Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Not that bit, this bit.

Why so?
I probably over simplified that. They’re a bit solar poor due to their climate and latitude, but they have lots of wind. Historically they’ve been a bit resistant to wind for nimby reasons I suspect. And with no fossils of their own energy security was a big deal.

Wind is going in now though, they want 50-60 renewables and are throwing 700billion at it.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I probably over simplified that. They’re a bit solar poor due to their climate and latitude, but they have lots of wind. Historically they’ve been a bit resistant to wind for nimby reasons I suspect. And with no fossils of their own energy security was a big deal.

Wind is going in now though, they want 50-60 renewables and are throwing 700billion at it.
I've often wondered that given Japan's climate, topography and volcanic activity they'd be a shoe-in for both hydro-electric and geothermal power networks but the fact that their thirst for Aussie LNG has kept me gainfully employed for so many years suggests that's probably not the case.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I've often wondered that given Japan's climate, topography and volcanic activity they'd be a shoe-in for both hydro-electric and geothermal power networks but the fact that their thirst for Aussie LNG has kept me gainfully employed for so many years suggests that's probably not the case.
Mountain areas are very susceptible to earthquake activity (mate's family owns some fabulous mountain land but are not allowed to build or use it other than recreation), there is some hydro but not as much as you would think and their appetite for energy is higher than they could get from geothermal. Anyway if the government said you will all buy three wheeled cars painted blue and yellow fueled on dogpooh there would be a stampede to comply. After Fukushima there was a serious undersupply of power if industry and commercial and domestic consumption stayed at previous levels. Industry was told to spread demand and conserve energy and domestic users were asked to help. Net result was a huge oversupply of capacity!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
US cars are ridiculously cheap compared to here aren't they? I'd love a Ranger sized electric ute - I can see a lot of people running out of power in the middle of whoop whoop though!

ozzybmx

US cars are ridiculously cheap compared to here aren't they? I'd love a Ranger sized electric ute - I can see a lot of people running out of power in the middle of whoop whoop though!
Yes, its a rip off.

We actually made Holden Commodores here in South Australia, rebadged them and shipped them to the US as Chevys, over the fence from the Holden plant at the Elizabeff Holden dealer, they were shit loads more expensive.

Same with the current Ford 150 Raptor, $55kUS ($70k aussie), current price to buy one in Australia is $220k-250k.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mountain areas are very susceptible to earthquake activity (mate's family owns some fabulous mountain land but are not allowed to build or use it other than recreation), there is some hydro but not as much as you would think and their appetite for energy is higher than they could get from geothermal. Anyway if the government said you will all buy three wheeled cars painted blue and yellow fueled on dogpooh there would be a stampede to comply. After Fukushima there was a serious undersupply of power if industry and commercial and domestic consumption stayed at previous levels. Industry was told to spread demand and conserve energy and domestic users were asked to help. Net result was a huge oversupply of capacity!
For a country home to Shimano they should have more MTB trails if the mountains are only available for recreation!

Haakon

Cycling scene was different, a mate an I went riding around Hiroshima. Needed many Asahis after that.
Mountain biking isn't really a thing in Japan, nor is what we think of road cycling. Its all city bikes and commuters and Mamacharis.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Mountain biking isn't really a thing in Japan, nor is what we think of road cycling. Its all city bikes and commuters and Mamacharis.
I mean... From a perspective of proportionality you're right but that's probably more because there's a broader culture of cycling as transport that we don't have, rather than a lack of enthusiast cycling culture. There's a strong road/CX scene, and don't forget keirin racing. Also a number of the big ski resorts (Niseko, Hakuba...) have summer MTB seasons just like Europe.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mountain biking is a thing but very much seen as an extreme sort of sport. Not so many road commuters because public transport is so good and road users so scary. Holidays are spent doing what everyone else does, if mountain biking takes off it will be huge.

Haakon

I mean... From a perspective of proportionality you're right but that's probably more because there's a broader culture of cycling as transport that we don't have, rather than a lack of enthusiast cycling culture. There's a strong road/CX scene, and don't forget keirin racing. Also a number of the big ski resorts (Niseko, Hakuba...) have summer MTB seasons just like Europe.
Cool. My intel is I admit a bit old... Only cycling i did there was renting a Tokyo Bike hipster bike for a day in Tokyo!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Cool. My intel is I admit a bit old... Only cycling i did there was renting a Tokyo Bike hipster bike for a day in Tokyo!
It's definitely different to here obviously, but I've got a couple of mates living in Tokyo/Yokahama respectively who do a lot of road riding, with good crews (and minority gaijin).

The mamachari life is real though. My experience is different to @Dales Cannon - when I was on exchange in Osaka forever ago, everyone rode bikes to school, even in the middle of winter. If you lived too far away, you rode your bike to the train station, parked it with '000s of others, and caught the train the rest of the way.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's definitely different to here obviously, but I've got a couple of mates living in Tokyo/Yokahama respectively who do a lot of road riding, with good crews (and minority gaijin).

The mamachari life is real though. My experience is different to @Dales Cannon - when I was on exchange in Osaka forever ago, everyone rode bikes to school, even in the middle of winter. If you lived too far away, you rode your bike to the train station, parked it with '000s of others, and caught the train the rest of the way.
I was only talking about the road warriors here and mountain biking as I know it. There are lots and lots of bicycles on the roads for schoolies etc. Roadies didn't seem to be a thing down south but around Yokohama makes sense, it seems to lead the country in many things.

ozzybmx

Holy crap this is well thought out:
It is, I'm not a ute/truck person but its pretty cleverly thought out.

The engineers really took offence and gave the Muskrat a big FU.

Pity there is no plan for RHD, also with Aussie taxes, the equivilent $80k Aus price tag will be $200k plus by the time we would see it.