Dumb, drunk and racist?

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Interested to hear people's thoughts on ABC's 'Dumb Drunk and Racist'. For those who don't know the premise, it's basically:

The six-part series examines our worst stereotypes to ask whether we really are beer-swilling, racist bogans or just simply misunderstood. What will these four visitors from Indian think of Australia? More importantly, after seeing Australia through their eyes, what will we think of ourselves?
I have seen the second episode (third episode screening this week) and whilst it was mildly entertaining, I don't think the four Indians are seeing 'Australia' through their eyes so much as small segment of the Australia that is not really representative of the whole. Not saying that a racist element doesn't exist, but bring out a camera, which attracts bogans like moths to a flame, and use a bit of careful editing and things can be easily misconstrued. But maybe I have my head in the sand...

So, how serious do you think racism is in Australia?
Is it comparable to other countries, or far worse here?
Have you had any racist experiences here or abroad?
Are Indians (and/or other races) justified in labelling Australians as racist or is it a media beat up?

stoo

Likes Dirt
I've seen the first two episodes, I found it quite entertaining and look forward to the next. Not sure how many in the series, three?
Anyhoo, so far they have done an ace job of demonstrating what redneck fuckwits exist in Australia, hopefully they show them some decent Aussies to balance things out a bit.
We're not perfect but we are what we are and we're lucky to call this ole' place home.

John U

MTB Precision
I've seen it all so far.

There are racist fuckheads in all races on every country on the planet. From my experience they are usually in the minority.

It'll be pretty interesting to see what the Indian's experience is in the end. From what I've seen and heard the Indian news can be pretty over the top which influences India's perception of Australia.

Hopefully They get to spend some time with average Australians who are generally pretty good.

mason33

Likes Dirt
Yeah doesn't seem representative of the majority of Aus... Seems to be scare mongering the visitors, by showing them all the worst examples of Australia.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Loaded circumstances and leading questions are hardly a way to find truth. I thought the show was a beat-up, but perhaps Aussies can handle someone taking the piss? I somehow doubt there will be a version on North Korean TV.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are Indians (and/or other races) justified in labelling Australians as racist or

I think there are a lot of racists in Australia

I think it comparable to other Western countries i have travelled to (a lot....)

My wife is Austrian and i have been surprised how many racist experiences she has (been here 8 years, Australian resident for 7) from white Australians, from minor stuff like people not trying to understand her fluent english because she has an accent to being told to go back where she came from....

Too many experiences O/S to count....

Indians and anyone else is certainly justified to call us racists.....

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I saw it and some parts made me physically ill.

I'd like to hope it is only a small minority bogan part of the australian population.

John U

MTB Precision
I saw it and some parts made me physically ill.

I'd like to hope it is only a small minority bogan part of the australian population.
You're mistaken if you think bogans are the only racists in Australia. I can remember the Chaser doing a street poll in Mosman (well to do Sydney suburb) asking for opinion on a fake mosque that was going be built in the main shopping centre. The reaction of some of the people was simultaneously disturbing and hilarious.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
My wife is Austrian and i have been surprised how many racist experiences she has (been here 8 years, Australian resident for 7) from white Australians, from minor stuff like people not trying to understand her fluent english because she has an accent to being told to go back where she came from....
Is that all....? I mean no offence Steve, my wife is Japanese......you'd think WW2 was still going on the some folk talk around here(my place).
I have witnessed what my wife has endured, as tough as I may be....it breaks me in two. Eggs thrown at her, taunts by dickheads driving by.....even right in her face whilst shopping!
This even happens when walking down the street as a family with my kids. After 13 years, I'm just asking for a break, for her sake! I cant remember how many times I have ignored or
been forced to act. I am sick of it.

I served with some JSD guys some time ago, what an amazing bunch of guys...pity the those against them cant get off the couch.

Racism has no place here, but uneducated people need something! A frekkin sledge hammer to the head if you ask me.

*end rant ;)

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
from what i have heard from other people is that india is a disgusting dirty hovel of a place, riddled with theives and beggars. but I cant comment as i have never been there..is that not the same issue but roles reversed?
every culture has a racist element....."Look, im not a racist, BUT!"

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that all....? I mean no offence Steve, my wife is Japanese......you'd think WW2 was still going on the some folk talk around here(my place).
I have witnessed what my wife has endured, as tough as I may be....it breaks me in two. Eggs thrown at her, taunts by dickheads driving by.....even right in her face whilst shopping!
This even happens when walking down the street as a family with my kids. After 13 years, I'm just asking for a break, for her sake! I cant remember how many times I have ignored or
been forced to act. I am sick of it.

I served with some JSD guys some time ago, what an amazing bunch of guys...pity the those against them cant get off the couch.

Racism has no place here, but uneducated people need something! A frekkin sledge hammer to the head if you ask me.

*end rant ;)
My point really was that if an atractive white female gets her share of racism then i can just imagine how bad it must be for those who "look different" from the majority.
and yes most of what she deals with is "minor" compared to- but the point is, this kind of ingonrance should not exist at all.

Last edited:

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
I find it hilarious that they are trying to appease 4 Indian people, as though we have a problem, when they come from one of the most bigoted, racist and classist culture's going.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Ever tried to get a job in a petrol station if you're not Indian?

(I've been drinking, I think that is "dumb", but who is racist).

jrewing

Eats Squid
Are Indians (and/or other races) justified in labelling Australians as racist or

I think there are a lot of racists in Australia

I think it comparable to other Western countries i have travelled to (a lot....)

