Bowden Spur Kinglake - Shepherds DH trail.

bcb

Likes Bikes
sheperds run

As Juzzy has suggested, i think it would be a great thing to see this trail named in honour of Danny Shepherd. For anyone that didnt know Danny, he was the guy behind the filming lense of the INERTIA mtb film, and DOWNHILL DRUNK AND DISSORDELY before that. Danny literally spent YEARS and alot of his own money travelling to races and places to film races and riding, and to live and breathe the downhill lifestyle. His work and time has done alot to highlight downhill in Victoria and around the country. Danny was a rider, and a great guy, and sadly his life ended at King Lake during the fires, an area where he was originally from.

Why not name a trail after a rider, film maker, local downhill icon who did alot for our sport? Pretty fitting I think.
im with you ben .Danny spent so much time up there, trail building ,riding and filming it would be a fitting tribute to the General...

benketch

Likes Bikes
I didn't know the guy, but I think "Shepherd's run" sounds better that "the general". So "Shepherd's run" gets my vote.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Naming it after Danny would hold some considerable meaning compared to just making something up. Danny, Jarrah, Billly M, and the other fellas where up there in early 99 (or earlier?) building the original track

Danny was a great guy - I never heard say anything malicious about anyone, raced and work with him for many years as a bicycle courier (and slept in the pano). From memory Danny only ever had a hardtail until he bought Gersh's turner. afterburner.

He also turned plumb red every time we ended up in a nudie bar late on a friday night, and he refused to look at the strippers below neck level. The nice stripper ladies had some fun with him and he got a lot of attention from them, lol.

Shepherds run has my vote.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
"Shepherds"

Plain and simple. Very fitting. I never knew the General but it certainly sounds right to me. Wisey, lock it in sir!

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Track names

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. We are planning long term for the site and this means more than 1 DH track.

There are a couple of standouts for me so far including:
Shepherds Run/The General
The Pheonix
KL230 (my spin on 2 good suggestions)
Bow Wow

If someone has a contact for a family member of Danny Shepherd, could you please PM me. I would like to get family approval prior to going down this path.

Mark

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Mark, if the track is not named after Danny for what ever reason, I think it would be very fitting to have some sort of plaque or memorial up there.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately can't say that I knew of Danny before this, but "Shepherd's run' certanly has a nice ring to it.

I'd without a doubt also love to see it named Sheperd's. Likewise placing a memorial up there honouring Danny. I know there's plenty of us who knew him that would gladly contribute to help cover the expense of a memorial.

He was a Kinglake roots kid with a diamond heart who not only gave a great deal to the Vic MTB scene, but most importantly life. He gave himself to everyone around him- that's just the kind of guy he was. Danny's character & commitment to the people & the things he loved in life was summed up in his final act, whereby leaving his new wife in the safety of their Ocean Grove home he drove the 2hrs back to Kinglake to join his father in trying to save the family home that terrible & tragic Saturday. As you are all by now aware, sadly both Danny & his father perished up there in the Black Saturday fires & the Victorian MTBing community lost a very special friend & advocate.

Please do honour the memory of him.

dishee

Squid
Definitely think the the track should be named to honor Danny, secondly nice work wisey, great you have mark urquart onboard with all the works as well ,cheers

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted idea's. There have been some good ones.
The Spur
Sheperd's, Sheperds Run
Kings Canyon
KL230
Phoenix
The Cut
Flowrider
ACDC
The General
Just to summarise the main ones.

I will take these to the working group, who are working on the development of the site. I'm glad to say that a number of these names or variations of them, will be used at Bowden Spur, as the site will have a couple of tracks. Identifying names now allows us to finalise a signage plan and get signs made up, for when the tracks are ready.

It has been great to learn about Danny Shepard and i'm sure the working group will decide on something fitting.

Construction starts in the next couple of weeks, i will post an update at the end of March.

Regards

Mark

ATK

Cannon Fodder
I vote for "Sheperd's Descent"

I am glad to read all the support for naming the track after Danny. I think it would be very fitting and the case has been well made. Nevertheless for one more time:
1. Danny was a MTB and DH rider and one whom gave back to the sport (including working on the Kinglake track back in the 90's).
2. Danny grew up only a few km away.
3. Danny (and his father) sadly died nearby during the fires
4. Construction of the track is made possible through funding provided to help the area recover from the fires.

So anything in honour of Danny would be great. Personally, I like Sheperd's Descent.

Well done and thanks to all whom have been working on getting this track (or tracks!) built.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of heading up to Kinglake for a ride on Sunday. One last crack for the nostalgia.

Does anyone know if work has started on the actual track yet? I will obviously steer clear if it has.

Thanks. :)