Channel 9's Olympic coverage - your thoughts?

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Ahhh, it appears we have what is known as a 'condescending prick': (that means 'one who tries to talk down to others.')

Well mate, Jelly is what Americans call Jam (hence the famous Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich) so your attempt at intellectual and cultural superiority seems to have stumbled at the first hurdle

Also, use the term 'faggot' hockey again and it's a ban from the site you'll be copping.
sure, you can call me a condescending prick that's fine, but SEPPO is the norm. Happened once or twice but that's no thang, homie.
But i'm fairly certain i know exactly what americans call Jam, Jelly, and Marmalade. Jelly isn't what americans call Jam at all. Jelly is specified by the FDA as being fruit juice based with no chunks of fruit.
I ate myself a PB&J sandwich today, mighty tastey too.

I will happily walk away from this site and the hypocrites here rather than have you tell me what i do and don't know about america and americans. :usa:

spudda

Likes Bikes
BEACH VOLLEYBALL! Although short lived and one team was rather chunky I'm happy with the Germans. Plus they played the "field hockey" in full. Maybe channel 9 are listening to the general public complaints.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
+1

All this really pisses me off. All the interviews are so arrogant and condescending and they treat the athletes like they're a joke for not winning. Now we're getting people breaking down crying over getting Silver, teammates giving backhanded remarks to each other trying to shift the blame the media has assigned to them. This plus the blatantly sexist remarks, referring to women as girls, little girls, poor little girls, etc. Commenting on Leisel Jones' weight, etc.
Just saw this doing the rounds on Facebook and thought it was ace.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe, just maybe, if James Maggnusson had Eggs and a Choc Milk for breakfast he could have saved up a rather large fart and propelled himself 2/100th of a second faster and squeaked home first.

Mr Elbo, I agree with your post. I have been listening to the ABC Radio commentary and some of the comments would make A Village Idiot wince.

I think the Olympics has finally lost it's soul. Hopefully the Para-Olympics and the Special Olympics will demonstrate the spirit of competing.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It's about time athletes got treated like shit, they act like everyone else is beneath them because we don't ....swim, play faggot hockey, basketball, ride horses competatively. Hmmm, seems like really important things to do for the world. :wacko:
For what its worth, I'll gladly pick the shit out of that post............
Two of my family played hockey for Australia and could quite easily tear the throat out of any so called "hard c#@t man sport" players in Australia (ie league, union etc). They were two of the strongest and quickest cats around! They were also God damn lady slayers! They have a few notches on their gun's. ;)
Basketball? Basketball is also a tough guys game and a smart guys game. I play it and have done for twenty years. I'm a tough guy and play against tough guys but they are tough guys with a brain and play a very calculating and precise game. Admittedly, the game has some meat heads but far less than the obvious head smacking codes of footy or boxing.
Riding horses? Have you seen the control those people have to use to control those massive animals? Have you noticed the hot girls riding horses? That is a fine sport to promote!

I think the Olympics being shown in Australia usually attracts some criticism for sports that aren't too commonly played in Australia. Swimming isn't a massive sport for adults to compete in yet we are pretty good on the world stage. We need to embrace that and support our dudes and dudettes doing their thing as it is one of our best chances at being a power on the sporting scene.

willsy01

Eats Squid
The winter olympics is where it's at......there are only a few events that aren't that interesting to watch. Curling......I could watch that shit 'til the cows come home and it's just sliding a big rock down the ice.

akashra

Eats Squid
Here's what I remember of the Winter olympics:
Bobsleigh.
Bobsleigh crashes.
Skeleton.

It was the swimming if the winter Olympics, you'd swear there was nothing else on.

Alby

Cannon Fodder
Commentators without specific Olympic Sports Experiance are worse than useless.

With the exception of Ray 'Rabbits' Warren, Australian Football commentators and Football Executives as commentators like Edward Joseph "Eddie" McGuire and James Antony Brayshaw are a bloody embarrassment to the Olympics Movement and the coverage of the Olympics.

Their ego's are ridiculously oversized. McGuire had the audacity to interject and cut Robert De Castella's commentary off on several occasions during the Men's Marathon. McGuire added his 2 cents worth with a naive and trite perspective of someone who has probably never run a Marathon let alone represented his country let alone Won a Marathon.

Brayshaw is just an absolute joke with his over exaggeration and interruption over James Tomkins at the Rowing, Canoeing and Kayaking. Why can't we find expert commentators like Phil Ligget who add to the pictures , not detract from them ? At least Channel 9 took the Sailing commentary feed from the BBC so at least that wasn't buggered up.

Wide World of Sports, Ken Sutcliffe just must cringe with embarrassment at the likes of Carl Stefanovic, Eddie McGuire and James Brayshaw.

The sooner that Channel 9 loose the rights to broadcast the Olympics the better. Grant Hackett Ray Warren, Australia’s most accomplished sports commentator were good at the Pool but Giaan Rooney's words were close to useless.

James Tomkins (Rowing) was good thank you, Kerri Pottharst (Beach Volleyball) was good thank you, Scott Mc Grory (Cycling) with Phil Ligget were good thank you, Debbie Watson (Water Polo) was good, Andrew Gaze (Basketball) was good, Jane Flemming (Athletics) was good but not special, Melinda Gainsford Taylor (Athletics) was good thank you, Michael Slater (Diving) was just bearable, Andrew Voss (Weightlifting) was OK, James Brayshaw (Rowing) was an embarrassment and Eddie McGuire (Marathon and Triathlon) was true to form and a total embarrassment, poor Deeks. Interviews with Maurice Green, Michael Johnson and Linford Christie were very good. Michael Johnson insight and forecasts were spot on, thank you Michael. All in all I'm embarrassed for Australian Olympics fans that we have to be subjected to a few useless commentators who spoil the Olympics but the individuals in question have such big ego's they probably can't even turn their heads to notice how big a drongo's they really are.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't call Brayshaw terrible. Tomkins would always get excited and start talking about the Australian crew in 6th who looks to be "coming home strong", so Brayshaw would cut him off and talk about the crews who were actually leading.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Long live Andrew Gaze as and Aussie icon and our best commentator. He is about the only one who commentates a sport that he has played and actually knows and understands. He sounds cheery, he enjoys the telecast and he keeps a basketball fan entertained. For those that haven't picked it, he is also bloody funny and says the right thing at the right time and he gets the players' name right!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Eddie everywhere was terrible. Didn't even know the name of one of the Aussie marathoners. 'Matthew Dent'....no Ed, its MARTIN. I could go on, but it would be very long. In closing "Channel 9, you did a shit job"

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I think Channel 9 were on a hiding to nothing here. One channel, 20+ sports to pick from. Clearly, they were never going to please 100% of the TV audience - some people were bound to be pissed off at some stage.

Their biggest mistake was to have such poor commentators. For instance, why was James Brayshaw doing the rowing - he has NO cred. Same goes for Eddie MacGuire in all the bloody sports he was invovled in. At best they should have chimed in with a few questions for the "expert" commentator (ie. the person who has cred) to answer. I didn't need to know that the mens marathon winner was the 6th of 7 children about 79 times.

Seems if you were a member of the Footy show, you got a gig - bloody hopeless.

Bloody glad I had Foxtel!

Sic

Likes Dirt
Whats more frustrating is that they had more than 1 channel they just didnt use them. The 3d channel they had was pretty much showing re-runs of the opening ceremony and the 2 other dedicated channels were showing the same thing at the same time....