Explaining religion to children

Status
Not open for further replies.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
And I quote myself:
In terms of offensiveness, I'd say it's close to being on the same level as racist comments.
To put it simply: If you say "God is a c*nt" or some variation to a religious person, they would be very offended. Not as offended as a racist comment was directed at them, but close. I'm not saying that insulting God=hate speech.

Hey, you're free to suck all the salty balls you want. Aside from that, worrying they I'm insulting your god smells distinctly like the cries of another overly sensitive branch of religion...
I don't even know where to start. It's a shame that you can't express your point of view in a reasoned, well thought out manner and instead resort to overly simplistic and offensive posts. Obviously this issue runs deep with you. It's pretty easy to keep your shit together on an Internet forum. Failure to do so suggests more about you as a person than your opinion on the topic at hand. Good luck with that. I don't have a god, by the way.

moorey

call me Mia
And I quote myself:

To put it simply: If you say "God is a c*nt" or some variation to a religious person, they would be very offended. Not as offended as a racist comment was directed at them, but close. I'm not saying that insulting God=hate speech.

I don't even know where to start. It's a shame that you can't express your point of view in a reasoned, well thought out manner and instead resort to overly simplistic and offensive posts. Obviously this issue runs deep with you. It's pretty easy to keep your shit together on an Internet forum. Failure to do so suggests more about you as a person than your opinion on the topic at hand. Good luck with that. I don't have a god, by the way.
Youre WAAAY off the mark in your assumption about me, but you go with that. I have presented countless reasoned, and well presented comments on the topic, but if you wanna cherry pick, go nuts.
Let me elaborate. God isn't an arse clown, god is imaginary. The god of the Christian bible is an arse clown.

workmx

Banned
Cossack - As a sociologist, I partially agree wit h your statement about the differences between science and religion.

IF the religious limted themselves to statements about the supernatural. But they continue to make claims about the world that cannot be physically verified.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Ok. This thread has become just another circlejerk of mud-slinging and shit-fighting over the same tired old science vs religion arguments. Either bring something new and/or interesting to the table or it's getting locked.

To be honest, it's gone so far off the original topic that it should be locked anyway but I'll give it a chance to right itself and at least provide a bit of interesting discussion rather than veering into smug, arrogant wankery.

Anyway in other news I saw this little gem:

Anti-jihad ads get New York green light
Date
September 21, 2012

AS VIOLENT and sometimes deadly protests consume much of the Muslim world in response to a US-made video mocking the Prophet Muhammad, New Yorkers will soon encounter an inflammatory advertisement in the train system that reads, ''In any war between the civilised man and the savage, support the civilised man.''

It concludes with the words, ''Support Israel. Defeat Jihad,'' wedged between two Stars of David.

After rejecting the ads, then losing a federal court ruling on First Amendment grounds, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the ads were expected to appear next week at 10 subway stations.

''Our hands are tied,'' said Aaron Donovan, a spokesman for the authority.

In July, the US District Court in Manhattan ruled that the authority had violated the First Amendment rights of the group that sought to place the ad, the American Freedom Defence Initiative.

The authority had cited the ad's ''demeaning'' language in barring its placement.

Meanwhile, the White House has questioned the judgment of a French weekly that published cartoons mocking Muhammad, but said the decision was no justification for violence.

''We have questions about the judgment of publishing something like this,'' White House spokesman Jay Carney said, while adding ''it is not in any way justification for violence''.

''We don't question the right of something like this to be published, we just question the judgment behind the decision to publish it,'' Mr Carney said.

The decision by the French weekly Charlie Hebdo to print obscene cartoons depicting the prophet has led to security being reinforced at French missions and other institutions in countries feared most at risk of a hostile reaction to the French cartoons.

NEW YORK TIMES, AFP

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/anti...green-light-20120920-2698u.html#ixzz271RQ3oo2

I can't believe that barely a week after the US lost 4 diplomats and saw a worldwide shitstorm erupt over a dodgy Tropfest entry they are allowing Pro-Israeli activists go and throw aviation fuel onto the fire. Free speech is all well and good but you've got to exercise some common f***ing sense sometime. I think if I lived in NY I'd be avoiding the subway for the next few weeks
(actually, maybe this should go into the travel tips thread...)

Last edited:

workmx

Banned
Before this thread is locked, I would like to say:

I feel that in my opinion, I have not got a satisfactory answer to my question.

Seems that we can teach kids whatever dogma we want as long as it is accompanied by teaching them critical thinking skills.

Last edited:

workmx

Banned
Generic atheism/theism/polytheism/pantheism and animism thread

New generic atheism, theism, polytheism, pantheism and animism thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.