TAS FOUND: Bolt up skewer for 5x135 rear hub

Lucaw

Next in line
Item: Bolt up skewer for 5x135 rear hub
Willing to pay: I don’t know, you tell me
Extra info: my qr skewer keeps coming undone so I decided it might be try a bolt up one and hope that it doesn’t come undone when I ride

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Try a security skewer set

Or if you can wait a bit longer

...but it might just be a crummy QR skewer. I can see what I have in the parts bin if you like?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Try a security skewer set

Or if you can wait a bit longer

...but it might just be a crummy QR skewer. I can see what I have in the parts bin if you like?

I was looking at these security options for a qr wheel earlier.

These seem to be the schnizzer in that world. Cool idea, can't be opened while the bike is upright and once you flip it upside down then gravity does its thing to allow it to release.

Nice just for the geekery of this idea.
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/cont...ormation/current-key/001751.html?type=bicycle

Lucaw

Next in line
I’m concerned that your current skewer is slipping. Never had it happen. As @Plankosaurus says, might just be your current skewer. Or your dropouts.
I’ll change skewer and see if it’s fixed, but I’ve also had the seat come loose from vibrations. This is on th norco, so stiff hardtail frame and stiff rear wheel.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll change skewer and see if it’s fixed, but I’ve also had the seat come loose from vibrations. This is on th norco, so stiff hardtail frame and stiff rear wheel.
Mates used to race full blown DH races back in the day with QR on hard tails without shit coming loose.
QR or bolt up seat clamp?
Not all QR’s are equal. I found old XT’s to be as good as any.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Not all QR’s are equal. I found old XT’s to be as good as any.
Word.

The ones with a plastic seat for the cam can compress or spread out, which will mean you won't get the tension you need. Metal ones can get sticky and prevent you from tightening them when there's enough tension on the skewer.

Could try adding a little grease into the cam and see if you can tighten it down better?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had it happen once a long time ago, while using a hope skewer. At the time I was all "fuck you bike!" but I am sure that the reality was part user error and part bike. I found that if I checked the qr mechanism every now and then while doing shuttles, dirt jump laps, or in between push laps etc that it never gave me a problem again.

Have you checked the drop outs to make sure they aren't deformed?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Something in the rear hub may be coming loose or bending, I had the same issue happen a long time ago until the hub internals snapped in half.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I've had it happen once a long time ago, while using a hope skewer. At the time I was all "fuck you bike!" but I am sure that the reality was part user error and part bike. I found that if I checked the qr mechanism every now and then while doing shuttles, dirt jump laps, or in between push laps etc that it never gave me a problem again.

Have you checked the drop outs to make sure they aren't deformed?
I love Hope...their skewers are pants.

Lucaw

Next in line
FOUND: I put a shimano in and re rode the same track as it came loose last time and it’s solid as a rock.

ausdb

Being who he is
I think the worst ones ever were those Ringlé twisters from the 90s. No cam action at all and not a quick release either.