Electric Vehicles etc

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sort of misses the point about EV to regard them as a faster version of ICE .
However if it brings the bogans along it could be a good thing.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think a lot of supercar manufactures are going to get caught with their pants down. Especially when the Plaid S drops next week, a 4 door saloon that'll beat a SF90? ouch.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I think a lot of supercar manufactures are going to get caught with their pants down. Especially when the Plaid S drops next week, a 4 door saloon that'll beat a SF90? ouch.
Supercars aren't judged just on 0-100 times, especially as it's clear that electric is going to level the playing field as far as acceleration is concerned.

If Tesla can make a car with the breadth of abilities as an M3 or Alfa Giulia then yes many pants will be pulled down.

Of course we're yet to see if BWM or Alfa can do this too!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
They are missing the point. What is needed is a mainstream camry/Mazda3 with range and ease of charging. Fast cars will come along anyway. A 4wd ute that does 0-100 in 4 secs or less? Yeah really useful. What about a 4wd that can go bush camping for 2 weeks and be recharged with solar panels or a generator?

HamboCairns

They are missing the point. What is needed is a mainstream camry/Mazda3 with range and ease of charging. Fast cars will come along anyway. A 4wd ute that does 0-100 in 4 secs or less? Yeah really useful. What about a 4wd that can go bush camping for 2 weeks and be recharged with solar panels or a generator?
Solid state batteries will change everything.

Up to four times the capacity, 100% charge time from 10% in 15 minutes, lighter, they do away with the liquid electrolyte so they're not a fire risk, and they're 100% recyclable. They're hoping to produce a 1,000,000km solid state battery too!

HamboCairns

Thats a long battery ;)

kW ?
It's a fascinating subject with competing methods but here's the Wikipedia excerpt -

"Solid-state battery technology is believed to deliver higher energy densities (2.5x), by enabling lithium metal anodes. They may avoid the use of dangerous or toxic materials found in commercial batteries, such as organic electrolytes."

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Supercars aren't judged just on 0-100 times, especially as it's clear that electric is going to level the playing field as far as acceleration is concerned.

If Tesla can make a car with the breadth of abilities as an M3 or Alfa Giulia then yes many pants will be pulled down.

True, 0-100 times arent everything, but with that acceleration difference I wouldn't be surprised if there is a very wide gap around a track.
And, id counter Tesla do make a M3 competitor, the model 3 performance 0-100 in 3.3secs, $100k on road, compared to the M3 which is 0-100 in 4 seconds and is nearly $60k more. Again, 0-100 aint everything, but 60 grand more for a slower car? No thanks.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
True, 0-100 times arent everything, but with that acceleration difference I wouldn't be surprised if there is a very wide gap around a track.
And, id counter Tesla do make a M3 competitor, the model 3 performance 0-100 in 3.3secs, $100k on road, compared to the M3 which is 0-100 in 4 seconds and is nearly $60k more. Again, 0-100 aint everything, but 60 grand more for a slower car? No thanks.
Acceleration is only a small part of track driving though. Cornering speeds and braking distances are equally important factors and that's where EVs -especially Telstra - fall behind traditional ICEs.

Meanwhile, has this been posted yet? It could be the very thing that would tempt me to drink the kool-aid!

This is the Opel Manta GSe: a rear-drive EV with a manual 'box | Top Gear

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Acceleration is only a small part of track driving though. Cornering speeds and braking distances are equally important factors and that's where EVs -especially Telstra - fall behind traditional ICEs.

Meanwhile, has this been posted yet? It could be the very thing that would tempt me to drink the kool-aid!

View attachment 376106

This is the Opel Manta GSe: a rear-drive EV with a manual 'box | Top Gear
Looks awesome but did I miss the part where they actually explained how marrying a manual gearbox with an electric motor works?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse