Formula One world championship

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The finish to Lemans was pretty bloody sad, those guys would all feel so down on it.

"Baku was fun!" ................said not one person ever.
So glad I watched the last 10 mins of Le Mans before I switched over the the F1's, what a way to lose it!

Yeah let that Baku race through to the keeper...that was average! Red Bull was worse than average, you can really see why Ricciardo was fuming about that missed opportunity in Monaco!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've never had the desire to go to France. Don't get me wrong, I love travelling and seeing the world but France? Yeah nah. I do however have the urge to set up camp for a couple of nights at Lemans and watch that race, that'd be something else.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Baku had the possibility of being awesome, but only if they started binning it left, right and centre. What we got was a super dull procession. Even the "overtaking" was dull - DRS plus 10km long straights was always going to be a zero defend situation. Nothing exciting there at all.

Red Bull don't seem to know what they're doing - they went with engine upgrades and low down force (since they are down on top speed compared to the Mercs and Ferrari's), then found that they couldn't preserve their tyres enough to get a 2 stop strategy done. Nico just disappeared up the road, laughing all the way.
I don't think Vettel is getting enough credit for his improvements in a car's performance. I look at it like this: He left Red Bull just after the new turbo era began and landed in a car that was a heap shit (The Ferrari that is). The Red Bull wasn't much better in the same sense but the Ferrari has improved at a better rate than the Red Bull and he's smoking his team mate in the process. Fair cop, the Renault engine has been a bit of a donkey until late but the Ferrari is more consistently quicker. I reckon Vettel has a great intellect in getting a car developed into a potential winner quicker than most.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Baku had the possibility of being awesome, but only if they started binning it left, right and centre. What we got was a super dull procession. Even the "overtaking" was dull - DRS plus 10km long straights was always going to be a zero defend situation. Nothing exciting there at all.

Red Bull don't seem to know what they're doing - they went with engine upgrades and low down force (since they are down on top speed compared to the Mercs and Ferrari's), then found that they couldn't preserve their tyres enough to get a 2 stop strategy done. Nico just disappeared up the road, laughing all the way.
Honestly I thought that track had carnage written all over it! Maybe the GP2 race would've been better to watch because it sounds like there was action!

I wouldn't say Red Bull don't know what they're doing, it just wasn't a Red Bull suited track. That long straight was always going to hurt them, they must be really looking forward to Monza! :p

I don't think Vettel is getting enough credit for his improvements in a car's performance. I look at it like this: He left Red Bull just after the new turbo era began and landed in a car that was a heap shit (The Ferrari that is). The Red Bull wasn't much better in the same sense but the Ferrari has improved at a better rate than the Red Bull and he's smoking his team mate in the process. Fair cop, the Renault engine has been a bit of a donkey until late but the Ferrari is more consistently quicker. I reckon Vettel has a great intellect in getting a car developed into a potential winner quicker than most.
I think some credit has to go to Raikkonen as well, the Ferrari was a donkey in 2014 but has developed into a podium spec car. Ferrari seem to be reasonably happy with the Vettel/Raikkonen combo, so why change it?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I don't think Kimi is on the same page setting up a bad car or developing it. He is a good foil for Seb and doesn't rock the boat. Ferrari aren't ready for the replacement next year so keeping it as it is works for them.

As for the Red Bulls I think the time they lost in free practice compromised their data and they just didn't know how hard they were going to be on the rears. If they had you can bet they would have gone straight to the medium compound and done better.

Otherwise, yawn. Stop giving these jobs to Herman! Hopefully the European races will see some competition.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There's no question that Rosberg is the biggest fuckwit in world motor sport. To even suggest that Hamilton was in the wrong in any aspect of that incident is absurd. Actually, I'm surprised how relaxed they were with the passing under yellow flag thing as Hamilton did make the pass under yellow but against an ailing car. The cars behind were passing each other too so I'm surprised there wasn't a bit of a blow up over it.
The fans that booed Hamilton that skipped across the border to cheer for the German should feel pretty stupid too, none of that was neccesary.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon Rosberg just needs to stop trying to be all diplomatic and embrace the ruthless asshole he is on the track. It's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread has been a bit quiet...especially considering the F1 action lately!

On another note I've managed to convince the other half to go to Melbourne GP next year, I've been before and I really enjoyed the Fri and Sat but thought the race was average in General Admin due to crowds! Anyone have any tips for grandstand seats for the race? Hoping I could get reserved seat so we can just rock up for the race before it starts as pre-race last time around was lacklustre!

