COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

stirk

Burner
My work see me frequently in Sydney's Chinatown district. The number of people wearing masks is 1% if that.

I think that's inpart due to the fact the virus is seemingly controlled here at the moment and largely because Raben footware stores have stockpiled all the masks! Profiteering chunts

IMG_20200302_112912.jpg

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Doesn't watch or read the news but complains about what's in it... Hello
Yeah fair call...ish.
But do you watch/engage in anything regularly u don't enjoy, so you can complain about it? (that would be a bit weird?)

To Hifi's point and yours: I'm not saying it's not newsworthy. It is newsworthy 100%.
It's the Sunrise/Ch10/Ch7/ Daily Herald/usual suspects predictable beating up I can't stand. It's all laced with too much fear mongering for me and I think that has a negative effect on the collective response (?)
At my work it's difficult to avoid this stuff even when you try (long story).
At home it's not in my universe. I find the news very toxic these days so I try not to absorb much of it. I wish all the good news stories were given equal airtime. Anyway, drifting off topic - sorry.
You can all tell me I was naive when I get sick and the military takes over. I'll eat the pie.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My work see me frequently in Sydney's Chinatown district. The number of people wearing masks is 1% if that.

I think that's inpart due to the fact the virus is seemingly controlled here at the moment and largely because Raben footware stores have stockpiled all the masks! Profiteering chunts

View attachment 360664
Seriously, if they are gouging they should get punched in the hurts for that.

What are they charging?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube

What are they charging?
The black box has an $80 sticker on it. For 5 masks. I bought some 2 years ago and I'm sure they were only a couple of bucks per mask.

ETA: confirmed.
Mr Filter. Out of stock obviously.... they don't know when they'll get more. 10 masks $27.95

Last edited:

stirk

Burner

What are they charging?
Besides the $80 sticker there was $25 advertised on the window but didn't say what mask. I assume they are buying at retail and then marking up the price on-top of that. I'll keep an eye out for other shops doing the same.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Besides the $80 sticker there was $25 advertised on the window but didn't say what mask. I assume they are buying at retail and then marking up the price on-top of that. I'll keep an eye out for other shops doing the same.
Yep, that deserves a kick in the neck parts.

safreek

No one in masks in lismore so far, they normally jump on the "world's apocalypse " pretty quickly. If the local loonies are not worried, well, I feel safe.
Once a vaccine comes out, fear not, they shall refuse to have it because we all know vaccines are a way to control people.
Fuck you government, I ain't taking your mind control injection o_O
Nearly forgot to put in the spinny eyed thingy

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Our local supermarkets (middle suburbs of Perth) are all sold out of toilet paper and tissues. Massive over reaction at this point; the only cases in Perth are the couple that were brought back from the cruise ship in Japan.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No need to panic though people do the opposite. Its the fear of not knowing much about it .
Its no worse than the usual flu.
As someone said its the economic impact of avoiding it and potential social unrest , thats the thing .

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
well from what we know anyway its no worse than flu in terms of infectivity ,morbidity , mortality is overrated ie being alive is Ok its just that most of the mild cases arent diagnosed .

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
There cant be many real experts when there is a shortage of experience with it.
Last years flu killed young people so far this hasnt , its mainly old and compromised.
So with hindsight there will be plenty of experts.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There cant be many real experts when there is a shortage of experience with it.
Last years flu killed young people so far this hasnt , its mainly old and compromised.
So with hindsight there will be plenty of experts.
I'm sorry, but this is a very flawed approach.

There are experts in corona virus as there are epidemiologists, virologists, etc. etc. If there is no expertise in this then you also couldn't be making the arguments that you've put forward.

Regards mortality, which flu are you talking about, the average flu that we get each year or the Spanish Flu that killed 50 million people at a rate of 2.5% mortality rate?

There are just so many things wrong with what you're saying and I really wish that you'd post some kind of evidence for you position (something from WHO, subject matter experts such as virologists/epidemiologists/etc., Health depts, etc.).

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Salesman in the bike shop told me there's about to be a huge shortage of mountain bikes as a lot of the bits come from China. Said there will be no more Giant sales until next year now due to low stock. He reckons it's already started in the US. Scary times, lucky I just got my new bike today