Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

skivi

Likes Dirt
the HD Flatheads had two different series in the 1930's/1940's- the W series were 45 cubic inches in displacement (~750cc) and the big twin series motors were either 74ci or 80ci (~1200cc ish), visually the motors all look pretty similar but in reality are very different in terms of interchangeability, the frames are also very different too. the 45's were slow work horses, the big twin i rode on Saturday would happily pull 100 clicks all day if you can. 45" stuff is relatively easy to come by seeing as the yanks pumped out so many of the things for war service but in my opinion the big twin offers everything i love in old clunkers but with enough mumbo to allow longer rides at road speed, not that there's anything wrong with an old thumper doing 50mp/hr on country lanes but sometimes you need to get places and for people like me who have no interest in owning modern wiz bang bikes but rely on them for transport i felt envy riding the U!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
the HD Flatheads had two different series in the 1930's/1940's- the W series were 45 cubic inches in displacement (~750cc) and the big twin series motors were either 74ci or 80ci (~1200cc ish), visually the motors all look pretty similar but in reality are very different in terms of interchangeability, the frames are also very different too. the 45's were slow work horses, the big twin i rode on Saturday would happily pull 100 clicks all day if you can. 45" stuff is relatively easy to come by seeing as the yanks pumped out so many of the things for war service but in my opinion the big twin offers everything i love in old clunkers but with enough mumbo to allow longer rides at road speed, not that there's anything wrong with an old thumper doing 50mp/hr on country lanes but sometimes you need to get places and for people like me who have no interest in owning modern wiz bang bikes but rely on them for transport i felt envy riding the U!
Cheers. oh f*&^en 10!

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMG_0978.jpg
Loving these virago bobbers and cafe racers, very kool. This is me on my mates. I like it and will make one :help:

mlsred

Likes Dirt
Hey Nick
All is going well, possibly gonna be stuck here for another 8 weeks though -.- I hate hospitals!

That U model is rad as! like you i've never really been a harley kinda guy but that thing looks wicked, I love the tactically rolled up jeans and your face concentrating on "don't put the left foot onto that thing!". I was actually tossing up between an s&s shovel head in a rigid frame before I bought the striple, still glad I went with the striple though.

I might not be in here over the weekend I'm gonna be out and about a bit (planning my great escape from epworth rehab) so shoot us a text before you drop by just in case you meet an empty room when you get here. I will be at the BSA club meeting if it kills me though so if I don't see you over the weekend I'll see you then.

I've attached a couple of cool photos of some virago cafe racers as well, these are a bit bigger but goes to show with a bit of imagination anything can look cool!
docs-chops-virago.jpg

yamaha-xv1100.jpg

Both of these awesome customs have been built by http://docschops.net/ it's well worth a look.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I doubt that :behindsofa:

Haha, but I can totally imagine it was fun.
I once did an indicated 290km/h on an R1. Felt like nothing. I don't doubt 140 on an old H-D would feel like about 600 km/h on a modern bike.

So yeah, FUN!

mlsred

Likes Dirt
I once did an indicated 290km/h on an R1. Felt like nothing. I don't doubt 140 on an old H-D would feel like about 600 km/h on a modern bike.

So yeah, FUN!
I can vouch for that! I did the ton on my 49' B33 and that felt like 600km/h!

and a b33 has telescopic forks, that U model is still a springer!

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
King kenny Roberts chucking it in on his 250cc flat tracker.
Always been a big ''KR'' fan and i reckon this photo is awesome.

Attachments

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Yup it's turbo'ed, Garret T28 with 7PSI on a stock motor. It's a 1989 GSXR 750, Gix 1000 K2 front end with motor cross bars, VFR800 swinger, ZX6R seat. It is heaps of fun for a daily

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
King kenny Roberts chucking it in on his 250cc flat tracker.
Always been a big ''KR'' fan and i reckon this photo is awesome.
His bars were straight before the start too. Look how thin they are.

Yup it's turbo'ed, Garret T28 with 7PSI on a stock motor. It's a 1989 GSXR 750, Gix 1000 K2 front end with motor cross bars, VFR800 swinger, ZX6R seat. It is heaps of fun for a daily
WTF? Is that street legal? How often are you getting that old Jixer frame Xrayed for cracks?

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I know of a couple of guys with the same bike running over 250HP at the wheel, the frame is not a problem and i've added a few bits of bracing.

Yes it's 100% street legal, I made every effort so it never gets put off the road.

It's scared me a couple of times on hard launches, wheel spin and then stands up :scared:

Going back to the drags soon, i'll turn the boost up I think....

I don't ride with the 510's, I have thought about getting my riding boots resoled with 510 rubber tho... Great stuff on riding shoes and my climbing shoes