EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

Nautonier

Eats Squid
i always ride with one earphone in, that way i can hear what else is going on around me.

i have come across just as many people who dont have headphones in that still have no idea what is around them can't get out of the way on a trail when i want to pass!!!!
I've never understood this - music in one channel sounds awful. Worst of both worlds; bad music and compromised safety.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
I've never understood this - music in one channel sounds awful. Worst of both worlds; bad music and compromised safety.
yeah it does, but on some devices you can switch it so that all sound is played through both speakers; makes listing through one speaker easier. I also found cutting off the second speaker has the same effect on the device.....

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
You should only use a getto blaster while riding
Hahah!

I'd like to make a motion to change General MTB Discussion to the "Have A Winge" forum. Seems to be all we get lately is people complaining about everyone else not doing the same thing as them.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hahah!

I'd like to make a motion to change General MTB Discussion to the "Have A Winge" forum. Seems to be all we get lately is people complaining about everyone else not doing the same thing as them.
no whinge mate rather asking if others see it as an issue

i dont give a fuck what other people do until we have a head on.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
no whinge mate rather asking if others see it as an issue

i dont give a fuck what other people do until we have a head on.
well, about 3 weeks ago, i was doing a fastish ride, and came to a section of trail where you can only see about 5m, but its tacky and slightly bermed and after a downhill, so its quick. I always yell out "bike" as i approach that spot just in case someones riding the wrong/other way. Anyways, came round the tree and a guy was riding off to the right of the track - he had heard me coming and bailed. If he didnt hear me, it would have been a pretty nasty head on I believe

(have been yelling bike at the same corner for a couple of years, and this was the first time it paid off)

BennyVdotCOM

Likes Bikes
Just gonna say it. Toughen up guys.

Way to many people bitchin' and moanin' about Strava and loud music(LOUND NOISES!!!). Everyone is liable for their own decisions and digs their own grave. If a dude is belting down a trail trying to beat a Strava time and listening to music and smacks an old lady and her dalmatian so be it. He's up for man slaughter and lives with it for the rest of his life if he kills her(worst case scenario)

Its people moaning about each other that is turning Australia in to a pussy nanny country where everything has rules and regulations. Mind your own business and worry about your doing, forget about others do your own thing.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
I like to hear what's going on around me if I'm riding wherever that happens to be, but if people choose to listen to music, that's their choice. I personally like to ride my mountain bike to get away from noise. Listening to the sounds of the bush is part of the appeal of mountain biking to me.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Personally I can't do it. Too much going on around you in the bush or forest when on an mtb, whether animals, tires breaking traction and concentration overall for me. When I ride I get lost if you will. On the roadie too, there are cars to mention but one danger but on crap roads with steeps descents again listening to your bike helps.

I reckon maybe one earplug of music may be ok but not two. Tried it once doing laps on the bully with left ear in, and none in right, and was singing James Brown out loud when passing a group of ladies training. Get up get on up, get up get on like a sex machine, almost got me shot by these ladies until I explained what was going on. So you see I can't do it.

I am unable to multiskill per se without getting in trouble.

Big JD

Wheel size expert

Way to many people bitchin' and moanin' about Strava and loud music(LOUND NOISES!!!). Everyone is liable for their own decisions and digs their own grave. If a dude is belting down a trail trying to beat a Strava time and listening to music and smacks an old lady and her dalmatian so be it. He's up for man slaughter and lives with it for the rest of his life if he kills her(worst case scenario)

Its people moaning about each other that is turning Australia in to a pussy nanny country where everything has rules and regulations. Mind your own business and worry about your doing, forget about others do your own thing.
wow mate - you for real............... that aint the Australia or society I want to live in

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I ride with headphones so much I don't even know I've got music on... There's been a few times where the battery has gone flat or I'm riding with friends that I've forgotton the sounds your hear when riding without head phones, like the bush, wind whistling in ur ear, the noise the bike makes pounding through a rock garden...... Kinda off putting,,, hehehe

At the end of the day, you've got to be sensible. By the time you hear a car horn, it's too late(they r gonna hit u or stop in time). Maybe it's because I'm getting a bit long in the tooth n grey round the edges, but when I ride where I know there are pedestrians, I slow right down round blind corners n also slow right down as I ride passed them.... I know of n seen lots of guys that Mach 10 it no matter where or who is around..... N these guys don't wear headphones.... :):)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt

Ironically, you are moaning about it.

willsy01

Eats Squid

You should try and be more selfish, you're not quite peaking yet.

