Bowden Spur Kinglake - Shepherds DH trail.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought this may be more appropriate in here instead of the trail building section. I have just updated this thread below in regards to where we are at with the Kinglake project. It's exciting to have all the pieces in place and construction about to start so if you are not sure what I am talking about then you had better have a look at this thread below.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ing-of-a-new-legal-DH-riding-facility./page10

If you live in Melbourne and surrounds and ride DH get excited cause you will have an awesome new track and facility ready to rip within 6 months or so...

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will the existing DH track running along the left of the powerlines be left there as well, or destroyed in place of a new track?

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Wisey, is right on, and yes Sean the new track will be down the left hand side of the road heading downhill and will replace the existing track. Big hands up to the the local guys who have put so much into getting this track formalised and the works that it deserves. Parks Victoria will be working closely with World Trail, IMBA Australia and YYMTBInc to ensure we get a great DH facility in the northern suburbs.

More info will come in Mid to late January.

Regards

Mark

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Ah, excellent news Mr Wise-man. You sir should be showered with gifts from Santa Claus!!!

So am I right to assume that World Trail has designed the track and it's to be built by those hard working trail fairies at YYMTB?

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, excellent news Mr Wise-man. You sir should be showered with gifts from Santa Claus!!!

So am I right to assume that World Trail has designed the track and it's to be built by those hard working trail fairies at YYMTB?
I'm happy to accept any gifts or donations Hux...

That assumption is not correct, World Trail with the help, input and consultation from some others have designed and will build the trail, YYMTBInc will manage the area and any events that they may have going forward.

It's a win win for all concerned...we are all pretty pumped!

Edit - The "ex" YY ranger Mark Urquhart is now the man in charge of seeing this project through to completion and with Marks history and passion for MTB this is a great thing for all concerned.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com

That assumption is not correct, World Trail with the help, input and consultation from some others have designed and will build the trail, YYMTBInc will manage the area and any events that they may have going forward.

Edit - The "ex" YY ranger Mark Urquart is now the man in charge of seeing this project through to completion and with Marks history and passion for MTB this is a great thing for all concerned.
Excellent news for sure!

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Went past today and saw an excavator, then later thought I saw a world trail car.
I nearly turned the car around to follow them back to king lake.
SO EXCITED!

normdouglas

Likes Dirt

Edit - The "ex" YY ranger Mark Urquhart is now the man in charge of seeing this project through to completion and with Marks history and passion for MTB this is a great thing for all concerned.
Do I read correctly that Mark is now working for World Trail?

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
It is really cool hearing updates about this project. It seems a lot of people have worked really hard to make it happen. Good job all, nearly there! :)

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Check out this great article attached about the DH Track in Kinglake - Appeared in February's edition of the 'Mountain Monthly'
Thanks for putting that up KOM.

As I have said in the other thread, the carpark should be completed by the end of this month and World Trail are due to start at the beginning of March and have the track completed by the end of May, ready to be open by the end of June.

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Bowden Spur Track Naming

The Bowden Spur DH track, within the Kinglake National Park is starting to take shape. World trail will commence construction on the site in early March and Parks Victoria is working closely with the You Yangs MTB Inc, in ensuring the track and future developments are suitable for the site and meet the needs of downhill riders and Parks Victoria, this includes signage, event planning, car park & toilet facilities, traffic management and planning for future use.

In order to have the track open to riders when the construction is complete, we are working on the signage for the site now. However the track needs a name. We are open to suggestions, The name/s don’t need to be themed, however we do ask that you consider the sensitivity of the site, given the loss of life and property in the vicinity of the track in the 2009 black Saturday fires. The site has awesome views of Melbourne and the northern suburbs, runs under a HV power easement, will be a tad over 2km with about 230m of vertical drop.

Please post your suggestions here. Suggestions will be open until the end of Feb.

Regards
Mark (You Yangs Ranger)

KOM Kinglake

Cannon Fodder
All great news Mark. As for a name of the track, that's a tough one. Being a resident, I think it should include something with Kinglake or Bowden Spur that will help promote the area and its location as a mountain bike destination

Some practical ones - 'Kinglake Mountain Bike Facility' / 'Murrindindi Mountain Bike Facility' / 'Bowden Spur Downhill Track' / 'Kinglake Downhill'

Some more adventurous - 'The Spur' / 'Kings Canyon' / '230' (for the 230 metre drop) / 'Kings Descent'

Great work with the track everyone, its awesome for the area.

Cheers

weeeeeee

Cannon Fodder
the opposite of KOM - usually awarded to the fastest cyclist UP a hill is KOV (King Of Valley) - awarded to fastest cyclist DOWN the hill.

More names:
- Highland Track
- The Melbourne Downhill (kinda infers that it's going to be the best in Melbourne ;)
- Flowrider
- St Andrews Shortcut
- The Cut (as in "can you make the cut?")