COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
It's missing that real say lots but nothing at the same time flavour that Scotty and Hunt are so good at.
Can’t say I’m JA’s biggest fan, but when it comes to straight talk and levelling with her people she does a bloody good job. Scotty from marketing on the other hand, is all over the place like a mad woman’s shit.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a walk with the misses and kids around a local parklands, huge area. Lots of people out and about. Local footy club was a having a piss on with 100+ blokes all over each other hi fiving, hugging and carrying on. Nearby there was groups of younger adult probably 20-25 all hugging and kissing each other hello/bye..
A huge chunk of the general population just has no fucking idea and just do not care. I am sure the CMO and team have factored this in but for our own good we are going to have lock down the place to keep the idiots away from each other..

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
So far 17 doctors have died from coronavirus in Italy. No doubt there will be fatalities among nurses and other hospital staff as well. Everyone that thinks it only kills the old and we shouldn't give a shit should have a long hard think about those peoples' families.

In other news, the local pub looked pretty full as I drove by this arvo. Way to go morons.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
A huge chunk of the general population just has no fucking idea and just do not care. I am sure the CMO and team have factored this in but for our own good we are going to have lock down the place to keep the idiots away from each other..
This is straight up the lesson we must (but are completely failing to) learn from Italy. When the Italian government started expanding the lockdowns beyond just the specific towns in Lombardia and Veneto, everyone just ignored it like "it won't happen to me". I was in Bologna at the time with my partner and her family - her mum works in the hospital administration there - and friends of hers were inviting us out for aperitivo like there was nothing going on. One of her friends, living in Milan, was almost driven to the point of moving out of his flat because his housemate insisted on having friends around every night because she"had to feel free".

Until the the Muppets stop with the half measures and the ambiguity, Australians will continue to act as though nothing is happening. Example - is the courtyard at the pub outdoor (500pax) or indoor (1pax/4m^2)? Either way, it's a bad place to be.

Shut the whole thing down.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Absolutely agree @beeb - as a relatively flat nation rail is a very viable mode of transport. Certainly it would provide similar travel times between Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, assuming you wouldn't need to faff around at a railway station as you do getting in an out of an airport. If you spent an hour at each end of an 1.5 hour flight from Sydney to Melbourne (travel city to airport, wait at airport, disembark, collect luggage travel to city), that is about 3.5 hours of total travel time for a distance of ~715km, or an average speed of just over 200km/hr. Imagine if you could simply swipe your Opal card and step on a train at Central and step off at Southern Cross; a HSR service that averages 200km/hr doesn't seem so impossible with current tech when European and Japanese trains typically operate at 300km/hr.

We're still addicted to air travel for longer distances, but hydrogen looks promising as a viable zero-emissions alternative to kerosene. Guilt free air travel is a possibility - just not in the near term.

I actually commented on a friend's FB page a week ago that this virus is what the world needs right now - a big wake up call to globalism, capitalism, money before the planet etc. To think that one little microscopic thing can tear the whole lot down is pretty incredible, and highlights the frailty of our current civilisation. If COVID-19 is here to teach us how to live and work more sustainably, in a fairer and more equitable world, then bring it on!
Hydrogen is used to make syngas and then carbon neutral synthetic kerosene. Hydrocarbons in jet engines is still the best power to weight option for large aircraft.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Some dumb people will die. They will take others who were not dumb with them. Anecdote, one neighbour overheard another neighbour talk in about returning from overseas and self isolating. That person had to visit my neighbour I'm sure, some kind if essential service.

safreek

I never thought I could think less of the government, labor or liberal.
I was surprised to find they could get even lower, good work guys.

Surely even a liberal supporter must be pissed at their government and their (lack) of action.

Nambra

stop with the half measures
That's pretty much the crux of it right there - how can you conceivably reduce your risk in a public setting because you have 4m2 to yourself. You're touching everything within that 4m2 just like the last person has. Heading out for dinner or a few beers at the pub is the last thing on my mind at present.

Hydrogen is used to make syngas and then carbon neutral synthetic kerosene. Hydrocarbons in jet engines is still the best power to weight option for large aircraft.
Yes they are - kerosene is a lot safer to handle too. The CO2 problem still persists though - we'd still need to deal with that.

Nambra

I never thought I could think less of the government, labor or liberal.
I was surprised to find they could get even lower, good work guys.

Surely even a liberal supporter must be pissed at their government and their (lack) of action.
So, has accusing politicians of "losing touch with the people" now become a compliment? If so, then they're all fucking heroes.