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I think that the only one day grandstand tickets are around turn 15, the rest are multi day tickets.

As for the racing, Hamilton should win it from here with all of his engine penalties taken at Spa. Car updates will slow down from here to the end of the year as teams focus on 2017 which means that the status quo shouldn't move too much. Ferrari vs. RB for second is the main battle left, and whether Vettel gets beaten by Kimi a couple of years after he got beaten by Dan.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that the only one day grandstand tickets are around turn 15, the rest are multi day tickets.

As for the racing, Hamilton should win it from here with all of his engine penalties taken at Spa. Car updates will slow down from here to the end of the year as teams focus on 2017 which means that the status quo shouldn't move too much. Ferrari vs. RB for second is the main battle left, and whether Vettel gets beaten by Kimi a couple of years after he got beaten by Dan.
Ok cheers I'm going to have a look into it! I don't think a reserved seat for the entire event is necessary!

I agree I think Hamilton will edge out Rosberg for the title, kind of a shame the it's a competition for best of the rest as opposed to a title fight!

After Spa I reckon Verstappen should be on notice, if he keeps driving the way he is there'll be a massive crash!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
This thread has been a bit quiet...especially considering the F1 action lately!

On another note I've managed to convince the other half to go to Melbourne GP next year, I've been before and I really enjoyed the Fri and Sat but thought the race was average in General Admin due to crowds! Anyone have any tips for grandstand seats for the race? Hoping I could get reserved seat so we can just rock up for the race before it starts as pre-race last time around was lacklustre!
I think it's better on TV. When I went to Albert Park most of the "fans" seemed to be focusing on drinking more than the racing. But I guess that's Melbourne sports fans for you. They'll show up to anything as long as they can buy beer in plastic cups.
The sound was the best bit but now that's gone.
I switched on the race on Sunday and honestly thought they were behind the pace car. They look visibly slow and sound terrible. Racing drivers shouldn't have to manage fuel and tyres. They should race.

scblack

Leucocholic
I am currently reading Mark Webber autobiography "Aussie Grit". It's an easy read and I'm engrossed but honestly a bit light on details over major events, like the flipping Mercedes cars. I wish there was more meat of what goes on

Im loving it.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so the sale of F1, will it mean:

A) awesome streaming access for all, or at least some decent shake up of how things are broadcast

B) go straight behind some evil Murdoch paywall and we never see a lap again with out paying $500000 per race

?

dej

Likes Bikes
so the sale of F1, will it mean:

A) awesome streaming access for all, or at least some decent shake up of how things are broadcast

B) go straight behind some evil Murdoch paywall and we never see a lap again with out paying $500000 per race

?
it's murdoch mate, it'll be option B

Big AC

Likes Dirt
In the short term, not much will change. The Australian media rights deal still has a few years to run so it will be the current TV situation for a while.

Longer term I can’t see a group of investors paying $8bn just to give away broadcasting ability over the net (the future of what we call TV); the free streaming services will get some attention from F1’s lawyers.

You’ll see more media access to F1 teams and drivers, more social media coverage, and probably a reality series or two. Here’s hoping we don’t get the stupid Formula E fan boost – motorsport is not a popularity contest. Drivers doing things that are just legal but unpopular should be encouraged, it makes people want to watch (people love a good villain).

The US will get a bigger focus, probably a second race and a push for US drivers (this might be the reality series).

The big issue remains that the decision making process in F1 is convoluted which limits the ability for real change. The top teams are too scared of losing their advantage so don’t want to change (Merc has the advantage now, someone else will have it next year and then they will block changes). F1 needs a smart dictator to lay down the law and deliver a formula for close racing with technological advancement (not easy). Bernie tries to perform this role; however, he doesn’t have the power over the rules; thankfully, remember short cuts on the tracks and gold medals. Bernie won’t last his new three year deal.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The problem with change is that the FIA essentially handed the rule making ability over to the teams a few years back.

A new Concorde agreement is needed that gives the FIA the ability to change rules as it sees fit (not just on grounds of safety), without the approval of the majority of competitors. It's a freakin' shamozzil!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well after a very late decision to penalise Vettel for moving under braking (and probably for calling a Charlie Whiting a lovely person) Daniel has secured 3rd place in the driver's championship. Well done that man.

Can Hamburg defeat Rosilton?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Vettel. Turns out he's still a petulant ****. Who knew.

Also Ferrari Team Principal Maurizio Arrivabene complaining about F1 bureaucracy in what has to win today's irony deficiency award.