Car ports

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Looking to erect some kind of sail cloth over the driveway - enough to cover two cars and protect them from the sun, birdshit etc.

Problem is it gets pretty damn windy where I live so it needs to be pretty secure.

A quick Google has thrown up everything from Bunnings(el cheap I option) to custom made bad-boys (mega pricey). Has anyone out there had any experience setting up this kind of thing? Any tips?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Can't recommend anything, other than getting a pro to do it, I've seen facia ripped off houses, post snapped off at ground level and whipped through brickwork. A sail that's strong enough to stand up to even moderately strong winds can turn fixings, such as turnbuckles and chain into decapitation hazards. And anything that will give out before the anchor does, will be pretty much rags in a spring breeze. And FFS don't buy one of those stupid gazebo style ones, it'll end up on French Island if a sparrow farts near it.

#nickstevensisachunt

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Looking to erect some kind of sail cloth over the driveway - enough to cover two cars and protect them from the sun, birdshit etc.

Problem is it gets pretty damn windy where I live so it needs to be pretty secure.

A quick Google has thrown up everything from Bunnings(el cheap I option) to custom made bad-boys (mega pricey). Has anyone out there had any experience setting up this kind of thing? Any tips?

I built this. It's not flash but it works well and has been up for 6 years

Attachments

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Wouldn't you vehicles rust into dust before they're before the end of their first service interval, PoSm?

#nickstevensisachunt

DMan

Have you used a sort of shade cloth there?
Yep. I can't remember what is was but it was a higher density material. I think about 70% shade. I ran it over the structure then rolled it in a 75X50 and fixed that to the side. That way it spreads the load across the whole strip and doesn't rip when it gets windy. Each 1.8m wide piece (it comes in a 1.8m x 50m roll) is zip tied to the one next door so the air goes between the segments as opposed to trying to rip the whole shadecoth off. Well that was what I thought anyway. I'm no engineer me...

DMan

Wouldn't you vehicles rust into dust before they're before the end of their first service interval, PoSm?

#nickstevensisachunt
I sell them before that...
I don't live near the beach. Not everyone from QLD lives near the ocean FFS... :peace:

DMan

Can't recommend anything, other than getting a pro to do it, I've seen facia ripped off houses, post snapped off at ground level and whipped through brickwork. A sail that's strong enough to stand up to even moderately strong winds can turn fixings, such as turnbuckles and chain into decapitation hazards. And anything that will give out before the anchor does, will be pretty much rags in a spring breeze. And FFS don't buy one of those stupid gazebo style ones, it'll end up on French Island if a sparrow farts near it.

#nickstevensisachunt
Chicken....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thought of a tin roof carport, you can buy them in kit form and put them up yourself.
This man speaks the truth.
Sails are only good and reliable over maybe a single car area or small patio, not a double width driveway etc. They put too much variable stress on any sort of reasonably retained and embedded post or pillar and will fuck out.
I may or may not have jmped from a roof onto one and found it quite comfortable to land on, that s about the only use I could find for one.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Besides I'd have thought you'd just get a kid on each corner to hold the shade cloth up?
I don't need a carport, I've had saddles made up for the kids, sold both SUVs. Suck on that one Haakon :thumb:

#nickstevensisachunt

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

#nickstevensisachunt
Because using professional worked out well with your extensions not so long ago...

This man speaks the truth.
Sails are only good and reliable over maybe a single car area or small patio, not a double width driveway etc. They put too much variable stress on any sort of reasonably retained and embedded post or pillar and will fuck out.
I may or may not have jmped from a roof onto one and found it quite comfortable to land on, that s about the only use I could find for one.
May have jumped...may have fell.

I don't need a carport, I've had saddles made up for the kids, sold both SUVs. Suck on that one Haakon :thumb:

#nickstevensisachunt
You want Haakon to suck off one of your horse? That's just fucking wierd dude.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
I run a Small builder Co that specializes in decks patios and carports. We pull a lot of sails down. Cheap sails are a temporary fix. A quality sail professionally installed that will cover 2 cars will cost at least a few thousand.

