Electric Vehicles etc

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
@indica how’s the Seal going? How do you find the ground clearance with kerbs, speed bumps etc?

Have to wait for sometime in March for the Seal (and longer for a tow ball to become available). Weighing up the model I really want v the Atto 3 which might be a bit more practical for carrying the mtb to trails with more ground clearance, and has a tow hitch available now.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Have to wait for sometime in March for the Seal (and longer for a tow ball to become available). Weighing up the model I really want v the Atto 3 which might be a bit more practical for carrying the mtb to trails with more ground clearance, and has a tow hitch available now.
Girlfriend's in the same boat re Atto v Seal. We've hired an Atto 3 for a couple of days on an interstate trip in a month or so which should help push a decision one way or another.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Girlfriend's in the same boat re Atto v Seal. We've hired an Atto 3 for a couple of days on an interstate trip in a month or so which should help push a decision one way or another.
I rate my wife’s Atto 3. Seems well built, has plenty of power for the driving we do, is quiet and comfortable. The Seal is all that, but a 50/50 balanced rear wheel drive sedan v a front wheel drive SUV. If it wasn’t for the uncertainty over when a tow ball might be available, plus the wait, it would be a pretty easy decision for me.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
" A mobile rescue van for stranded electric vehicles will begin scouring the streets of Perth to help cars that have run out of charge under a trial to encourage EV ownership.

Insurance company RAC has announced it will operate one battery top-up van in metropolitan WA, as the state continues to push towards completion of Australia's longest EV charging network.

The van is equipped with a mobile charger capable of providing 15 kilometres of range in 20 minutes for drivers who run out of charge.
It's hoped that'll provide enough juice to get a driver in trouble to the nearest charging station."
ABC story

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
So went to BYD to check out a Seal in person today. Took about 3sec of sitting in it to make my decision. At my size (193cm, 105kg) it is comfier than the Atto 3. Seat goes back further than I need (Atto is probably a few cm short of preferred for me), and the seats are a little wider between the back bolsters. Lock it in.

In less positive news I dinged my wifes Atto 3 at the shops on the way home. :(

indica

Serial flasher
@indica how’s the Seal going? How do you find the ground clearance with kerbs, speed bumps etc?

I really like it, no issues with clearance. It is so comfy and quiet and the stereo is great. The aircon is good too.

I had some issues the other day. My work commute is REALLY long at the moment and the rain was fucking epic. Water over the road causes massive amounts of power to be used which drained the battery and may have confused the BMS.

I had to be towed home.

PM if you are interested in a full run down.

I am still confident in the car, I think it was a well out of the usual stress test.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I really like it, no issues with clearance. It is so comfy and quiet and the stereo is great. The aircon is good too.

I had some issues the other day. My work commute is REALLY long at the moment and the rain was fucking epic. Water over the road causes massive amounts of power to be used which drained the battery and may have confused the BMS.

I had to be towed home.

PM if you are interested in a full run down.

I am still confident in the car, I think it was a well out of the usual stress test.
Yeah, would love to hear more.

How many k’s is your commute? I’ve seen a few stories of the BMS being a bit unreliable below 10%. Apparently you’re supposed to calibrate it and balance the batteries every 3 months by running it below 10% and then charging to 100%

Jabubu

let you google that for me
It’s apparently been a thing lately by dim witted bogans “protesting” the lack of mindless nationalism exhibited by a private corporation.
Ah yes I remember now, I thought it was a protest against self-serve checkouts.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Would be good to hear the details.
Agree, it would be good to hear how far you got and how close to range you were puahing with long commute, how empty before BMS went funny etc. I read years ago about a Leaf having range loss in the rain which is physics really, but this sounds like if you fanged it hard for a bit it might do something to the BMS too because you are caning the battery.

I wonder, if an equiv ICE car had only as much fuel in it to go the range of the EV, how close you'd get to empty in the same heavy weather conditions. That would be a good test instead of the clowns all over socials today who drove an EV 7 series and it cost more than an ICE on a 900km one day trip. Duh.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Agree, it would be good to hear how far you got and how close to range you were puahing with long commute, how empty before BMS went funny etc. I read years ago about a Leaf having range loss in the rain which is physics really, but this sounds like if you fanged it hard for a bit it might do something to the BMS too because you are caning the battery.

I wonder, if an equiv ICE car had only as much fuel in it to go the range of the EV, how close you'd get to empty in the same heavy weather conditions. That would be a good test instead of the clowns all over socials today who drove an EV 7 series and it cost more than an ICE on a 900km one day trip. Duh.
Those road trip “comparisons” really are lowest common denominator trash :(