COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My missus got a call from her workmate she had spent 2 hours with in the same room this morning at their gym, she's tested positive this afternoon.
Nice of her to go to work this morning while feeling ill enough to feel she needs a test, but that's another topic.
Now to see how accurate our awesome governments under 4 hours you are not a close contact goes!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My missus got a call from her workmate she had spent 2 hours with in the same room this morning at their gym, she's tested positive this afternoon.
Nice of her to go to work this morning while feeling ill enough to feel she needs a test, but that's another topic.
Now to see how accurate our awesome governments under 4 hours you are not a close contact goes!

Straight up...fuck people. So many people seem to be ignoring their responsibility and just going about life sharing their illness.

Hopefully once this wave peaks, we’ll be better at handling it and I’m also hopeful the experience of being inconvenienced by a dose will force of our more stubborn public to start exercising a bit more caution.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaahahahahhaaaa!

About as likely as getting them to exercise more I think. Or even wash their hands more.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Straight up...fuck people. So many people seem to be ignoring their responsibility and just going about life sharing their illness.

About as likely as getting them to exercise more I think. Or even wash their hands more.

Tue, 11 January 2022 9:50AM
Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate slams ‘Covid parties’ despite calls to let the virus rip through Queensland
A colourful Queensland mayor has slammed people holding ‘Covid parties’ in his city, despite calling for the state government to let the virus rip.

Controversial Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate has lashed out at the “brainless” residents of his city holding Covid parties.
But he maintains concerns over Omicron may be overkill and called for the Queensland government to let the virus rip through the state.

Mr Tate said he was disappointed to hear widespread reports of unvaccinated Glitter Strip citizens gathering to deliberately spread the virus among themselves, a trend that aims to mimic the pox-party strategy for children.

“This Covid party is really a no-go zone,” he told Today on Tuesday.

“They’re all unvaccinated people and … if you’re going to get Covid that‘s the place to go and get it because someone is going to have it and it spreads so easily. It’s a brainless idea and I wish they wouldn’t do it.”

But while savage of this misguided push to achieve ‘natural immunity’, Mr Tate remains adamant the state government should ease restrictions to let the virus more quickly accelerate towards a peak caseload.

He told Today he was not concerned the Gold Coast was responsible for 11 of the state’s 22 ICU patients and also questioned whether fears over the Omicron strain were “overkill”.

The colourful councillor had penned a newspaper column on Monday calling for state government to remove restrictions for vaccinated residents while also letting the virus ‘run its course’ now the borders have reopened.

When asked about the surging virus numbers on the Gold Coast – and the higher proportion of serious cases – Mr Tate said he was not concerned.

He pointed out that six of the 11 ICU patients were unvaccinated and the remaining five had other complications.

“There‘s other complications, as I said the unvaccinated are going to cop it anyway,” he said.

“So it’s not purely because of Omicron and I’ve asked the question: How dangerous is Omicron in comparison to a normal flu? I still haven’t got the answer back to that because I said in my letter in 2019 we had five deaths a week for influenza, and Omicron we don‘t have any of that, so are we doing an overkill here?”

“I mean it is contagious but if it’s not as virulent, well, let it rip and let’s get to the other side.”

Mr Tate has frequently clashed with state government over its handling of the virus and late last year released his own modelling that he said showed borders should be thrown open earlier than planned.

The Gold Coast came in for a special mention at Monday’s official Covid press conference, with authorities raising concerns about low vaccination rates, poor mask-wearing adherence, and the correlation with increased ICU cases.

Of the 419 people in hospital being treated for the virus, 101 are from the Gold Coast.

Queensland reported 9581 new Covid infections on Monday, a lower daily figure that did not include data from four private testing clinics.

Originally published as Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate slams ‘Covid parties’ despite calls to let the virus rip through Queensland

danncam

Likes Dirt
We had our 6 y old booked for yesterday at the local doctors but it was canceled because the fucking drugs didn’t turn up! Fucking useless government. The missus is a whole lot smarter than me and had the foresight to also book in an appointment through the state run scheme just in case. So we have an appointment for tomorrow. Lucky we did as other kids that were turned away from the local doc have to get back in the queue and could be up to a month.
Seriously they could have had the foresight to get this happening a bit quicker, a bit smoother so a shitload of kids didn’t have to go back to school either mildly protected from only just having one dose or no dose at all. Fuck Scotty and horse he rode in on.
As my work is in the middle between the DoH and GPs and Pharmacies I can tell you everyone is working hard and doing their best. It's a logistical nightmare as all vaxes need to adhere to strict cold.chain protocols and as is obvious, the delivery services are as impacted by covid isolating as the rest of us.
Not easy on the parents and terrible for practices and Pharmacies fielding hundreds of calls from parents in one morning. This makes it hard for them to get anything done.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

While it’s never going to work for everyone I’ve seen it happen with plenty of folk in the UK who were a bit more blasé about it pre-omicron and I hardly consider the good denizens of Glasgow to be paragons of good health practices normally

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
While it’s never going to work for everyone I’ve seen it happen with plenty of folk in the UK who were a bit more blasé about it pre-omicron and I hardly consider the good denizens of Glasgow to be paragons of good health practices normally
I think if people get a serious enough bout of it or somone they directly know has a serious bout and tell their frirends/family about it and to pull their heads in, that's much more likley to change behaviours than some old fuddy duddy at the WHO telling people its not mild. FINGERS CROSSED (though they've been crossed since christmass and theyve fused together)

