Dumb, drunk and racist?

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By the way, the use of this term as a pejorative makes you guilty of discrimination against poor whites. Same as the use of "bogan" or "chav".

There is an emerging fied of sociological study into why discrimination against poor whites is so common in the USA, the UK and Australia (and some other countries).

See

Owen Jones' "Chavs - the Demonisation of the Working Class"

Michael Gibbons' "White Trash: A Class-relevant Scapegoat for the Cultural Elite"

Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett "The Spirit Level"

Much more worying is that you assume that only poor whites are racist... where is your evidence of that?

Much more worying is that you assume that only poor whites are racist... where is your evidence of that?[/QUOTE] YES, The bogan has way more of an excuse but is still way less racist, not being scared to say what you think does not mean you are more racist :)

workmx

Banned
If i am walking along a street at night in Sydney, alone, and a group of 5 men is approaching me, the order of being most to least comfortable with the situation would be (I am Caucasian, 26yo):

1. Asian Appearance
2. Caucasian
3. Lebanese / Middle Eastern
4. Aboriginal / Pacific Islander

Since i have not given these an equal ranking, I am racist in this situation. This opinion has come from both person experience and media reports influencing my decision. I am not ashamed to be called a racist based on this scenario.
If you are saying that you really on a stereotype that says one of the above groups is more dangerous than others (using a sterotype), then that is the very defintion of racism.

Neither person experience and media reports are evidence.

I wonder how those people feel about. If I were ATSI, I reckon I would be scared of caucasians (given how many ATSI people have been murdered by them).

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are saying that you really on a stereotype that says one of the above groups is more dangerous than others (using a sterotype), then that is the very defintion of racism.

Neither person experience and media reports are evidence.

I wonder how those people feel about. If I were ATSI, I reckon I would be scared of caucasians (given how many ATSI people have been murdered by them).
Instead of admiting that they are just scared and need to work on the skill of understanding :)

workmx

Banned
Instead of admiting that they are just scared and need to work on the skill of understanding :)
Plus one. Well said.

This is not directly related but might help - http://www.ted.com/talks/sam_richards_a_radical_experiment_in_empathy.html

One of the best ways to develop empathy that I have seen from a fellow sociologist.

If i am walking along a street at night in Sydney...
Try this implicit racism test: it is from the USA, but might be informative anyway:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Last edited:

Joy

Likes Dirt
I find it hilarious that they are trying to appease 4 Indian people, as though we have a problem, when they come from one of the most bigoted, racist and classist culture's going.
I'm glad someone brought this up. I'd love to see a documentary in India on what the people from the north thought of the people from the south. Or even more eye opening would be what Indians thought of Pakistanis and Sri Lankans.

Saying that Australians are racist, is racist in itself, right?

workmx

Banned
I'm glad someone brought this up. I'd love to see a documentary in India on what the people from the north thought of the people from the south. Or even more eye opening would be what Indians thought of Pakistanis and Sri Lankans.
Two wrongs do not make a right... or as someone once said: "An eye for an eye makes the world blind."

Saying that Australians are racist, is racist in itself, right?
NO, Australian is not a race...

Anyway, the person saying we are dumb, drunk and racist is Australian.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Two wrongs do not make a right... or as someone once said: "An eye for an eye makes the world blind."

NO, Australian is not a race...

Anyway, the person saying we are dumb, drunk and racist is Australian.
Prejudice, generalisation etc etc. Doesn't matter what you call it, it all sucks.

I didn't bring that up for people to think "hey they do it, so that means I can too!". Pot calling the kettle black and all that

workmx

Banned
Prejudice, generalisation etc etc. Doesn't matter what you call it, it all sucks.

I didn't bring that up for people to think "hey they do it, so that means I can too!". Pot calling the kettle black and all that
Oh! I get that. It is why I quoted Mohandas K Gandhi (without attribution). Because he committed the later part of his life (through many protests and hunger strikes) to reducing violence and discrimination in India. And he largely failed (which is a pity) and was indirectly responsible for the split between India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Also, he was a Hindu who died at the hands of another Hindu... who was executed... So much for "an eye for an eye makes us all blind"...

Last edited:

workmx

Banned
Is it true Ghandi liked kids? I hope it is bullshit.
I doubt that he did.

He did have some strange ideas: like sleeping next to naked girls and women (to test his resolve to remain celebate), until he was convinced that it was a bad idea and stopped the practice in 1947.

I have never heard of any evidence that he broke that vow (to be celebate).

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If i am walking along a street at night in Sydney, alone, and a group of 5 men is approaching me, the order of being most to least comfortable with the situation would be (I am Caucasian, 26yo):
There's plenty of other factors I'd be looking at ahead of race in that situation. Unit t-shirts/hoodies being a good starting point...

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That just had me thinking. Five "darker skinned" people wearing suits would be less concerning than five Caucasians wearing hoodies and talking loudly.

I do stereotype people until they have proven they are not the stereotype. Should i be ashamed of this attitude?

workmx

Banned
Should i be ashamed of this attitude?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes. What if the guys in hoodies and talking loudly are investment bankers on the way home from the gym?

What if the guys in suits are mormons? No -one can deny that 5 of them asking if you want to be saved by JE-zuz after dark is not scary as shit.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
You are editing quotes

Editing quotes down to one word is taking it out of context. I would prefer it if you didn't edit people's responses like you are at the moment. The majority of this community are a fairly nice bunch. I don't think it's fair to portray someone as something they are not, because you have taken one sentence or one word from the point they were making.

workmx

Banned
Fair enough. Replied to you twice, that would mean quoting 648 words.... while replying with far less than that.

The single word quote was to highlight that word and make an point about it alone.

EDIT: in other words, I had no intention to misrepreset you or your position.

The shortening of quotes was to make them compact not misrepresent the poster.

If that happened, I apologise.

The "rednecks" quote was to highlight that word and make a point about the word itself. Not related to you or your point (or even your use of the word).

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
Thanks for clearing that up. I would really like this thread to be topical and informative. Most of all, informative and open. Unlike the ugly hole that racism has carved in many societies. We can prove here, on this site via this thread, that mountain bikers are good people.