Too many experiences O/S to count....

Indians and anyone else is certainly justified to call us racists.....
If your wife is Caucasian she not being discriminated racially but rather on a nationalistic level. Unless the abo's were doing it to her!!!

my02

Likes Dirt
I am originally from the UK but now an AUS citizen. I work in a company with 300+ people (from a variety of nationalities and religious beliefs), work with a huge variety of clients varying from household multinational blue chips through to 2 man dining room based businesses. My friends are truly multinational with the better part of 30+ nationalities represented from all corners of the planet. My fiancee is also from the UK and is of a particular religious faith (not that she strictly follows it however). I have travelled through over 30 countries (most of Europe, much of South America, parts of SE Asia, Sth Africa and the USA). I like to think of myself as a pretty worldly person with a good experience of a variety of difference cultures and races.

I've lived in Australia for 15 years and in this time have come across a disturbing amount of frequent racist activity. More than any other country I've spent time in. Much of it is not direct (as in the egging of the Japanese wife mentioned earlier) however I would say that I come across comments at the very least on a weekly basis, and often, a daily basis with the standard being something about <insert race> driving ability. And of course, there will be a standard POMMIE comment.

However to say that Australia is a racist country is a big call.

I would prefer to say that there is a simple lack of comprehension. Others may call it ignorance. In other words, I think they just don't understand that their comments or behaviour is so damaging or invasive.

However I also think there is a prevalence of insularity. One prevailing thing however that I have noticed is that those Australians (caucasian) born and bred who have travelled extensively overseas (not just NZ or the standard trip to Bali / Fiji / Thailand etc) are almost unanimously FAR more aware, tolerant, understanding and open minded. Racist comments or activities simply don't occur when dealing with people who are well travelled.

I don't wish to start an on-line battle. I'm just giving my experiences. I think that this country will most likely go through an "awakening" over the next 10-20 years where many of the younger generation will understand the importance of a cross-cultural communication in the international business world and the impact that countries like China and India will have on the rest of the globe. The dinosaurs who choose to ignore this will simply be left behind in a sad and bitter existence whereas those who accept and even embrace it will get to enjoy and experience a life that is far beyond where many of the insular people are currently.

Smokez87

Likes Dirt
I have to agree with you on that one that those who have travelled most of the time are more informed about travel and different cultures.
Volunteering as an orientation host and living on campus at my university, I do meet many people of different cultures and places. There are a few local students who have never travelled who experience difficulty in communicating with students of different backgrounds and cultures.

I have even noticed sometimes they tend to give insensitive comments about various differences in culture,religion or believes. I have even heard the comment "I don't care what goes on in the rest of the world, or what people's culture are".

However, some international students tend to be soft about these things and don't confront the people who say things like this to them. I guess that's the reason why some of them feel like they are being taken advantage of. Some of the past graduates from previous batch's have been bullied at the train station, a flasher hides by the bushes and flash's only Asian girls (got caught eventually), bunch of south east asian students got stopped at the train station after they alighted the station to take a taxi and were asked for cigarettes and money. When they didn't comply the kids took out a two inch knife. Which was kind of funny to those guys as they have been exposed to worst crimes in their home countries.

The little things like passing insensitive comments are usually misinformed people or people who have never been exposed to the world outside Australia. These people do not know that in order for an economy to successfully work, countries pretty much have to depend on each other. Especially with globalization and such.

Anyways the whole point of this was to say that they are racists everywhere, and being a minority I tend to think minorities are more racist than the majority.

The media framed this situation such that it made the whole of Australia seem like a racist country, and by pulling out Australia's history books I guess it would make things much worst in the media. Which the Indian media successfully did.

I have no idea though how this problem could be solved though, I was born and brought up in Singapore which is a multicultural society. Honestly even in Singapore we have racists who hate each other.

moorey

call me Mia
Here's some facts I've just made up:
-100% of Aussies are racist
-80% verbally deny that they are
-75% say 'I'm not racist.....but'
-70% know in their hearts they are
-65% don't let their secret racist leanings effect their daily actions
-40% let their racist leanings dictate some of their actions
-30% wish they has the balls to display a 'fuck off, we're full' stucker
-25% happily repeat racist shite they watched on today tonight.
-15% are proud racists who go out of their way to verbalise it
-5% take physical action to vent their pathetic fear and anger.

The good news for us southerners is that 96% of the genuinely racist arsehats live in Queensland. And because you're a state, not a race (some might disagree), I can judge and belittle you with a clear conscience :bounce:

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're mistaken if you think bogans are the only racists in Australia. I can remember the Chaser doing a street poll in Mosman (well to do Sydney suburb) asking for opinion on a fake mosque that was going be built in the main shopping centre. The reaction of some of the people was simultaneously disturbing and hilarious.

YES exactly, I know so called bogans from western sydney that are not as scared and stupid as these sheltered idiots.. Come live out in the wild west and act as retarded as that and see how long they live lol

Most of the people i know and grew up with are auzzie, Hardly any are white, speak other languages and some are even muslim but were born in Australia, we are all racist and pay out on each other but only dopey fuckwits hate.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your wife is Caucasian she not being discriminated racially but rather on a nationalistic level. Unless the abo's were doing it to her!!!
It would seem you have no understanding or "race" . I edited my above post naming her as caucasian, she is actually aryan, not surprisingly her family still has the documents to prove this from a time when if you were of a different race you did not live long.....

Australia's indegenous population would consider "abo" as a racist remark......