Jpez

Down on the left!
As my work is in the middle between the DoH and GPs and Pharmacies I can tell you everyone is working hard and doing their best. It's a logistical nightmare as all vaxes need to adhere to strict cold.chain protocols and as is obvious, the delivery services are as impacted by covid isolating as the rest of us.
Not easy on the parents and terrible for practices and Pharmacies fielding hundreds of calls from parents in one morning. This makes it hard for them to get anything done.
For sure! Definitely wasn’t having a go at the people on the front line or delivery infrastructure. I think it’s just on that this could have been handled, like everything else in this awesome epoch of our lives much much better by up on high.

smaj

Likes Dirt
He (Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate) says

“This Covid party is really a no-go zone,” he told Today on Tuesday.
But then

“I mean it is contagious but if it’s not as virulent, well, let it rip and let’s get to the other side.”
Seems to be contradicting himself. Perhaps I shouldn't be bringing logic to the argument :)

released his own modelling that he said showed borders should be thrown open earlier than planned.
Haha, some dodgy Excel spreadsheet no doubt :D A while back I was interested to know exactly how they modeled it and it was very interesting (and very complicated). I guess this is old news to anyone working in the field, but I found it fascinating e.g. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-92000-w

Minlak

custom titis
Day 2 post Covid booster Pfizer - Ache all over in joints etc - arm is super dead today - possible nasal congestion (Hard to tell as I have a pre existing condition that flares up) _ Feel foggy and didn't sleep well at all last night - Hard to tell if that's from booster or Operation though.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
FFS... my second Pfizer had me at the Doc twice with cold symptoms that lasted 3 months, same shit as the Flu vax, it lowers my immune system and I end up with a lurgy.
Not looking forward to the booster :(
Interesting. My epic 3 week man-flu coincided with the Moderna booster. I’m still a little bit hesitant to blame it on the booster as I had a diseased toddler running around the house the previous couple of days and the first symptoms manifested within a couple of hours of the jab - also I think my mum also picked up the same bug as well but nowhere near as bad- but, yeah you might be onto something with the reduced immune system.

I originally put it down to just spending the previous two years being largely lurgy free and my body not quite ready. Also, I’ve been living like Oliver Reed this last month but it’s interesting to see someone else with the same issue*

*can confirm definitely not COVID on account of about 10 RATs and 3 PCR tests.

Flow-Rider

Burner
He (Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate) says
But then
Seems to be contradicting himself. Perhaps I shouldn't be bringing logic to the argument :)
Haha, some dodgy Excel spreadsheet no doubt :D A while back I was interested to know exactly how they modeled it and it was very interesting (and very complicated). I guess this is old news to anyone working in the field, but I found it fascinating e.g. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-92000-w
It's obvious that they rely on tourism, Tom Tate is just a money monger and the Gold Coast is full of anti-vaxxer flogs. I've heard the hospitals are having a bad time, and they hold half of the infection rate for the whole of Qld.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
It's obvious that they rely on tourism, Tom Tate is just a money monger and the Gold Coast is full of anti-vaxxer flogs. I've heard the hospitals are having a bad time, and they hold half of the infection rate for the whole of Qld.
FIFY

Here's a quote from Tate from the GC Bullshittin on Monday:
“Opening the border was always going to see Omicron sweep across the state,” Tate said. “The state claims it is all about slowing the spread. Why not let it spread rapidly so we reach the peak sooner, and our economy gets off life support faster?”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-halt-to-pox-parties-aimed-at-spreading-virus

Flow-Rider

Burner
FIFY

Here's a quote from Tate from the GC Bullshittin on Monday:
“Opening the border was always going to see Omicron sweep across the state,” Tate said. “The state claims it is all about slowing the spread. Why not let it spread rapidly so we reach the peak sooner, and our economy gets off life support faster?”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-halt-to-pox-parties-aimed-at-spreading-virus
They should just nuke the place, or stupid people that are deliberately unvaxxed should have to do community service for the next 10 years.

Gold Coast COVID-19 outbreak made worse by the volume of unvaccinated people, experts say

Out of the 21 patients in ICU in Queensland, 11 are on the Gold Coast — and 101 of the 419 patients in hospital are being treated on the Gold Coast.

Medical practitioners have been left exhausted and frustrated by the "sheer volume" of Gold Coast COVID-19 cases they say could have been lessened by a greater uptake of the vaccine.

Dr Gerrard pointed to the region's low vaccination rate and popularity as an interstate tourist destination as factors contributing to the large number of severe cases.

Strain on Gold Coast hospitals
Griffith University infectious diseases expert Nigel McMillan said the state government was well aware the Gold Coast would be a problem due to the influence of the "anti-vax" movement and it being so close to the border with New South Wales.

COVID-19 hospitalisations in Queensland by region
RegionHospitalisationsICU
Cairns and Hinterland23
Central Queensland2
Children's Health Queensland121
Darling Downs18
Gold Coast11110
Mackay5
Mater252
Metro North771
Metro South782
Sunshine Coast313
Townsville5
West Moreton40
Wide Bay132

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Interesting. My epic 3 week man-flu coincided with the Moderna booster. I’m still a little bit hesitant to blame it on the booster as I had a diseased toddler running around the house the previous couple of days and the first symptoms manifested within a couple of hours of the jab - also I think my mum also picked up the same bug as well but nowhere near as bad- but, yeah you might be onto something with the reduced immune system.

I originally put it down to just spending the previous two years being largely lurgy free and my body not quite ready. Also, I’ve been living like Oliver Reed this last month but it’s interesting to see someone else with the same issue*

*can confirm definitely not COVID on account of about 10 RATs and 3 PCR tests.
I looked last night on HotDoc and could get in for my booster at a local clinic on Monday 17th (5 days)... got a few things on in the next few weeks so didnt bother booking.

I'm only about 4-5 months from my second vax anyway.