Are online forums dead?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My local MTB forum has virtual tumbleweeds blowing through it. Rotorburn seems less active to me, I have no stats to back this up.
Is everyone just trawling the facebook MTB Buy, Swap & Sell pages? Are people just sick of trolling? Are less people enthusiastic about MTBing and it's now confined to the older has-beens? Is it just my imagination?

John U

MTB Precision
I dunno if I'm alone but I really don't think a lot of facebook. I rate it a bit less than the steam off my piss.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
For sales at least I rekon there is a bit of a shift.

Personally I like the fact that if I buy something, it's actually attached to a person's profile rather than an alias on RB or whatever.

As for discussion topics, I find it fluctuates.

Another thing to note is older forums generally have more restrictions. BNA for example recently introduced a policy of not discussing cycling advocacy bodies and their respective stances (i.e. Bicycle Network (Victoria) and their non support for 1m rule). As these political correctednesss thing take hold, the forums get less lively. RB seems ok though.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
For sales at least I rekon there is a bit of a shift.

Personally I like the fact that if I buy something, it's actually attached to a person's profile rather than an alias on RB or whatever.

As for discussion topics, I find it fluctuates.

Another thing to note is older forums generally have more restrictions. BNA for example recently introduced a policy of not discussing cycling advocacy bodies and their respective stances (i.e. Bicycle Network (Victoria) and their non support for 1m rule). As these political correctednesss thing take hold, the forums get less lively. RB seems ok though.
The amount of muppets that frequent fuckbag MTB sales pages is the main reason I try my best not to participate.
For knowledgeable MTB enthusiasts you cannot go past specialized forums (not the brand,....)

The NSW fuckbook MTB trader is a joke. Spotty teen Dh wannabies trying to sell 10 yo door stops for ridiculous money.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A forum will live or die on its trivia thread...

I may have some issue with typing on here from time to time, so the flame suit is on...but the piss poor level of literacy sweeping <25s and a general inability with self expression may attribute somewhat to a decline in activity in forums. At the same time it is very easy to just push the like or share buttons. Look no further than the plague of ewes across the internet...

stirk

Burner
My local MTB forum has virtual tumbleweeds blowing through it. Rotorburn seems less active to me, I have no stats to back this up.
Is everyone just trawling the facebook MTB Buy, Swap & Sell pages? Are people just sick of trolling? Are less people enthusiastic about MTBing and it's now confined to the older has-beens? Is it just my imagination?
With your post count the last 11 years on RB I'm not surprised your local forum is dying.

That's approximately one post a week, :tsk:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sounds like you guys are a bunch of old grumpy anti fb mob haha.

Sure there are lots of douchebags on the FB buy sell stuff. But sales get made faster than RB imo. As for douchebags they get publically shamed which sort of works itself out. Heck on one of my groups, one dude try to get his pyramid scheme (herbalife) sales act on. It was promptly ripped a new one. I dunno, maybe it's different here in Vic. In my experience:

- Road cycling stuff is sold really cheap - I guess there are a lot of high rollers who always want the latest rim brakes (kekeke)
- MTB pages are less frequent posting. Maybe RB has got this? The stuff is ok but not nearly enough range and not as cheap as RB.
- MTB/BMX pages are the worst. Lots of really young dudes pretty much trying to sell overpriced stuff.
- Track marketplace is probably the best one so far. Maybe it's because track is so niche and the people who buy/sell track bikes are better informed and can't sell their stuff elsewhere because they get compared to $200 reids.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I think most of the buy/sell has moved to facebook which has dropped the traffic here.

It also seems that lately the MTB related threads on here degenerate quickly into amateur comedy hour, which I think puts people off the forum.

stirk

Burner
I think most of the buy/sell has moved to facebook which has dropped the traffic here.

It also seems that lately the MTB related threads on here degenerate quickly into amateur comedy hour, which I think puts people off the forum.[/QUOTE]

Or attracts people to the forum.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The amount of muppets that frequent fuckbag MTB sales pages is the main reason I try my best not to participate.
For knowledgeable MTB enthusiasts you cannot go past specialized forums (not the brand,....)

The NSW fuckbook MTB trader is a joke. Spotty teen Dh wannabies trying to sell 10 yo door stops for ridiculous money.
Need a DJ with triple crowns, cash waiting, $86.45 budget.

Show me what's out there......:tsk:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

It also seems that lately the MTB related threads on here degenerate quickly into amateur comedy hour, which I think puts people off the forum.
...there is also a high incidence of sphincters with too much tension. Some people need a torque feature on their dildo.