Cons
A lot of builders are reluctant to attach sails to the house as it requires penetrating the house roof and flashing the rear posts through the roof, a recipe for leaks. If you are going to do this, get it done professionally, and ensure the posts are attached down to the Top plate, tie down is crucial in big storms.

The alternative is to have 4 freestanding 120 x 120mm posts into massive footing 600 x 600 x 1200mm deep. $$$$ and ugly as they are usually smack in front of the house.

Sails are not insurable, they are, as knuckles I think mentioned, fucking dangerous if a shackle lets go. They'll kill ya!

They go moldy and look older than they are and are prick to clean.

Pros,
In terms of materials sails are probably cheaper than a steel carport, (but a steel carport would be easier to install yourself, so you would save on labor).

Sails do not need council approval.

My opinion with few assumptions.

I would suggest buying a kit from someone like "Stratco", look at the sanctuary product maybe. Assuming you are putting in front of the house you want a product you can attach to the house.
NB suppliers like Titan and other shed co's do not have engineering to attach to the house so you end up with ugly posts in front of the eave or up the wall.
Stratco has engineering to attach to the house and supply rafter brackets enabling you to attach the back end of the roof to the house trusses. If its a high house, it straight on the wall.

If you want to go down this track and want some help with the kit spec side of things, let me know exactly what you want to do (attachment wise, budget etc) and I can point you in the right direction. But if you are looking for a real cheap solution, it gets hard, you know the one, "Ya get what ya pay for"

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

#nickstevensisachunt
Probably but that's just another hidden problem for the sucker who buys it on from me.
Meanwhile I don't want birdshit on my new car.

The irony is I've got a big fuck-off garage I could use but I want to leave at least one car visible in the driveway whenever I go away, on account of the holiday-home targeting thieving little bastards who live nearby.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I run a Small builder Co that specializes in decks patios and carports. We pull a lot of sails down. Cheap sails are a temporary fix. A quality sail professionally installed that will cover 2 cars will cost at least a few thousand.

Cons
A lot of builders are reluctant to attach sails to the house as it requires penetrating the house roof and flashing the rear posts through the roof, a recipe for leaks. If you are going to do this, get it done professionally, and ensure the posts are attached down to the Top plate, tie down is crucial in big storms.

The alternative is to have 4 freestanding 120 x 120mm posts into massive footing 600 x 600 x 1200mm deep. $$$$ and ugly as they are usually smack in front of the house.

Sails are not insurable, they are, as knuckles I think mentioned, fucking dangerous if a shackle lets go. They'll kill ya!

They go moldy and look older than they are and are prick to clean.

Pros,
In terms of materials sails are probably cheaper than a steel carport, (but a steel carport would be easier to install yourself, so you would save on labor).

Sails do not need council approval.

My opinion with few assumptions.

I would suggest buying a kit from someone like "Stratco", look at the sanctuary product maybe. Assuming you are putting in front of the house you want a product you can attach to the house.
NB suppliers like Titan and other shed co's do not have engineering to attach to the house so you end up with ugly posts in front of the eave or up the wall.
Stratco has engineering to attach to the house and supply rafter brackets enabling you to attach the back end of the roof to the house trusses. If its a high house, it straight on the wall.

If you want to go down this track and want some help with the kit spec side of things, let me know exactly what you want to do (attachment wise, budget etc) and I can point you in the right direction. But if you are looking for a real cheap solution, it gets hard, you know the one, "Ya get what ya pay for"
Cheers bud. That's a great help!

Unfortunately it all looks like it's going in the 'too hard' basket. The cars can fend for themselves!

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Cheers bud. That's a great help!

Unfortunately it all looks like it's going in the 'too hard' basket. The cars can fend for themselves!
Can't agree more, do it once, do it properly, the other one is keep an eye out on Gumtree, often people upgrading advertise structures at low cost, usually you have to pull them down yourself.