Bargain buys thread

moorey

call me Mia
Late last year before Covid went silly.
Dude then crashed a few months later and cracked chain stay, tried to bully Wozza into pretending it was still his and say it just snapped to get warranty.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Never have I ever snapped a second hand alloy frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never have I ever snapped a new alloy frame:
1->2->3
Never have I ever snapped a used alloy frame:
1->2->3->4
Never Have I ever cracked a carbon frame:
1->2

To be taken with a pinch of salt ;)

goobags

Likes Dirt
Never have I ever snapped a new alloy frame:
1->2->3
Never have I ever snapped a used alloy frame:
1->2->3->4
Never Have I ever cracked a carbon frame:
1->2

To be taken with a pinch of salt ;)
Does salt make them more or less prone to cracking?

I have only cracked alloy but also only ever had one carbon frame. I know more people who have cracked alloy frames than carbon but I know more people with alloy bikes than carbon bikes.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Does salt make them more or less prone to cracking?

I have only cracked alloy but also only ever had one carbon frame. I know more people who have cracked alloy frames than carbon but I know more people with alloy bikes than carbon bikes.

Quenched in brine as it has a higher boiling point than pure water?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Quenched in brine as it has a higher boiling point than pure water?
If you're talking about molten salt quench, I'm fairly certain that's only used for steel. And the different mediums are all about achieving the desired cooling rate (water, oil, molten salt, gas quench, etc). Also pretty sure that our in house Aluminium HT plant just has plain old water in the quench tank.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you're talking about molten salt quench, I'm fairly certain that's only used for steel. And the different mediums are all about achieving the desired cooling rate (water, oil, molten salt, gas quench, etc). Also pretty sure that our in house Aluminium HT plant just has plain old water in the quench tank.
I wasn't serious. Carbon frames are quenched in unicorn blood.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Better not let my 4yo daughter know that you are slaughtering her favorite animal for your carbon tempering needs! You'd be death stared into oblivion.

ausdb

Being who he is
Better not let my 4yo daughter know that you are slaughtering her favorite animal for your carbon tempering needs! You'd be death stared into oblivion.
But tell her not to worry, all of the other leftover bits apart from the blood go into making 26" 1-1/8" straight steerer forks.
Waste not want not.