Bowden Spur Kinglake - Shepherds DH trail.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I went out yesterday for a proper look and check in with progress and left there totally amped with the feel and direction of what Rhys, Brett, Ben and WT had achieved. I gotta say Rhys is a master on that machine, his work is super clean, quick and really imaginative. He has used the terrain as best he can and I can't wait to get a chance to ride it.

The top section (Huxs pics don't do it justice) is pretty amazing and probably could best be described as a DH Moto style track with a shit load of flow and some pretty big floaty DH jumps, maybe 6 or 7 jumps in total and the last one probably 35ft plus but all roll-able and very easy to go round with no risk taken. They will require some good speed and technique to clear and most riders will have to work up to the bigger ones which I think will make the track a great challenge for everyone.

They are half way through the second open section and as we only have half of what we originally thought we would have due to some private land issues he has made it as good as possible with some real fast tech off cambers and rolly type stuff, it'll have a differnet personality to the top and as we get further down you will see more rock come into the track and the personality change again.

All in all I'm excited with what has been done, it will be a truely unique track for Vic and maybe even the country. The opening will be sometime early June so not long away at all and believe me you'll all be pretty happy to be able to call this new trail your local. Rumour has it there may even be a race there as early as next VDHS.

In regards to the pump track question, there is plans for one of those down the track as well as a short flowy type XC/AM trail below the carpark and what seems to have gone over most peoples head is a second DH trail down the RHS of the road, all of these things have been approved and all this will become clearer when the Park signage goes in. For those that were concerned with the tyre marks, it was Rhys having a roll and he will continue to roll the track to make sure it all works so that is good news that no one is out there removing barricades to ride the unfinished trail. But please, if you are thinking of taking your bike out there, stay off it until it is officially open.

Get amped people, not long now.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The top section (Huxs pics don't do it justice) is pretty amazing and probably could best be described as a DH Moto style track with a shit load of flow and some pretty big floaty DH jumps, maybe 6 or 7 jumps in total and the last one probably 35ft plus but all roll-able and very easy to go round with no risk taken. They will require some good speed and technique to clear and most riders will have to work up to the bigger ones which I think will make the track a great challenge for everyone.
Sounds awesome Wisey - definitely getting pumped. Are these big jumps doubles or tables?

jimmijolly

Likes Bikes
getting pumped for this, cant wait to have a crack at these jumps, just what I wanted, cheers lads!

:very_drunk:

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking great! How "shuttleable" is the track? Is there a walk from the drop off to the trail head?
Last time I rode Kinglake was a fair while back but the shuttle road was fine. It is dirt and a bit rough and the turnaround was not good. However, I hear that the turnarounds will be fixed up so shuttles will be fine on this road. Although, I do remember some sharp corners and the road being pretty skinny in sections so hopefully there isn't too much trouble with all the traffic that road is going to receive once this opens up.

I'm looking forward to getting out on the bike once it is all systems go out there.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
The road is fantastic. My old man drove my Commodore with bald tyres up. The road is actually pretty heavily used, especially at school time when parents go to Strathewen Primary to pick up the kids. It is wide and fine. There are also heaps of turnaround points, it just depends (well depended) on where you stopped your run.

Unless WT changed the start point of this particular track, it is about a 50 metre flat walk to the start. The road is also easy to do push-ups on, though offers little shade and can feel like your hiking in the desert in summer. But look out for said car traffic.

Last edited:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless WT changed the start point of this particular track, it is about a 50 metre flat walk to the start. The road is also easy to do push-ups on, though offers little shade and can feel like your hiking in the desert in summer. But look out for said car traffic.
All new turnarounds top and bottom plus a new separate carpark and dunny at the top and the track will start 100m further up than where it used too. It is one of the easiest and quickest shuttles around.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
All new turnarounds top and bottom plus a new separate carpark and dunny at the top and the track will start 100m further up than where it used too. It is one of the easiest and quickest shuttles around.
Another 100m of track further up? Awesome!
Can't wait for the opening.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Started watching a time lapsed walk through vid of the track work so far this morning, was looking for it now but can't find it.. was it here or somewhere else? Or taken down perhaps? Cheers.. Oh, things are looking pretty damn sweet, big ups to all those making it happen!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Started watching a time lapsed walk through vid of the track work so far this morning, was looking for it now but can't find it.. was it here or somewhere else? Or taken down perhaps? Cheers.. Oh, things are looking pretty damn sweet, big ups to all those making it happen!
found this on Kona factory teams page. http://vimeo.com/40342944
it is looking very sweet! cant wait till it is finished!

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Does look really fast and flowy.

For comparison, this is what the track looked like 1 week before work commenced.

[video=youtube;UnDmpfKK3vo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnDmpfKK3vo[/video]