COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Laid off my workforce today.

Stood down is the official wording. Staff are forced to use annual leave and long service leave, gets them to about June. Then they are fucked. Not redundant, so no payout.

Highly likely I face the same fate tomorrow. I have 6 weeks of AL and LSL. Fuck fuck fuckety fuck
Firstly I'm genuinely very sorry mate, I'm talking to business after business every day with the same story.

Secondly and this is NOT ADVICE but A PERSONAL OPINION/SUGGESTION, but if you lay off staff or get laid off, talk to Centrelink first about applying for benefit!!!!!!!

Also for business owners check out - business.gov.au for info on stiumuls payment which I know nothing about other than that.

With the coronoavirus and the upcoming subsidy/stimulus you may be in a better finanical position by claiming and receiving a government payment without using/having to use your Annual or Long Service Leave. By using AL/LSL it may delay any current/future claim that you would be eligible for until April 27 at which time the stimulus/subsidies take effect with a relaxation/removal of providing evidence as well as assett and income testing.

I'm happy to answer questions (with what little I know) via PM.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My first day working from home yesterday and that did mean Lunch Time Rides!! :D

Well at least until we get locked down

moorey

call me Mia
Is it just me, or would it be smart to allow people to do a big shop once a week on some sort of roster? Currently, I can only buy one of any items, so I have to go to the supermarket at least once a day for most basic supplies. This is making the social distance thing, and limiting of public interaction very hard. Surely most people are in the same boat, making all these unnecessary trips?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...boris really surprised me with his leadership qualities with that address to the uk. a clear concise message...
I don't think we should be calling this "leadership". We need a new word like "boris really surprised me with this followship..."

I think we've seen a distinct lack of "leading" to date.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
5 months? That is unbelievable. I think I am going to lay an egg. And giving frydenberg a blank cheque to bail out his mates? I'd say it's time to get to the streets and riot, but that's hard with social distancing.

So is it still 2 weeks isolation in New Zealand then you're in? Doesn't seem like that bad of an idea just now.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I'm fortunate that I have 100% free access to the outside border of my property. I've channeled my inner @silentbutdeadly, designed the track, just have to clear the prickles.
Me too but live in less arid climate . We have some Caltrop contamination from a hay truck they are bastards , no catheads/ 3 corner jacks is that what your prickles are?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Trump and Republicans translated = Money is more important than lives.
America is F%%$$# its desperate and about time they had a civil war and put all those guns to good use.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Is it just me, or would it be smart to allow people to do a big shop once a week on some sort of roster? Currently, I can only buy one of any items, so I have to go to the supermarket at least once a day for most basic supplies.
Good idea it would control hoarding and reduce the spread.

I just rang our local supermarket as the local GP and suggested that they put up a sign to stop people from feeling every bit of fruit and veg. Last night a woman felt 50 plums before she picked a few out .

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just me, or would it be smart to allow people to do a big shop once a week on some sort of roster?
I was just explaining the concept of odds and evens days during petrol strikes to my kid, i'm not sure if he believed we had to do that sometimes. something like that here may be hard to define sounds good but I'd hate to be the person low on stuff told you cant shop for 6 more days.

moorey

call me Mia
Trump and Republicans translated = Money is more important than lives.
America is F%%$$# its desperate and about time they had a civil war and put all those guns to good use.
This will mainly kill large numbers in cities and urban areas. They traditionally vote Democrat. Looks like a smart move for me.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'm fortunate that I have 100% free access to the outside border of my property. I've channeled my inner @silentbutdeadly, designed the track, just have to clear the prickles.
Me too but live in less arid climate . We have some Caltrop contamination from a hay truck they are bastards , no catheads/ 3 corner jacks is that what your prickles are?
We have those too. Just trusting Stan's to do it's job. Works on the way home. Tiny little Fuckers that stick to everything and go everywhere. They're Bastards

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So is anyone else troubled by the fact that the government ran into the room, threw a bag of money on the floor and then buggers off for 5 months?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-23/coronavirus-economic-stimulus-passes-parliament/12080388

The Federal Parliament has rushed through $84 billion in financial support for workers, students and businesses affected by the coronavirus outbreak, before wrapping up for a five-month-long break.

Parliament is now not due to sit again until August 11, with the May budget postponed and other parliamentary sitting days cancelled.
Parliament has approved an 'advance' of $40 billion for the finance minister to spend on unforeseen events from July 1 without needing parliamentary approval.

By comparison, the 'advance' for the current financial year was $1.2 billion.

What the actual fuck? Five months might as well be a hundred years with the rate that things are developing and it’s a safe bet that more stimulus will be needed before they resume, not to mention bailing out some critical businesses. Do they need to pass special powers to mobilise the army to impose martial law if it comes to it? Have any other country’s governments decided to take a break during this crisis?

I get that travel restrictions preclude sittings of the house, but surely technology can still enable effective functioning of our federal government FFS. The present situation is not unlike going to war, yet these clowns all run for the hills? If there was a time in history where we needed our leaders to stand up and lead, this is it. We’re now supposed to be reliant on our state governments?
Yep. So we've protected welfare recipients, Fucked over casual and salary people who pay taxes by offering them to dip into their own super or Coronavirus relief which they can't get for a month anyway. Or even longer as the MyGov website has crashed. Now we can take 5 months off at full pay.....
Why aren't we adopting the UK and potentially NZ, by paying salary/ full time workers 80% of their salary for 3 months so they don't lose everything if they lose their jobs? Not all of us are luckily enough to be able to work from home.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
5 months? That is unbelievable. I think I am going to lay an egg. And giving frydenberg a blank cheque to bail out his mates? I'd say it's time to get to the streets and riot, but that's hard with social distancing.

So is it still 2 weeks isolation in New Zealand then you're in? Doesn't seem like that bad of an idea just now.
No 4 weeks for NZ