Formula One world championship

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What are people's thoughts on the Redbull flexy wing? Having watched the video and read the rules I reckon it is a case of Merc and maybe others whining because they didn't think of it themselves. To enact a rule change midway to apply a new test is bullshit. The rules simply state that the wing must withstand a load of xN and not deflect. While the intent is most likely that wings don't deflect under load if you give a set criterion and at some other positions the wing does something else then your rule is at fault not that the manufacturer is cheating. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck if the wings did a fandango at speed as long as they meet the incredibly prescriptive rules laid out before the season started. The other teams were critical of racing point wanting the aero changes reviewed because they stuffed up and yet this is not much different... No fan of Max or Redbull but squeezing anything others haven't to gain a competitive advantage is part of the sport. I mean let's handicap Merc for the last 6 years for having the best engine?????
Rules are clear:

Article 3.8 of the Technical Regulations requires all components influencing the car’s aerodynamic performance to be “rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car”, and to “remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car”.
Elsewhere in the rules, the FIA adds it “reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of) moving whilst the car is in motion.”

It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened either.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rules are clear:

Article 3.8 of the Technical Regulations requires all components influencing the car’s aerodynamic performance to be “rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car”, and to “remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car”.
Elsewhere in the rules, the FIA adds it “reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of) moving whilst the car is in motion.”

It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened either.
Plus I reckon Ferarri has a few revenge points in the bag to throw RBs way after the whole flow sensor "incident" from 2018 they are still recovering from. Fingers crossed red bull are fked because the shoe is 100% on the other foot.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Vestappen? Yes... good to see Lewis run out of track at the end. Still wondering how Alonso picked up 6 spots in the restart.
Freudian slip.
The Perez Hamilton battle had me hooked for most of the race. Checo drove a stormer and it's mad to think he was almost without a drive at the end of last season.

As for his team, I reckon Red Bull took a massive gamble that paid off in the most bizarre and unlikely way. We heard Horner specifically call for a red flag even though the race was looking to finish under the safety car. I reckon he'd have been hoping that with it being so close to the end, the FIA might call the race which would have awarded the win to Max seeing as he was leading going after the last completed lap. Obviously it damn near backfired as the fact they went for a restart meant that Hamilton could get the jump on Perez and it was only blind luck that stopped Perez from being cruelly robbed of a well-earned victory.

It sounds like the McLarens had a bit of a tussle back in the opening laps with Norris and Ricciardo swapping positions a couple of times but I don't think we got to see any of that?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
i dont dislike hamilton but im glad he didnt profit from max's misfortune, keeps the front of the title race competitive. must be terrifying to have a tyre blow out going flat out down the straight.
Stroll's crash in particular was a nasty one. Pirelli seem to be slipping back into their dodgy QC ways.
Speaking of which, on a random tangent, do Pirelli still make their famously pervy calendar these days?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It sounds like the McLarens had a bit of a tussle back in the opening laps with Norris and Ricciardo swapping positions a couple of times but I don't think we got to see any of that?
Nah, just some random out of context overtaking that initially made me think Ricciardo had overtaken Norris, but it was not to be.

Was a great race. Hats off to Perez, he drove flawlessly in both keeping Hamilton in check and not letting Verstappen pull an enormous lead either. I take back everything bad I've ever said about him.

Great last gasp battle between Gasly and Leclerc in the final couple of laps too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Checo drove a great race. Perez is the perfect foil. Knows he won't win a driver's championship and has been treated like a second class driver all his career so being a formal #2 doesn't bother him. Gasly needs that extra care and attention and he would never get that at Verstappen racing Inc. Alpha Tauri is a good package too.

The close-ups of Stroll's tyre showed there was plenty of rubber left and the sidewall to tread joint let go. Big trouble for Pirelli with some higher load circuits coming. Expect more pressure and a rejigging of compounds.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The 2 tyre failures and subsequent crashes I think illustrate what a good job Nigel Mansell did at Adelaide in 1986 when he managed to keep his Williams pointing in the right direction after his tyre failure.
And I am by no means a Mansell fan.
Mansell can be a bit of a dick sometimes but I've always been a fan. No other driver could rock a 'tache like him!

As for dealing with a sudden flat at an inopportune time I suppose Hamilton's tyre drama at Silverstone last year is up there.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The 2 tyre failures and subsequent crashes I think illustrate what a good job Nigel Mansell did at Adelaide in 1986 when he managed to keep his Williams pointing in the right direction after his tyre failure.
And I am by no means a Mansell fan.
Aw c'mon, Mansell was a demon on the overtakes and racing hard yet fairly. Unfortunately also turned into a total flog out of the car but semantics. Still awesome.

Credit to Stroll though (I know, first time for everything) - in car camera showed how well he held that post blowout stack, steered into the spin(s) and kept the car from pirouetting across the track.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Damn good race. I thought check would go long and drive onto the podium, great drive while others' tyres were falling apart.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Verstappen is not putting a foot wrong atm, and with Perez doing all that's being asked of him and Bottas faltering Mercedes' grip on the manufacturers championship may be slipping. Shaping up to be a great season.

Riccardo had a decent race too.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Cracking race yet again. There really is nothing separating the Mercs and the Red Bulls - even after the ban on Red Bull’s bendy wing. It’s shaping up to be a classic season

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Watched a couple of interviews after the race. The one with Toto and Christian is good. Nico throws a couple of barbs in too. Interesting that Merc thought that Sergio passed Bottas and exceeded track limits, looked pretty easy to me. Maybe saying they expected a 5s penalty was an excuse for forgetting to pit Bottas? Anyway Bottas is gone at the end of this season and George is in, if Lewis doesn't win the championship I reckon he will pull the pin. George is not going to be happy to play second fiddle.

Daniel had a decent race and it was weird to me that only Redbull and McLaren seemed keen to try split strategies with early and late pitting. The teams must know that the undercut is worth more on a track that kills tyres, happens every time. Regardless if this is what happens when the temps on raceday are different to FP sessions let's have more of that.