Explaining religion to children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei

Likes Dirt
Do a search fit Santos Bonacci on YouTube and watch his videos. Then you'll have a better idea about the real truth behind all religions. Make explaining things easier if you understand it first
Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I talk about religion (lower case 'r') with my (almost) 7yo often, but only because he asks. We (wife is a heathen also) explain what people believe, never in a derogatory or negative way, and that we simply don't believe the same thing. His grandma on wife's side is a JW, my mum is an elder in uniting church. He knows the basics of what they believe, and respects their beliefs (even the 'no Chrissy or birthday' thing on the JW side)
When he asked why they believe what they go, I tell him it's what makes them happy and helps them understand the world.
Btw, both my kids (other is 4), know, and are cool with our bodies turning back into fertilizer when he die. Wife's grandfather is on last legs at the moment, and I loved my 4yo reminding my wife that's it ok, because the worms will eat him.

My tips, never shy away from the questions, never ridicule or trivialize others beliefs (ridiculous as they are), and teach them to respect others beliefs (do as I say, not as I do). I try to explain, as best as I can, what science and nature has on offer to make sense of the world for them.

Whats HARD, is trying to explain to him why one if his friends loudly an frequently tell him that his mum says that ghosts are the tortured spirits of people who don't believe in god, and that's what's going to happen to him (my son) and his family (us). He doesn't believe it, but it baffles him that people would think and say such things...,
Absolutely spot on Moorey, we have the exact same approach with our kids.

workmx

Banned
Moorey, that is an excellent answer.

It is hard not to ridicule or trivialise when the beliefs have a real and negative effect in the world.

If they did not cause harm, it would be so much easier to treat them with respect.

The problem is my 3 year old can already see through the nonsense around religion (without any hints from me).

This was our conversation on Saturday morning, looking at news coverage of a policeman who had been hurt in Sydney:

3yo: "Why is he hurt?"
WM: "Someone threw something at him. It is not good to throw things around." (Gotta get that little lesson in)
3yo: "Why did they throw it?"
WM: "They are angry with someone who said something bad about their god."
3yo: "Why did they say something bad?"
WM: "Because they believe in a different god."
3yo: "Why do they believe in god?"
WM: "I don't know. We would have to ask them that question."
3yo: "Does god exist?"
WM: "What do you think?"
3yo: "Can we see god?"
WM: "No."
3yo: "Can we talk to god?"
WM: "Yes, but there will be no answer."
3yo: "So, maybe there is no god."
WM: "Do you think so?"
3yo: "Yes... so why did they throw something?"
WM: "Because someone who believes in a god that cannot be proven said something bad about another god that cannot be proven."
3yo: "And the policeman got hurt?"
WM: "Yes"
3yo: "That is just silly."

Last edited:

faz

Likes Dirt
My daughter and I had a chat about what happened in Sydney yesterday.

Needless to say, it is tricky to explain such things to the satisfaction of an inquiring mind.

How do you explain religion and religious beliefs to kids? Especially ones that you do not share.
Tell her to ask mum....

willsy01

Eats Squid
Ask them if they have an imaginary friend then when they say yes explain that religion is the same thing.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Tell her to ask mum....
LOL - Moorey da number 2 now. ;D

Religion may have done plenty of bad things, but you can also thank it for the organisation of society, the family unit, care for the disabled, education, much of the artistic world, architecture etc etc.

As Bwian might say - always look on the bright side.....

kjd

Likes Bikes

Religion may have done plenty of bad things, but you can also thank it for the organisation of society, the family unit, care for the disabled, education, much of the artistic world, architecture etc etc.

Totally disagree,
You can't claim all of that because of religion. A lot of what you claim is just human nature. It's like saying that morals only exist because of religion. It's BS. Morals exist because they are mutually beneficial and those with morals and rules and worked together survived to outlive those without. Simple natural selection.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Totally disagree,
You can't claim all of that because of religion. A lot of what you claim is just human nature. It's like saying that morals only exist because of religion. It's BS. Morals exist because they are mutually beneficial and those with morals and rules and worked together survived to outlive those without. Simple natural selection.
You may have noticed i didnt write "morals" (or about being good or bad), because i agree with you, but the other stuff has required organised religion to become part of society.

A very well regarded athiest wrote a great book on this subject - Allaine De botton, religion for athiests, well worth it for an education.

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Totally disagree,
+1. Morals and Ethics should (and do) still exist regardless of Religion.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

did they believe in god and jesus BEFORE the days of the bible??. are you saying that in those times they had no organisation of society, family, care for the sick and elderly , no education, art or architecture?
BOLLOCKS!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
did they believe in god and jesus BEFORE the days of the bible??. are you saying that in those times they had no organisation of society, family, care for the sick and elderly , no education, art or architecture?
BOLLOCKS!
Bible? the concept of gods wasnt invented by christians, nor Jews.

Think about the oldest buildings on this planet - lets take the ancient 7 wonders as a convenient summary list - Pyramid of giza, check, helicarnussus, check, collosus of rhodes, check, hanging gardens of babylon - nope, lighthouse of alexandria, nope, temple of artemis, check, statue of zeus, lol, check,

there is no even slightly developed society in history that had no religion/mythology etc. Its entirely ubiquitous. You might have to go back to neanderthal society to find such a vacuum.

A.France

Likes Bikes
it seams that a lot of people on here dislike religion. but you should not its is the same as some one hate you for riding bikes

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
it seams that a lot of people on here dislike religion. but you should not its is the same as some one hate you for riding bikes
I have yet to see anybody waving a placard proclaiming "Behead all those who insult the Cannondale Prophet!" although given the fervour of Cannondale's 'Lefty' disciples I'm actually surprised by this...

Status
Not open for further replies.