COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So, I have just unwittingly become the case study for Covid amongst Rotorburn.

Partner has received a text today to say she is positive from a test on Thursday. We have 3 kids under 5 (4.5 and 14 month olds twins)
She has been devastated all day.

Was feeling unwell on Wednesday afternoon (Cold symptoms) and decided to get tested Thursday morning. Hasn’t seemed much more serious than any other sniffle we get with kids or her hay fever or asthma flare ups due to changing season/weather. She’s been quite vigilant with getting tested and this is probably her 7th or 8th test over the 18 month Covid journey.

I don’t know if I have it yet and wouldn’t say I am feeling any more ordinary than usual with lack of sleep and kids.

Have to say, we are fairly cautious with our interactions, always wearing masks and don’t currently mingle for work. Both check in everywhere we go (supermarket, petrol and food). I am interested to see how much information we get about where it comes from or dates. It’s a genuine mystery to us.

14 days of isolation is going to be one hell of a challenge with the kids!

2021 has been a bitch of a year.

Edit: We are both double vaxxed, thank fuck!
Best of luck. If you need some meals delivered pm me.

I've got 4 and 6 yr old boys and your situation is our nightmare.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
So, I have just unwittingly become the case study for Covid amongst Rotorburn.

Partner has received a text today to say she is positive from a test on Thursday. We have 3 kids under 5 (4.5 and 14 month olds twins)
She has been devastated all day.

Was feeling unwell on Wednesday afternoon (Cold symptoms) and decided to get tested Thursday morning. Hasn’t seemed much more serious than any other sniffle we get with kids or her hay fever or asthma flare ups due to changing season/weather. She’s been quite vigilant with getting tested and this is probably her 7th or 8th test over the 18 month Covid journey.

I don’t know if I have it yet and wouldn’t say I am feeling any more ordinary than usual with lack of sleep and kids.

Have to say, we are fairly cautious with our interactions, always wearing masks and don’t currently mingle for work. Both check in everywhere we go (supermarket, petrol and food). I am interested to see how much information we get about where it comes from or dates. It’s a genuine mystery to us.

14 days of isolation is going to be one hell of a challenge with the kids!

2021 has been a bitch of a year.

Edit: We are both double vaxxed, thank fuck!
Hope it all goes well @caad9. asA has been mentioned we'll all end up getting it at some stage no doubt.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thanks not necessarily true.

I hate to bet on outcomes with such terrible consequences, but:

No international quarantine requirements

~3% vaccinated in the developing world

It’s inevitable a mutation gets around the first generation of vaccines. Fingers crossed Pfizer et al are working hard to protect their massive profits. Having to hide back under a rock for 6 months waiting for supply to arrive would suck.

moorey

call me Mia
Kids finally back at school last week. Positive case at the school. Many primary contacts. Back to remote learning all this week. Sigh.
Both Quinn’s besties that she spends all day with are primary contacts at the school….but she isn’t. They catch a bus together that Quinn doesn’t… but still surprises me.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I hate to bet on outcomes with such terrible consequences, but:

No international quarantine requirements

~3% vaccinated in the developing world

It’s inevitable a mutation gets around the first generation of vaccines. Fingers crossed Pfizer et al are working hard to protect their massive profits. Having to hide back under a rock for 6 months waiting for supply to arrive would suck.
I mentioned this somewhere earlier in the thread, I did some napkin maths a couple weeks ago and roughly 10% of UKs population has been infected since the outbreak began. So s it stands, at the moment, it's absolutely possible to go through this without catching it. Though all precautions taken and you could still be unlucky.

IMO "we're all going to get it" is a pretty dangerous view to promote. It signals to others that a level of complacency or fatigue in trying to avoid it is ok.

Most of the developing world hasn't been waiting ro jump on a plane, let alone to Australia. Most of them are busy trying to survive.

Mutations work both ways - it could be worse or it could be milder. We could end up with a dominant strain that does not do much (that's the dream).

This isn't over by a longshot. And we can expect the near future to be pretty grim. Which is exactly why we should continue to be vigilant.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Halloween drinks across the road last night, half way through a neighbor gets a text message, while she has been cuddling another neighbor's baby, and finds a work colleague at the child care she works at is positive.
Can't say the baby's mum was rapt. But it will keep happening.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Halloween drinks across the road last night, half way through a neighbor gets a text message, while she has been cuddling another neighbor's baby, and finds a work colleague at the child care she works at is positive.
Can't say the baby's mum was rapt. But it will keep happening.
to be fair the mum of the baby took that risk. This is what i mean by being vigilant. If your risk appetite is low, dont expose yourself to unnecesary risk. We've chosen to give it a month before doing anything social in groups to see where we land.

Im happy i can go to Kmart again, but i will be doing it outside of peak hours.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I mentioned this somewhere earlier in the thread, I did some napkin maths a couple weeks ago and roughly 10% of UKs population has been infected since the outbreak began. So s it stands, at the moment, it's absolutely possible to go through this without catching it. Though all precautions taken and you could still be unlucky.

IMO "we're all going to get it" is a pretty dangerous view to promote. It signals to others that a level of complacency or fatigue in trying to avoid it is ok.

Most of the developing world hasn't been waiting ro jump on a plane, let alone to Australia. Most of them are busy trying to survive.

Mutations work both ways - it could be worse or it could be milder. We could end up with a dominant strain that does not do much (that's the dream).

This isn't over by a longshot. And we can expect the near future to be pretty grim. Which is exactly why we should continue to be vigilant.
In 43 years I’ve only caught the actual flu* maybe 2 or 3 times and that’s with no precautions taken other than the occasional flu jab because they were giving away free lollipops with them at work, so I’m inclined to agree that it’s not inevitable.

That said my whole immediate family caught it in the UK back in the pre-vaccine days so that screws my numbers up a bit.

Speaking of which, I’m off there in December. It’s going to be an interesting trip. The biggest fear I’ve got is catching it and having the positive PCR test results fuck up my flights, so I’ll be exercising a fair bit of extra caution for the next few months. Will have to avoid packed pubs, clubs and football matches unfortunately, which is half the fun of going home….

*that’s not to say I’m a picture of health. The common cold is all too frequent a visitor.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
In 43 years I’ve only caught the actual flu maybe 2 or 3 times and that’s with no precautions taken other than the occasional flu jab
This is the first 18-24 months I've not had a flu like virus in my life. But i am a public transport user when we are working in the office - PT is 100% the vector for me, which is one of the reasons I am not looking fwd going back to the office while this thing is going around

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thats not necessarily true.
So when will it be eliminated ?

I haven't had the flu since I came to Australia 20yrs ago.

You are getting it at some stage, stats say 10 million in the UK have officially tested positive. My brother reckons probably more than half the UK have had it and put it down to a cold.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Maybe not 1/2, but anecdotally, mates in the UK seem to pretty much all had it or believe they had it at some stage.
My elderly parents and my aunt are about the only ones I know who haven't had it... and they are prisoners in their own homes.