EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Love riding with music :) Even better snowboarding but that's another story :D
I used to love this but the last few years i stopped after a death defying near miss. i did it in the park this season... helped me finally hit that bottom booter on front valley@perisher, i think it was because it was blocking all the other senses telling me not to ;) and i was calm and hyped at the same time with some good beats!

John U

MTB Precision
Just because the majority (both cyclists and walkers) are doing it doesn't make it right. Treat everyone on the trails as 90% deaf and you won't have a problem.

At least dogs off their leashes aren't wearing headphones. If that happens I'll lose my shit.

I love the sounds of the bush, and the scrunch of the tyres on the trail, and that momentary silence when you get some air. It's fucking awesome. Same goes for at the snow.

Bermshot

Banned
OK, whats the protocol for headphones while racing a 6 hour?
Can`t say its something I`ve done, but my beloved is about to line up for a big race and likes a few tunes while pedalling away for 6+ hours essentially by herself.
Would that be frowned on? Are there events/races with "no headphone" rules?

Cheers
MH
Pretty sure it's a no no in all racing...XC anyway. It's the only time I don't wear earphones riding and wouldn't if I could. Have seen peeps with little speaker setups though.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure it's a no no in all racing...XC anyway. It's the only time I don't wear earphones riding and wouldn't if I could. Have seen peeps with little speaker setups though.
I did my last lap of the Bendigo 6hr with my phone playing tunes through the speaker. Had a line of 4 other riders all bopping along and singing (badly).

Cheers.
MH

Bermshot

Banned
Be cautious wearing phones when racing. You could get yelled at.
I see your jovial, it would be a laugh especially for me being constantly overtaken, it would def cut down those damn A graders times as they all line up behind oblivious me!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
My singing is so superlative that it renders an external source of music superfluous.
(Sorry to the other riders in earshot at the Scott...)

Crankit

Likes Bikes
Just because you have headphones in doesn't mean you have music "Blaring".

I ride with headphones all the time unless I'm riding with another person. I have it loud enough that I can hear the music but yet still hear what's going on around me. When riding on the road it I have it at a higher volume as traffic is very noisy, as soon as I go on the trails I turn it right down as there is no need to have them up too loud.

It's almost like saying I don't like people with quiet bikes as it's dangerous and I can't hear them.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I never ride with headphones on. I tried it a few times about 10 years ago.

I personally have no interest in listening to music while I am riding. It is like surfing for me - no music. I was in the music industry for 20 years perhaps I use MTBing as an escape - music free time.

It amazes me the number of people who commute with music. I ring my bell, call out that I am passing and then, when I do, they freak out that I snuck up on them. Common sense should prevail.

Not sure of the legalities if you are involved in an accident and wearing headphones.

I see alot of people here are perfectly cool with it and enjoy music while riding..................... perhaps I need to try it again.................. each to their own hey.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm the same, I don't ride with headphones... for me the idea of it is just strange, I enjoy riding my bike, I don't need anything to distract me from that.
I also run (badly) and i know that heaps of people run with headphones (funny, I had only ever know one person that rode with headphones before and that was back in the early 90's, didn't realise so many peopel did), but I never have. I am struggling with the heat here in qld, so lately all my runs have been on the treadmill, and was thinking, its so boring, I may try it. Hated it, I guess I am so used to running with out them for 25 odd years I can't do it.
I always thought that the increase in use with runners is the amount of people that started on a treadmill and used them as a distraction (casue damn the TM is boring) and needed them out on the road, but now I'm thinking maybe people are just so used to having an mp3 player, that it's 2nd nature to them?

How many people rode (for some time) before the influx of ipods etc and now use them all the time vs the people that had mp3's before they started riding?

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Pfft, I ride with them in and my music is so loud my ears ring for an hour after I stop. I never get passed by anyone on my commute and am of the opinion that if you are riding, running or walking in the middle of a path then you deserve to have the shit frightened out of you by a passer by. The volume of my music will not change the outcome whatsoever. In saying that, I see absolutely no danger to me or anybody else while I'm listening to music.
I used to listen to and play stacks of loud music. I'm 50 now and rapidly going deaf.
Same will happen to you.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
I've been surprised, interested, slightly offended & laughing my ass off at this thread, so time for my $0.02

The most surprising thing I have seen is that more people wear headphones on the road than the dirt, personally I'm the other way. On the road I'll occasionally have one earphone in (left ear, away from traffic so the right one if free to hear cars going past etc.)

On the dirt I ride with earphones in maybe 50% of the time, my logic is that I'm less likely to see anyone around in the dirt. Although I must qualify that a lot of the dirt riding I do day to day is fairly non-technical (fire road) or of techy pretty quiet or pretty obvious single direction track...........when I see someone walking up the wrong way I could be in trouble I guess.

Sic

Likes Dirt
That soon they be able to stand next you and call you names without fear of repercussions?

Sic

Likes Dirt
the upside is you can get one of these contraptions and say Ey? Really loudly a lot.

EarHorn.jpg