Explaining religion to children

Status
Not open for further replies.

workmx

Banned
My daughter and I had a chat about what happened in Sydney yesterday.

Needless to say, it is tricky to explain such things to the satisfaction of an inquiring mind.

How do you explain religion and religious beliefs to kids? Especially ones that you do not share.

HR7

Squid
Tell your children it's a long running argument between different religions as to who has the best imaginary friend.

just tell them the truth.
That religion is an evil set of superstitions and rules that were invented to help control people.
Do what we say or you go to 'hell' instead of 'heaven'. Some religions even get creative and promise you 6 dozen virgins in the afterlife if you
are kind enough to kill innocents while you are on earth.
Basically it boils down to 'my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend'

As you can see I am no fan of religion and consider it the greatest cancer on mankind and civilisation.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Needless to say, it is tricky to explain such things to the satisfaction of an inquiring mind.

How do you explain religion and religious beliefs to kids? Especially ones that you do not share.
Surely this depends almost entirely on the age of the child?

The group in sydney to me, seem to be completely insane. They take offense of something that supposed to offend them, advertise it to the world, but wont watch it, then seemingly blame foreign governments for its production. To top it all off, they become violent as well.

perhaps the lesson to children is the importance of secularism -

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Being safe is a good religion. WorkCover is the chuch.

Put on your helmet, gloves, shin and knee pads and ride safely.

And yes, WorkCover is definitely the chuch. They preach what they cannot finance.

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
just tell them the truth.
That religion is an evil set of superstitions and rules that were invented to help control people.
Do what we say or you go to 'hell' instead of 'heaven'. Some religions even get creative and promise you 6 dozen virgins in the afterlife if you
are kind enough to kill innocents while you are on earth.
Basically it boils down to 'my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend'

As you can see I am no fan of religion and consider it the greatest cancer on mankind and civilisation.
Yeah, the last thing you want is to force a set of beliefs on them...

NZSNOWDOG

Likes Dirt
And tell them to have FAITH in what the government and scientists tell us.
Not all people who are religious are nutters.Seems there is a lot scientists cant explain about creation.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Can you source some age appropriate picture books that try and explain religion/s to little ones? Assuming that your kid is quite young? Surely 'mainstream' religions provide propaganda aimed at all age groups/levels of development. They probably have a 1800 number as well. If you could find something for each religion, you could encourage her to read them (or you read them with her) and maybe she could begin to develop her own understanding of what it is all about.

Fuck it, I would tell her that the Sydney protesters are all bad people because they have sex with animals, lie all the time and hate little girls and women in general.

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I can't see any way of describing the concept to children without it being a bit messy. Maybe use an object and tell a story about how all these different people came across it and all of them tried to explain why it was there (like Aborigines and the Dreaming, Islam, Christianity, Science - all are different world views that sound equally foreign to someone coming from another one). Then you can say each had a different explanation and when they listened to each other and respected each other they could see maybe they didn't know everything. But when they didn't respect each other, some teased and bullied the others which wasn't nice, etc.

I guess you stumbled across the paradox that we realise we assign truth to a particular world view over others, but we can't live in the world without holding a world view, whether that's scientific, christian, muslim, scientology, relativism, nihilism, etc, its still a choice of how we wish to make sense of the world. There's no escaping the need for humans to assign truth value to things.

kjd

Likes Bikes
Fixed for you
Science can't explain fairy tales with no evidence to support them.

Sorry creation did not happen. Intelligent design was a way to explain the unexplainable before man could explain where and how we exist.

The why is that we are the fittest which is why we are here.

moorey

call me Mia
I talk about religion (lower case 'r') with my (almost) 7yo often, but only because he asks. We (wife is a heathen also) explain what people believe, never in a derogatory or negative way, and that we simply don't believe the same thing. His grandma on wife's side is a JW, my mum is an elder in uniting church. He knows the basics of what they believe, and respects their beliefs (even the 'no Chrissy or birthday' thing on the JW side)
When he asked why they believe what they go, I tell him it's what makes them happy and helps them understand the world.
Btw, both my kids (other is 4), know, and are cool with our bodies turning back into fertilizer when he die. Wife's grandfather is on last legs at the moment, and I loved my 4yo reminding my wife that's it ok, because the worms will eat him.

My tips, never shy away from the questions, never ridicule or trivialize others beliefs (ridiculous as they are), and teach them to respect others beliefs (do as I say, not as I do). I try to explain, as best as I can, what science and nature has on offer to make sense of the world for them.

Whats HARD, is trying to explain to him why one if his friends loudly an frequently tell him that his mum says that ghosts are the tortured spirits of people who don't believe in god, and that's what's going to happen to him (my son) and his family (us). He doesn't believe it, but it baffles him that people would think and say such things...,

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
I talk about religion (lower case 'r') with my (almost) 7yo often, but only because he asks. We (wife is a heathen also) explain what people believe, never in a derogatory or negative way, and that we simply don't believe the same thing. His grandma on wife's side is a JW, my mum is an elder in uniting church. He knows the basics of what they believe, and respects their beliefs (even the 'no Chrissy or birthday' thing on the JW side)
When he asked why they believe what they go, I tell him it's what makes them happy and helps them understand the world.
Btw, both my kids (other is 4), know, and are cool with our bodies turning back into fertilizer when he die. Wife's grandfather is on last legs at the moment, and I loved my 4yo reminding my wife that's it ok, because the worms will eat him.

My tips, never shy away from the questions, never ridicule or trivialize others beliefs (ridiculous as they are), and teach them to respect others beliefs (do as I say, not as I do). I try to explain, as best as I can, what science and nature has on offer to make sense of the world for them.

Whats HARD, is trying to explain to him why one if his friends loudly an frequently tell him that his mum says that ghosts are the tortured spirits of people who don't believe in god, and that's what's going to happen to him (my son) and his family (us). He doesn't believe it, but it baffles him that people would think and say such things...,
My vote for best answer of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.