetech rotors, calipers are 2 pot XT 8100s

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Make sure you bleed with levers wound right out.
Doesn't change anything except the lever position. XTR Race levers, an option from M980-series onward, lack both stroke adjustment and ServoWave, as well as a knob for reach adjust (needing an allen key instead), all in the interests of lightness.

moorey

call me Mia
Doesn't change anything except the lever position.
You always say this. Having done a ton of bleeds with lever both in and out, it totally does. If you bleed with levers in close, they will come in too close to the bar before biting. If you bleed with them out, then move them in, they activate further out.
I’ve got a ton of respect for your experience and expertise, but it does change things. Lever position is my point.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you start with lever closer to the bar, then of course it's going to be closer when the pads contact vs a greater reach setting. The point is that the stroke length does not change.

moorey

call me Mia
If you start with lever closer to the bar, then of course it's going to be closer when the pads contact vs a greater reach setting. The point is that the stroke length does not change.
I never said said the stroke length changed....he said levers were coming in too far and doesn’t have big hands.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fwiw i find the free stroke screw wound out does pretty much the same as winding out the reach adjust when bleeding.. Less faffing to get the reach setup again..