Are online forums dead?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Yeah just reading through a thread about it now, I had no idea.

Interesting read, looks like he was indeed into some seedy dealings but he can't even recognise he was in the wrong.

I didn't mind chop's yeti thread and his pedantic weigh weenie and ano matching ways, it was so spastic, it is was actually cool.

stirk

Burner
Go join realsurf and ask a legitimate beginners question and see the reception you get.

Whilst I'm new to mountain biking and have a very limited knowledge of bikes and their bits I don't see any questions regarding same going through to the keeper.

I'd only been here a very short time and received assistance I would never have dreamed of.
Exactly this.

RB is unique. The people on here, particularly the big personalities, seem to be the ones who will give you shit and then give you their shirt, should you need it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
At times I do think we talk too much shit in off topic discussions, I feel we don't spend enough time helping new members and getting them up to speed, and we are a little too closed as a group.

what we do well is peer review of equipment and techniques ( and personalities ). If it's a piece of shit, we're going to let everyone know it is.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I think a lot of forums are dieing. RB has quite a large population for an Australian forum (to its credit).

But I do agree with the OP and duck on this topic. People are abandoning conversation for convenience. There seems to be a shift from wanting to "research a topic" to "satisfying an interest" in a topic.

BAWW Facebook page is a classic. Huge population, random topics from people wanting advice.... Read a bit-reply-get on with day. Instant gratification, move on.

I logged into Perth mountain bike club forum tonight... Last post was 2 days ago. On average 1 week since last new topic and its pulling threads from GRN to boost its thread count. The FB page gets hits daily though.

Personally I all but abandoned RB about a year or so ago and only recently returned. As others have said, most genuine topics degenerated quickly. There is a place for scacastic banter and garbage talk and it can be fun. But a while ago it become a slinging match in more cases than not.

It seems to have calmed down a bit recently.
Just my 2c worth.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
what we do well is peer review of equipment and techniques ( and personalities ). If it's a piece of shit, we're going to let everyone know it is.
Wrong. We defend and praise what we use, and bag everything else. Well, I do.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah just reading through a thread about it now, I had no idea.

Interesting read, looks like he was indeed into some seedy dealings but he can't even recognise he was in the wrong.

I didn't mind chop's yeti thread and his pedantic weigh weenie and ano matching ways, it was so spastic, it is was actually cool.
I should remind him to come back, just saw on FB he has a new ride. The weight weenie sb66 is going to become a mini DH rig.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Are people just sick of trolling? Are less people enthusiastic about MTBing and it's now confined to the older has-beens? Is it just my imagination?
Could it be they are doing more riding and less talking?

I think most of the buy/sell has moved to facebook which has dropped the traffic here.

It also seems that lately the MTB related threads on here degenerate quickly into amateur comedy hour, which I think puts people off the forum.[/QUOTE]

Or attracts people to the forum.
Or not, isnt that the point of this thread?

Ivan has a point: While many innocent gumby questions get answered genuinely, far too many get judged stupid (or the OP) and turn into a feeding frenzy for the cool gang. Then its sarcasm, not humor.

Then there is some inconsistency of mod intervention.

Complete opposite to MTBR for example.

You need a thick skin to be on RB much of the time. Hardly encouraging for many newbies (any stats on turnover, new members, average life of a newby on the forum, etc).

Must be the Aussie way.

Exactly this.

RB is unique. The people on here, particularly the big personalities, seem to be the ones who will give you shit and then give you their shirt, should you need it.
Also true.

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
Probably being the newest member in this thread, I nearly didn't comment cos it was going to be to inconvenient on my tablet but, I second guessed my idiocy and I'm here. (Then the page crashed and I lost what I'd written and had to rewrite it)
As someone who's been around forums since before FB I see and enjoy the shit stirring and general chit chat between regular members but I've also seen how that can deter new users from joining in.
It happens everywhere and FB has just got rid of the anonymity behind the keyboard warrior, so those who like to hide online will partake in forums (and also be a dick) then once they're called out will run and hide or go to FB.
It also works the other way with regular users used to each other's banter and being anonymous, outsiders are like WTF is with these rude mofos!!! then pack their bags and leave.
Again I'm in the older group and understand life isn't all about here, now and me me me me like the current crop of kids. Hopefully they'll learn, if they don't, I don't hold much hope for world that's for sure.
Now hand me my walking stick and let's get on with this thing!

Nb. I have garnered so much info about MTB from these pages in the last few months it's been awesome for my bank account. NOT! Haha

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
As others have said, I reckon it's mainly a Facebook thing. Gen Y mostly want it quick and easy, and generally don't have the patience or interest in taking time to develop a relationship or commit to an online community.
The older guys on here are more active than ever, but less new young people are joining, and when they do, they usually want a quick answer to something they could have googled or searched for first.

Rotorburn generally doesn't suffer fools, half of us love that, half, not so much.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I think off topic comedy derailment is a large cause of forum lacktivity.

Last edited:
There can be no denying that different generations use the Internet in different ways

Mountain biking is no different to any other activity, there is rarely one perfect solution to a solution and people passionate about their sport are likely to convey their opinion with the same passion. Add in the keyboard effect and occasionally things get a bit feisty.

Too me it ain't no biggie.

I see noobs to the forum being welcomed all the time. And this is a difference I've noticed between mountain biking and surfing where another surfer is merely deemed a competitor whereas another rider is regarded as an associate, and I think that difference comes across in the various forums I have frequented.

The purists may think something is broke, and I admit I haven't invested in the sport to the degree most have, but I see no issue.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Ivan has a point: While many innocent gumby questions get answered genuinely, far too many get judged stupid (or the OP) and turn into a feeding frenzy for the cool gang. Then its sarcasm, not humor.

Then there is some inconsistency of mod intervention.

Complete opposite to MTBA for example.

You need a thick skin to be on RB much of the time. Hardly encouraging for many newbies (any stats on turnover, new members, average life of a newby on the forum, etc).

Must be the Aussie way.

Yeah there seems to be a dominant handful of users that derail threads with in-jokes and light-hearted slander. I can't say it really bothers me as, but as soon as it starts I just stop reading. It also means that generally, any decent response inline with what the OP had asked, gets lost.