Electric Vehicles etc

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I don't have the money yet, but would quite like a Model 3 long-range - except for one thing... Why is there no speedo/instrument cluster on the steering column? I don't want an electric Toyota Yaris FFS!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've driven cars without speedos in the normal spot (like the old Yarises) and don't like it at all (sorry @Scotty T). It feels like I completely lose sight of the road when looking across and down to a central display just to do a speed check. When it's behind the wheel/above the column the road ahead is still in my peripheral vision.

That Ali screen is interesting. I wonder how it copes with software changes as things progress (ie: I don't understand where it's getting it's info from... :p)

Haakon

I've driven cars without speedos in the normal spot (like the old Yarises) and don't like it at all (sorry @Scotty T). It feels like I completely lose sight of the road when looking across and down to a central display just to do a speed check. When it's behind the wheel/above the column the road ahead is still in my peripheral vision.

That Ali screen is interesting. I wonder how it copes with software changes as things progress (ie: I don't understand where it's getting it's info from... :p)
It will just be reading from the canbus.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

No hud? Povo pack stuff.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Just to add, the MOC (Management Of Change) involved with putting in new systems is an absolute PITA, to be honest... if it was up to me to organise and arrange installation, update drawings and get all the ticks of approval, I would say no too.
I was blissfully unaware until recently that it's SAP terminology that calls it MOC.
The one thing I am gathering is that it's implementation is fucking woeful.

Haakon

Yeah, but but but how? (I think I saw something about a USB-C connection? I'm asuuming it hooks in via that...?)
There is a plug and play loom that comes with them, and i guess they tap into a connector somewhere under the dash with the right canbus and sidelight signals etc.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily

Attach your Garmin 530 to the steering wheel. Will show speed and you can download to strava

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I was blissfully unaware until recently that it's SAP terminology that calls it MOC.
The one thing I am gathering is that it's implementation is fucking woeful.
I've worked with SAP on and off for over 30yrs, it's like a bad smell that won't go away. You always get the SAP champions within a company who know how to use it, customise it, then make it completely unusable for the rest of us occasional users.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've worked with SAP on and off for over 30yrs, it's like a bad smell that won't go away. You always get the SAP champions within a company who know how to use it, customise it, then make it completely unusable for the rest of us occasional users.
The brought in SAP at Caterpillar when I worked there. Nearly brought the factory to a stop until they got it sorted. I hated using it, so fortunately my role changed and I didn't need to go near it again!

ozzybmx

The brought in SAP at Caterpillar when I worked there. Nearly brought the factory to a stop until they got it sorted. I hated using it, so fortunately my role changed and I didn't need to go near it again!
That's a coincidence, I worked as a Test Engineer for Caterpillar generator division back in the late 90's. Luckily it was only inventory that ran on SAP and we had very little to with it. We gave the required part numbers to a young admin girl and she did most of the ordering for us.

Sometimes we dropped in to pick shit up and those stores personnel were as pissed off with SAP as we were. Such an overcomplicated system.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
That's a coincidence, I worked as a Test Engineer for Caterpillar generator division back in the late 90's. Luckily it was only inventory that ran on SAP and we had very little to with it. We gave the required part numbers to a young admin girl and she did most of the ordering for us.

Sometimes we dropped in to pick shit up and those stores personnel were as pissed off with SAP as we were. Such an overcomplicated system.
It is bloody complicated. Must have been around 2011 or so when they brought that to Cat here in Tassie.
So it didn't quite

Stop
All
Production?
I had heard that interpretation before, quite apt, I think. :p

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
even the performance 3, so long as you dont option a colour or white interior, qualifies for the FBT exemption. i really dont want that much performance but have to say its tempting

ozzybmx

even the performance 3, so long as you dont option a colour or white interior, qualifies for the FBT exemption. i really dont want that much performance but have to say its tempting
If its you own personal car (not for the missus), definitely go performance if you can.

I was riding my bike last week when I heard this dug, dug, dug, dug noise and the nicest AMG GT-R came past me making the sweetest sound, engine ticking over like a dumper and doing 60-70kph... so nice.

I googled it when I got home, $400k and 0-100 in 3.6s.

Hold on a minute... a $85k model 3 does that same march 3.3s :oops: