Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

skivi

Likes Dirt
yours truly and my 1946 Beeza 500 OHV dirt tracker/rust chariot which was on show over the weekend at a great little bike show, she's not done yet, just gotta get myself a lathe now and learn to weld.

306610_10151078694455728_1322126302_n.jpg

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I wonder if these champions of the Modern Cafe Racer Resurgence Movement realise that the term "Cafe Racer" was originally coined as an insult?

jrewing

Eats Squid
I wonder if these champions of the Modern Cafe Racer Resurgence Movement realise that the term "Cafe Racer" was originally coined as an insult?
Made me laugh when I imagined how the phrase was thought up. Good one, never really put much into it.
Fitting for the road bicycle crew.

redbruce

Eats Squid
An old acquaintance of mine who grew up in the 60's in the UK reckons the the term, when applied to the form of customised bike and its use by the original hard core but fringe group (of which he was one - a rocker in the 59 club), although originally intended as an insult (by what riders considered to be the ignorant mainstream anyway) was embraced and worn as a badge of honour by the true believers but became somewhat maligned later when all the wonnabe's (posers more than riders) joined in.

As an aside, he continued to live the dream (still riding his first Triton and later Bol 'dor Honda) up until his death a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

This is my 2010 TM 250EN which I bought new mid 2011. I know it's not really in the theme of this thread but it's something a little different in a sea of KTM and Yamaha. It's Italian and has quite a home made feel about it when in the workshop. The plastics don't quite line up, the speedo is useless, and the lights go out at idle. But it's very fast, has rock solid handling and sounds awesome.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I think he made 4 or 5 of them up until the early 50's. Pretty much completely hand made. To say it was made by a 19 year old in a shed is a little disingenuous though, he did have a mill and a lathe. And obviously some mighty skills, and probably a good teacher!

An old acquaintance of mine who grew up in the 60's in the UK reckons the the term, when applied to the form of customised bike and its use by the original hard core but fringe group (of which he was one - a rocker in the 59 club), although originally intended as an insult (by what riders considered to be the ignorant mainstream anyway) was embraced and worn as a badge of honour by the true believers but became somewhat maligned later when all the wonnabe's (posers more than riders) joined in.

As an aside, he continued to live the dream (still riding his first Triton and later Bol 'dor Honda) up until his death a couple of years ago.
There is surprisingly little mention of cafe racers in my collection of UK bike mags from the early to mid 60s. Plenty of articles about rockers and the 59 club etc though, most of which would generate a flurry of indignant letters from "ton up boys" who considered rockers to be poseurs of the highest order. From what I can gather, cafe racers were bikes that looked like racing bikes of the day, but couldn't pull a ton. Mind you, most bikes back then couldn't pull the ton, but to the serious ton up boy having a bike that was all cock and no balls was an even greater sin than riding a slug!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Sorry Dudes, just found this ancient thread... haven't read the whole thing yet, working my way through it.

Here's a pic of a Ducati TT2 I built back in the day. I'd been to the Isle of Man and seen Tony Rutter and had to have one. Two years to build and three weeks to write off.

Attachments

stirk

Burner
Sorry Dudes, just found this ancient thread... haven't read the whole thing yet, working my way through it.

Here's a pic of a Ducati TT2 I built back in the day. I'd been to the Isle of Man and seen Tony Rutter and had to have one. Two years to build and three weeks to write off.
Drool, my second favorite ducati ever only beaten by the round case 750 sport

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
AllenMillyard4.jpg
The guy who built the Milyard DH gearbox bike with trick shock also built this.
This babe has a horse power up to 500, V-10 mirrored from the Dodge Viper RT/10 Supercar, and creat a motorcycle around it. The fuel tank capacity is about 8 litres. Allen milyard is all about doing bikes in a custom manner. Allen has adopted something unique. Unlike other bike firm’s Allen sells only custem made bikes. There is no such thing as re-bouring or anyother such modifications needed to be done to Her. All that is needed is to fit an engine inside a frame and start the ride.
“I like to think the factory works as my specials. My objective is to make a machine that could have been built as a prototype” says Allen. He has also attached two sixes togeather, creating a 2300cc V-12 Kawasaki.

floody

Wheel size expert
Out of all the wild and crazy Millyard specials, I think the simplest one is my favourite: This 100cc Honda 50-based V-twin. Magic. How is the sound!

[video=youtube;aTyUMgTWNv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTyUMgTWNv0[/video]

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
yeah that things awesome.I had a CB200 twin as my first road bike. So wish I kept it. Was a bit bent after using a car to stop. Motor would've been great as a table, or project. I've never seen one again.