COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The vaccines will help but we're seeing disturbing data coming out of places like America that a high amount of vaccination doesn't mean you can drop all restrictions without serious consequences for community health and the health care system.
From a senior vaccine scientist in the US;

Numbers looking really good that the vaccines work.. Really bloody well..

gippyz

Likes Dirt
There's also the argument that you can still catch it but not get sick once you've had the vaccine, so potentially spread it without ever knowing you had it.

There's also the risk the strain(s) could mutate and become resistant to the vaccines, which is much more likely if there remains a low percentage of people vaccinated. Govs are hoping 80% vaccinated will be enough to bring about (vaccine assisted) "herd immunity", and the vaccine will either die out or just become like a seasonal flu with a "booster" vaccine required.

TL;DR - Remains to be seen.
Vaccine will reduce the chances of death and hospitalisation (serious illness) to 93%-ish. It will also reduce the ability of you transmitting COVID to others by 40-60%. The first is already well established (I think). The latter is also somewhat true. There was an article in the guardian that described a case in Sydney where a paramedic was fully vaccinated and infected, but not transmitting the virus to his housemate at all.

TLDR; Get the bloody jab folks, regardless of your age. It works one way or another. Ignore the anti-vaxxers, they are bunch of nonsensical idiots.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a basic level it will also help with transmission too no? If you are less likely to become actively sick when vacced then there’s less likelyhood of someone coughing and sneezing all over the place and spreading it. So in that sense it will help to slow the spread. If I understand it correctly.
Yep.. I posted a twitter link to a vax scientist a little way back who debunks a lot of the media hype.. There is a lot of real world data about how effective the vaccines are at stopping transmission.. They dramatically reduce the viral load and probability of spreading covid.. So vax to vax person transmission is very low..

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Like everything, its complicated. The reduced severity of symptoms among the vaccinated has the effect that they are less likely to get tested or isolate. This results in a lowering of the official infection numbers and a greater risk of transmission (compared to if you felt sick and got tested and isolated).

moorey

call me Mia
Yep.. I posted a twitter link to a vax scientist a little way back who debunks a lot of the media hype.. There is a lot of real world data about how effective the vaccines are at stopping transmission.. They dramatically reduce the viral load and probability of spreading covid.. So vax to vax person transmission is very low..
Facts are soooo cheugy.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's also the risk the strain(s) could mutate and become resistant to the vaccines, which is much more likely if there remains a low percentage of people vaccinated. Govs are hoping 80% vaccinated will be enough to bring about (vaccine assisted) "herd immunity", and the vaccine will either die out or just become like a seasonal flu with a "booster" vaccine required.

TL;DR - Remains to be seen.
The risk of a ultra mutate strain isn’t worth worrying about atm, none of the variants so far can fully evade any of the major vaccines.. It’s not like the current vaccines 99%+ real world efficacy (from death) is suddenly going to drop to 0%.. Booster shots are already in the pipeline which will keep efficacy high.. The vaccines create an immune response to attack the spike of the virus, so unless sars-cov2 is suddenly going not going to be a coronavirus the vaccines should keep working even at lower efficacy..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Vaccine will reduce the chances of death and hospitalisation (serious illness) to 93%-ish. It will also reduce the ability of you transmitting COVID to others by 40-60%. The first is already well established (I think). The latter is also somewhat true. There was an article in the guardian that described a case in Sydney where a paramedic was fully vaccinated and infected, but not transmitting the virus to his housemate at all.

TLDR; Get the bloody jab folks, regardless of your age. It works one way or another. Ignore the anti-vaxxers, they are bunch of nonsensical idiots.
Just FYI - I'm not anti-Vax (I've actually had my first jab). Some stuff reads as it's still transmissible, some stuff says not. If I'm wrong, great.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Like everything, its complicated.
Not really. No more complicated than any vaccine for any potentially fatal disease.

More horses mouth stuff (live Webinar at work with our lead COVID researcher happening right now) for the clot-phobic: You will ultimately catch the coronavirus over the next 12-24 months. Have a vaccine, it's the best way to avoid adverse effects of COVID.

I stand by my statement that there is absolutely no excuse for not getting a vaccine, for not signing up for either vaccine, our 22 year old son is going the GP route for AZ. I notice the people I called out on this (one of whom got all antsy about me making assumptions) have not responded that they have signed up for the vaccine, and have not provided a plausible reason. If you haven't taken action, you are a big part of the problem.

Lead researcher also said "doses were being discarded, it's absolutely appalling" and also said "if you're over 50 and waiting for Pfizer, you are taking a vaccine off a younger person"...

I really like this frank and firm information and feel privileged to be able to get it, I hope passing it on to my community here is useful to you.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like everything, its complicated. The reduced severity of symptoms among the vaccinated has the effect that they are less likely to get tested or isolate. This results in a lowering of the official infection numbers and a greater risk of transmission (compared to if you felt sick and got tested and isolated).
The case numbers are going up in the US, UK and other highly vaccinated countries.. Heaps of transmission going on.. Case numbers are now unlinked to hospitalistion cases, and that’s exactly what you want to see if the vaccines are working.. Granted it is summer in the northern hemisphere, but it’s looking really promising so far..

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Just FYI - I'm not anti-Vax (I've actually had my first jab). Some stuff reads as it's still transmissible, some stuff says not. If I'm wrong, great.
Never thought you are an anti-vax! Don't worry, I'm just sending a message to general people to not trust anti-vaxxers :)

It will still be transmissible. Vaccines train your immune system to detect and eliminate the virus (and any associated infected cells). Based on my understanding of the immune system, I can't see how it won't spread when your immune system is trying to rid the virus off the body. But, I'm a novice in all these and in all honesty, the experts are still trying to better understand the virus in many ways. So we will uncover more in the future for sure.

This is a good link to understand how immune system work to fight covid and why vaccines are important to teach it how to fight: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-b-cells-and-t-cells-explained-141888

PJO

in me vL comy
You will ultimately catch the coronavirus over the next 12-24 months. Have a vaccine, it's the best way to avoid adverse effects of COVID.
With the way the world is and human expectations we have no hope of containing it, that horse bolted as soon as the virus left China back in 2019. The difficulty will be protecting those that are unable to be vaccinated, those that choose not to vaccinate themselves are just:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
So got my first AZ last night after being booked in for a while with local GP.
Arm seems fine except for local tenderness around injection site, but I’m working in my office with the A/C temp at around 25c and I’m shivering like crazy. Might finish up and have a lie down under a doona.

6 weeks until the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So got my first AZ last night after being booked in for a while with local GP.
Arm seems fine except for local tenderness around injection site, but I’m working in my office with the A/C temp at around 25c and I’m shivering like crazy. Might finish up and have a lie down under a doona.

6 weeks until the next one.
My experience was similar.

Book in a sickie for tomorrow.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
My experience was similar.

Book in a sickie for tomorrow.
I like your thinking… but I’m the boss haha. I’ve been closing Saturdays anyway as the retail side of the business is closed to the public anyway. Lots of time riding with the kids on weekends now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk