Channel 9's Olympic coverage - your thoughts?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It never fails to amaze me the sheer utter contempt the commercial networks in Australia have for their audience. The worst thing is that a great proportion of our population still happily sit glued to the f***ing box being spoon-fed big steaming piles of shit without complaint. It's a national embarrassment and the main reason why I will never once feel even the slightest bit guilty about downloading shows from the net.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With 20 or so sports happening at the same time, it is surely impossible to keep everybody happy. The swimming rates well and usually is what we are best at, so obviously their focus is on that for this week. When the swimming ends, we head to the athletics and the track cycling. They should show lots of the track!

The fact that they can't have their 3 channels, 9, GEM and GO showing different things is frustrating. The main one can have the commentary and focus on Australians, the other two could just be video and no commentary playing random, complete events.

The worst thing: Big Brother, Underbelly, Kerry Packer advertisements EVERYWHERE. Channel 9, i know that you will lose money because you have not sold enough ad space, but the solution is NOT to fill this space plugging your shows after the Olympics!

Something that confused me with these ads, like the Swiss and Skoda ads during Le Tour, is that if i see the ad 5 times and am not interested, do they think the 2876th time will finally convince me? You would think that if they only had several different ads then they could be played less often and we could see more sport, but no! Please 9, either cut your ad times, or cut your ad prices to allow a greater variety.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Maybe it isn't the fault of the broadcaster that you don't like the coverage. Maybe, just maybe................the Olympics are shit and boring to start with?

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Dunno if anyone bothered to notice...but channel 9 is showing olympics in like 576i (whatever dvd is, i can't remember and don't really care) and GEM is showing it in 1080i. but why both the same boring crap...duck knows
The equestrian coverage was from the int'l broadcast, it was mentioned *several* times.

Why the hell GO was showing a movie in primetime but waited until 1am to show new episodes of Fringe...wtf I downloaded it anyway, but still, wtf 1am !

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Ha ha - on the money.

Foxtel has wrecked rugby, and the national soccer league - its driven by money only, and you still get ads - what a terrible value proposition. It wont be long till internet is the preferred means of supply, and you'll b able to pay for 2 weeks for the coverage you want.

Mind you, 8 channels of choice must be a huge drama for someone with a short attention span - trying to flick through them all constantly. :D

(assuming they dont have a womens beach volleyball dedicated channel of course)
I admit, if there was a channel dedicated to women's beach volley ball I then would subscribe.
Can someone blessed with the 8 Foxtels channels sent from God himself confirm if they are playing ads during the games?

Because I know from being a fellow human being that has enjoyed tv even Foxtel I know it gives you the shits every 2 minutes to fumble around for the remote to change the channel again.

The point I made about it being a waste of $$$ is based on my opinion only that after so many years of watching the same repeated episodes of American Chopper and American Hotrod I thought it to be a waste of my money that could be better spent on other things like bikes, cars, fishing and generally anything to keep me ( and the ex girlfriend ) off of the couch.

Spend your money on whatever you like, I do and tv isn't on my list ;)

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear the swimming is on 9 !

A mate has the subscription on foxtel/austar whatever.... it rocks, and its even better that he pays for it and I get to watch it !!:clap2:

DHoffmann

Likes Bikes
To anyone who wants to watch fair and thorough coverage (not just rowing, swimming and horseprancing) and has a decent internet connection I have 2 options for you:

1. Search for and download HDTV Player 0.38 from the smallfiles website (starts a download directly so I won't link here). Make sure your region and language are not set to USA, so change those if necessary.
- There's 24 available channels which don't show previews or name what you're watching, so use this as a TV guide: http://www.freesat.co.uk/bbc-olympics/
- I've read about occasional issues with stream sources, so keep in mind it's not a perfect or guaranteed stream, but by far the best and easiest option I've found.

2. Download and install http://expatshield.com/, which provides you with a UK IP. Then visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video and choose your preferred channel.
- This option seems to have some buffering problems where the stream has to re-buffer anywhere from every 10 mins to every 30 seconds. Your mileage will vary.
- Expatshield is also a fairly pop-up intensive program, so you may find yourself frustrated with the behaviour of this program.

Both these options require new programs to be installed, and you may or may not trust them. Both options have worked for me, HDTV Player is the best quality and most consistent for me.

Plow King

Little bit.
Off topic. But i would happily pay for foxtel if they bought the rights to the f1 off the muppets over at the ten network. I guess if you're that much of an olympic fan that is the route to take.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
To anyone who wants to watch fair and thorough coverage (not just rowing, swimming and horseprancing) and has a decent internet connection I have 2 options for you:

1. Search for and download HDTV Player 0.38 from the smallfiles website (starts a download directly so I won't link here). Make sure your region and language are not set to USA, so change those if necessary.
- There's 24 available channels which don't show previews or name what you're watching, so use this as a TV guide: http://www.freesat.co.uk/bbc-olympics/
- I've read about occasional issues with stream sources, so keep in mind it's not a perfect or guaranteed stream, but by far the best and easiest option I've found.

2. Download and install http://expatshield.com/, which provides you with a UK IP. Then visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video and choose your preferred channel.
- This option seems to have some buffering problems where the stream has to re-buffer anywhere from every 10 mins to every 30 seconds. Your mileage will vary.
- Expatshield is also a fairly pop-up intensive program, so you may find yourself frustrated with the behaviour of this program.

Both these options require new programs to be installed, and you may or may not trust them. Both options have worked for me, HDTV Player is the best quality and most consistent for me.
:clap2: nice work !

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
thus far all i've managed to see them showing is freaking equestrian junk and highlights of swimming. Makes me want to call and abuse them, and I never want to do that.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Not specifically 9, but what has really ground my gears is the absolute grilling that the Australian 4x100 swim team has received after their 4th place finish in the event...

Not 2mins after they had gotten out of the pool, they are being interogated about why they didn't win... Clearly distraught, and absoring their result, they were then subjected to enslaught of media debauchary that left me gob-smacked.

Why on earth do they NEED to justify NOT WINNING? Sure they were confident, you bloody well have to be to stand a chance. But for our reporters (who are made up mostly of ex-olypic swimmers) to have the audacity to give a "please explain" to a group of athletes, that have trained their f*&king arses off to get a point where they can represent our country at the games, is quite simply beyond me. I'm disgusted, ashamed, and bloody well pissed off at the garbage these guys have had to answer to.

They have worked so hard to get where they are, the last thing they need, let alone deserve, is to have the very country they represent to turn there backs on them.

The 9 network played a big part in this. So, up yours channel 9.

akashra

Eats Squid
Why on earth do they NEED to justify NOT WINNING?
Maybe we should expect commentators and reporters to walk up to every other athlete who lost to an Aussie and ask them to justify it. I'll bet after getting punched in the face a few times they'll maybe see why they shouldn't have to ask the Aussies the same questions.

You're in the freaking Olympics. Someone has to win, and hey, guess what, it's not going to be you every time :/

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
They have worked so hard to get where they are, the last thing they need, let alone deserve, is to have the very country they represent to turn there backs on them.
+1

All this really pisses me off. All the interviews are so arrogant and condescending and they treat the athletes like they're a joke for not winning. Now we're getting people breaking down crying over getting Silver, teammates giving backhanded remarks to each other trying to shift the blame the media has assigned to them. This plus the blatantly sexist remarks, referring to women as girls, little girls, poor little girls, etc. Commenting on Leisel Jones' weight, etc.

I'm with akashra, I want to see one of these idiots punched in the face, or pushed in the pool.

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Not specifically 9, but what has really ground my gears is the absolute grilling that the Australian 4x100 swim team has received after their 4th place finish in the event...
Well, i suppose it is the job of the media to sensationalize things but, when you have a guy nicknamed "the missile" who is the fastest over 100m for the last 2 years in your team, a team that wins their heat and in the pool side interview straight after this "missile" dude is heard to say that he took it pretty easy and will swim faster in the final, is the media/public really bad for expecting gold?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Well, i suppose it is the job of the media to sensationalize things but, when you have a guy nicknamed "the missile" who is the fastest over 100m for the last 2 years in your team, a team that wins their heat and in the pool side interview straight after this "missile" dude is heard to say that he took it pretty easy and will swim faster in the final, is the media/public really bad for expecting gold?
The media and the public are the ones who build up this massive level of expectation, apply these godawful nicknames and pay absolutely zero attention to the performance (or even the bloody names) of the competition beforehand so yes.

Fuck 'em!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
They can go get fucked too.

They are responsible for the Xfactor and playing that shitful One Direction song every 5 mins. Thats one thing that makes me rage at the moment.
One thing I've noticed is that Channel 9 aren't following 7's path and throwing in massive on-screen ads for "Australia's got Herpes" "Celebrity Liontamer" or "Scatmunching With The Stars" during play like 7 always do during the Tennis. I wonder if this is network policy or IOC orders?

I suspect the latter as I just can't see 9 ever saying 'we have too much advertising'