I wouldn't drive my car with headphones on.....no way i'm gonna ride my bike with them on. I get out into the bush to get away from that shit.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
How many people who read this thread have the stereo turned off in their car just because they need to hear what is going on around them? Do you see it as a way of being considerate to other drivers and road users? Do you do it just so you can hear a car coming around a blind corner? Does it make it easier to hear a wombat crossing the road around the same blind corner?
Honestly, are you that incompetent on your bike that you need to hear what other people are doing just to feel safe? Do you ride around wearing an inflated sumo suit for protection? Do you have a mirror mounted on your visor that takes up half of your forward vision just in case you actually need to do anything to react to a person coming up behind you that you couldn't do by just turning your head? Do you really see no fault in what you're doing that required your uninterrupted hearing to see why someone sounded their horn at you?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Honestly, are you that incompetent on your bike that you need to hear what other people are doing just to feel safe?
You have 5 senses, only 2 of them are useful on a bike to sense 3rd party dangers - take one of them out and you increase your risk. Secondly, you increase your risk to other people as well - its notable that the reply back a bit seems to be more concerned about the guilt suffered by someone killing a granny than the victim - top stuff that!

People who play stereos in their cars so loud they cant hear an ambulance coming into an intersection are a danger to themselves and others - the vast majority of the population keep their stereos at background levels.

wembas

Likes Dirt
I never ride with headphones in when im off road - part of the enjoyment of being in the great outdoors is the sounds... like the slither off to the side of the trail that you just know was a 12" long king brown !!!

on my commute to work i always wear the headphones - mainly listen to the radio - im still ultra aware of my surroundings - as you have to be when your riding in heavy car and ped traffic... i use my phone to play the radio through , so i take calls while im riding as well... I dont have the volume blaring - just enough to know its there - but not enough to drown out the road noise.

ADD

Likes Dirt
I use my head phones all the fucking time. They're never loud enough to cause me any problems. They cut out half the wind noise that my big ears pick up. I have volume and pause/play buttons on them so I can adjust them on the fly. I can still hear all traffic around me. What about deaf cyclists? They seem to do fine out on the black top. Let's not forget about them. Are you saying they should stay off the road and trails too?
Your points suck.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
what ever works for you

Dozer - I never ride with ear phone/music because I do like to listen out of sounds off road. That wombat or roo running through the scrub, sound of tyres or laughter coming the other way.
Likewise on the road - I can hear car and bike tyres behind me - bike changing gears. Trucks changing gears or that diesel drone. But that is just me
More me I just feel safer if all my senses are engaged - off road and on. I had a head on in the 90s (with a guy wearing headphones and no helmet) on a bike path in Brisbane around a blind overgrown corner - (I called out). We clashed heads and both were knocked cold and taken to hospital. I tore all the muscles in my neck and took a while to recover but the other guy discovered (from a catscan) he had a preexisting blockage to the brain. He was booked in for an operation a week later. I look at it - if we didnt crash, knocked out - he would never of had a scan and found this blockage which might have killed him anytime.
I dont really care what others do - I personally just need that focus. In the car it is the Hi5 and Justine Clark which I just shut off.

willsy01

Eats Squid
How many people who read this thread have the stereo turned off in their car just because they need to hear what is going on around them? Do you see it as a way of being considerate to other drivers and road users? Do you do it just so you can hear a car coming around a blind corner? Does it make it easier to hear a wombat crossing the road around the same blind corner?
Honestly, are you that incompetent on your bike that you need to hear what other people are doing just to feel safe? Do you ride around wearing an inflated sumo suit for protection? Do you have a mirror mounted on your visor that takes up half of your forward vision just in case you actually need to do anything to react to a person coming up behind you that you couldn't do by just turning your head? Do you really see no fault in what you're doing that required your uninterrupted hearing to see why someone sounded their horn at you?
It's just common sense mate.....