Channel 9's Olympic coverage - your thoughts?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Well, i suppose it is the job of the media to sensationalize things but, when you have a guy nicknamed "the missile" who is the fastest over 100m for the last 2 years in your team, a team that wins their heat and in the pool side interview straight after this "missile" dude is heard to say that he took it pretty easy and will swim faster in the final, is the media/public really bad for expecting gold?
Sure we all expected a medal, but that isn't the point, at all. It's a sport, winning anything isn't guaranteed. To publicly humiliate a team for not winning is absolutely disgusting behaviour.
Instewas of kicking them while they're down, why not encourage and support them to bounce back? Is that so far out if the realm of understanding?

Incidentally, the missile is bouncing back and qualified fastest for the100m final... Watch as the entire nation reneg their comments and join a band wagon of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie" if he manages to win.... It's sickening.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, i suppose it is the job of the media to sensationalize things but, when you have a guy nicknamed "the missile" who is the fastest over 100m for the last 2 years in your team, a team that wins their heat and in the pool side interview straight after this "missile" dude is heard to say that he took it pretty easy and will swim faster in the final, is the media/public really bad for expecting gold?
What's worse than James maggnison losing?

James maggnison winning.

Every time I see him talk, I have an overwhelming urge to punch him in the face. Can you imagine the gloating if he won?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

MasterOfReality

After forever
One thing I've noticed is that Channel 9 aren't following 7's path and throwing in massive on-screen ads for "Australia's got Herpes" "Celebrity Liontamer" or "Scatmunching With The Stars" during play like 7 always do during the Tennis. I wonder if this is network policy or IOC orders?

I suspect the latter as I just can't see 9 ever saying 'we have too much advertising'
Hahaha, either way I don't bother much with free to air stuff anymore.

ABC or SBS for the news and thats me done!

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
+1

All this really pisses me off. All the interviews are so arrogant and condescending and they treat the athletes like they're a joke for not winning. Now we're getting people breaking down crying over getting Silver, teammates giving backhanded remarks to each other trying to shift the blame the media has assigned to them. This plus the blatantly sexist remarks, referring to women as girls, little girls, poor little girls, etc. Commenting on Leisel Jones' weight, etc.

I'm with akashra, I want to see one of these idiots punched in the face, or pushed in the pool.
I laughed so hard at that. It's about time athletes got treated like shit, they act like everyone else is beneath them because we don't ....swim, play faggot hockey, basketball, ride horses competatively. Hmmm, seems like really important things to do for the world. :wacko:

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently poor old channel 9 thinks there are only 3 events in the Olympics. Equestrian, Cycling and Swimming.

akashra

Eats Squid
I laughed so hard at that. It's about time athletes got treated like shit, they act like everyone else is beneath them because we don't ....swim, play faggot hockey, basketball, ride horses competatively. Hmmm, seems like really important things to do for the world. :wacko:
Faggot hockey... is that like when you're all out camping and there's a pile of sticks from which you each grab one and start hitting a rock around the campsite?

Edit: I fully recognise and accept that the rightful game name of 'Hockey' belongs to what is otherwise known as 'Ice hockey'.
Calling Field Hockey 'Hockey' is as tragic as calling Soccer 'Football'.

Let the fames begin!

Last edited:

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Faggot hockey... is that like when you're all out camping and there's a pile of sticks from which you each grab one and start hitting a rock around the campsite?
No, faggot hockey is where you play hockey with piles of bundled sticks around the field acting as obstacles. What else could it be?

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Sure we all expected a medal, but that isn't the point, at all. It's a sport, winning anything isn't guaranteed. To publicly humiliate a team for not winning is absolutely disgusting behaviour.
Instewas of kicking them while they're down, why not encourage and support them to bounce back? Is that so far out if the realm of understanding?

Incidentally, the missile is bouncing back and qualified fastest for the100m final... Watch as the entire nation reneg their comments and join a band wagon of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie" if he manages to win.... It's sickening.
well we are a nation that promotes tall poppy syndrome. you are right, winning isn't guaranteed but publicly suggesting in a post race interview that you took it easy and can go faster shows a lack of humility. If he had kept quiet, raced and not won, then so be it.

Good luck to him in the 100m though, i reckon he'll come through with the goods.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Edit: I fully recognise and accept that the rightful game name of 'Hockey' belongs to what is otherwise known as 'Ice hockey'.
Calling Field Hockey 'Hockey' is as tragic as calling Soccer 'Football'.!
Your post is light on any sort of reasoning......i'm yet to see any 'fames' either.

The Oxford Dictionary disagrees with you on all counts anyway. Consider your post nullfied.

Thanks for playing.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Calling Field Hockey 'Hockey' is as tragic as calling Soccer 'Football'.

Let the fames begin!
Well, hot-diggity dawg! does that mean you're also going to start calling Gridiron -'football', Jam- 'Jelly' and pancakes with maple syrup, ice cream and bacon washed down with a gallon cup of Coca Cola - 'breakfast'? :rolleyes:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
And what makes what you do so philanthropically sound?

It's the freaking Olympics.... Why does everyone have to dissect it....

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I seen someones face get crushed with a hockey stick, Maybe the guy on the recieving end called him fagget..

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Well, hot-diggity dawg! does that mean you're also going to start calling Gridiron -'football', Jam- 'Jelly' and pancakes with maple syrup, ice cream and bacon washed down with a gallon cup of Coca Cola - 'breakfast'? :rolleyes:
Jam and Jelly aren't actually the same thing at all. Jam has chunks of fruit in it, jelly has none or is what some use to describe gelatin, marmalade has fruit rind in it. A biscuit is a baked good that uses baking powder instead of yeast, similar to a scone but fluffier, and similar in size and shape to a hockey puck. Hence the hockey term "put the biscuit in the basket". :fish2:

faggot hockey - what men who can't hack it in a real sport play. also, women's ice and field hockey may be refered to as faggot hockey. anything so completely stupid in and of itself that it cannot be described in any other way. synonymous terms include 'fat chick sport' and 'waste of time'. ex. This post was about as interesting as faggot hockey.

akashra

Eats Squid
What you've described is the difference between Jam and Conserve. To the average person, they're called the same thing.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Jam and Jelly aren't actually the same thing at all. Jam has chunks of fruit in it, jelly has none or is what some use to describe gelatin, marmalade has fruit rind in it. A biscuit is a baked good that uses baking powder instead of yeast, similar to a scone but fluffier, and similar in size and shape to a hockey puck. Hence the hockey term "put the biscuit in the basket". :fish2:

faggot hockey - what men who can't hack it in a real sport play. also, women's ice and field hockey may be refered to as faggot hockey. anything so completely stupid in and of itself that it cannot be described in any other way. synonymous terms include 'fat chick sport' and 'waste of time'. ex. This post was about as interesting as faggot hockey.
Ahhh, it appears we have what is known as a 'condescending prick': (that means 'one who tries to talk down to others.')

Well mate, Jelly is what Americans call Jam (hence the famous Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich) so your attempt at intellectual and cultural superiority seems to have stumbled at the first hurdle

Also, use the term 'faggot' hockey again and it's a ban from the site you'll be copping.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My new approach to watching the hockey at the moment: Channel 9 on mute, ABC radio on. Slightly better, still quite biased commentary in favour of Australia.