Can America be fixed?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yep. They do. And yes they are. Doesn't change the fact that those speific rules do little for decreasing gun violence.
In your limited experience. My limited experience is that gun owners comply. So you are not right and clearly neither am I. I just hang out with people who are smart enough to know the consequences of flouting the law.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I know a few people who own guns that most definately don't follow various rules like keep8ng the ammo separate or even keeping the gun in a safe. They only have these things because the law says they have to. People they know who own guns also don't follow these rules.

So agree with all the regs shops have to follow and various waiting periods and background checks etc, but the peripheral stuff is hard to police.
If they get caught they'll be in a lot of trouble, even worse if someone steals the guns and commits a crime with them. We get random checks here all the time in Qld, police even check if the guns have been fired recently.

If you hold guns with a gun license and someone reports you for domestic violence of any type, even if the claim is alledged and not substantiated the police will remove your guns and suspend your license ASP, I've seen it happen firsthand with friends.

mark22

Likes Dirt
I know a few people who own guns that most definately don't follow various rules like keep8ng the ammo separate or even keeping the gun in a safe. They only have these things because the law says they have to. People they know who own guns also don't follow these rules.

So agree with all the regs shops have to follow and various waiting periods and background checks etc, but the peripheral stuff is hard to police.
None that I know do that, maybe they don't hold them legally.
Or it could be that I don't mix with fools.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Then they are idiots. Random checks do happen.
Yep, here in Australia there are no parking or speeding ticket equivalent when it comes to firearms stuff. In WA empty cartridges are deemed to be ammo. If you’re careless with your spent brass, you leave yourself open to having your firearms seized, loss of license and an expensive legal bill to defend it in court.

The details vary between states but this is the kind of stuff that doesn’t contribute to public safety. Any suggestion that this type of regulation/penalty is excessive and should be changed, is howled down with accusations of “watering down gun laws” and “we don’t want to end up like the US”

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you hold guns with a gun license and someone reports you for domestic violence of any type, even if the claim is alledged and not substantiated the police will remove your guns and suspend your license ASP, I've seen it happen firsthand with friends.
indeed, a good mate of mine went through that via a vindictive ex wife, who deliberately turned up at his workplace and staged a noisy confrontation, then reported threats of violence to police, got an AVO or whatever it’s called here. Cops turned up the next Saturday morning and seized his firearms, 18 months and about $8K later he got them back. She withdrew her allegations at the court just before the hearing. No accountability for the false allegations, time and expense incurred, apparently AVO’s are widely abused in this manner.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saying ‘That guy might have a gun so I’ll get a gun’ is the beginnings of an arms race.
For the US, that was a couple of hundred years ago.

I don’t see what the twats on Project, Sunrise, Fox, Sky or anything else have to do with it.
They push the Gun Control propaganda and have some influence on public opinion. Not sure how much of the public is dumb enough to think they are being informed by those “infotainment” shows, but there must be enough for those shows to survive.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
How does forcing gun owners to lock up guns not decrease gun violence. It makes it harder for muts that break into your house to steal them for one!
Are you suggesting that the majority of gun violence is caused by people breaking into houses, stealing guns, then killing people? I guess the mass shootings of late could have all been prevented if the owners had just locked up their guns....o wait. It was their guns, that they bought, legally. Should have bought a bigger/better gun safe I guess?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
In your limited experience. My limited experience is that gun owners comply. So you are not right and clearly neither am I. I just hang out with people who are smart enough to know the consequences of flouting the law.
My comment doesn't suggest not keeping them in a safe is correct. It's dumb. My point is that the safes themselves don't do much to prevent the violence. Sure it stops tour guns being stolen, but violent people will remove said gun from safe and perpetrate violence.

IMO the issue is less how they are stored, and more who they are sold to and who can legally hold a gun license.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you suggesting that the majority of gun violence is caused by people breaking into houses, stealing guns, then killing people? I guess the mass shootings of late could have all been prevented if the owners had just locked up their guns....o wait. It was their guns, that they bought, legally. Should have bought a bigger/better gun safe I guess?
Where did I say majority.
It's pretty simple, less guns in idiots hands the less they have potential to be used against me or you. Black market guns used in violent crimes come from somewhere.
Violent gun crime doesn't have to involve killing someone either! I was in no way being specific to the worst of the worst gun crimes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
No students or staff will be returning to Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, the site of a tragic massacre last month, Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Hal Harrell reaffirmed Friday.

Victim's father also demands answers from gun manufacturer
On Friday, lawyers for the father of shooting victim Amerie Jo Garza, 10, also demanded answers from the gun manufacturer.
A letter issued on behalf of Alfred Garza III asked the maker of the AR-15 style rifle used in the massacre to provide all marketing information, particularly strategy aimed at teens and children, according to a statement from the attorneys.
The statement said Garza's Texas lawyers, Mikal Watts and Charla Aldous, have teamed up with Josh Koskoff, who represented nine Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting families in a US$73 million settlement against Remington, the maker of the AR-15 used in the 2012 school shooting.
"She would want me to do everything I can, so this will never happen again to any other child," Alfred Garza III said in the statement. "I have to fight her fight."

https://www.9news.com.au/world/no-students-will-return-to-robb-elementary-

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'll be very concerned, 40 years after he dies, when he is released.
I wouldn't be too concerned about his whereabouts in the current times, but he spent a fair bit of time on the run around here. Stole some guns, shot a cop, lost some guns, stole some more, and so on. I was surprised he was eventually captured in a fairly calm manner.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I wouldn't be too concerned about his whereabouts in the current times, but he spent a fair bit of time on the run around here. Stole some guns, shot a cop, lost some guns, stole some more, and so on. I was surprised he was eventually captured in a fairly calm manner.
I think he'd had enough of running around and was happy to get fed and watered for the rest of his life. Even thanked the judge for the sentence.

Got bashed by one of the victims relatives, who also happened to be inside serving 24yrs, so that is nice.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Media and government collaborating to demonise recreational shooters.

Nek minnit....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think he'd had enough of running around and was happy to get fed and watered for the rest of his life. Even thanked the judge for the sentence.

Got bashed by one of the victims relatives, who also happened to be inside serving 24yrs, so that is nice.
I can't imagine the highland life was very rewarding.