Are online forums dead?

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think most of the buy/sell has moved to facebook which has dropped the traffic here.

It also seems that lately the MTB related threads on here degenerate quickly into amateur comedy hour, which I think puts people off the forum.
Agree with both points, most of the shit-talking and comedy normally stayed in off-topic or riding section.

Will add, the more you use a forum, the less you'll feel it's been used by others.

Well there is always whirlpool

Try and wise crack in there and you might get a thread shutdown ( happened to me this arvo)

It makes me feel dirty but I just love some of the tabloid-esque posters over there. Won't someone think of the children !!!!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The amount of muppets that frequent fuckbag MTB sales pages is the main reason I try my best not to participate.
For knowledgeable MTB enthusiasts you cannot go past specialized forums (not the brand,....)

The NSW fuckbook MTB trader is a joke. Spotty teen Dh wannabies trying to sell 10 yo door stops for ridiculous money.
What's my Glory worth? Only ridden it twice, thinking around $3000?

heaps of awesome upgrades - swap for motorbike

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Well there is always whirlpool

Try and wise crack in there and you might get a thread shutdown ( happened to me this arvo)

It makes me feel dirty but I just love some of the tabloid-esque posters over there. Won't someone think of the children !!!!
Nearly as bad as the 161 pseudonyms that greens Hanson brown chick has on there.

If you haven't been banned at whirlpool, you have no soul.

Camp shop ( lol, that's autocorrect , but oh so good) was good for at least 50 posts a day here. And no chops means moorey is down to only 10 a day ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What's my Glory worth? Only ridden it twice, thinking around $3000?

heaps of awesome upgrades - swap for motorbike
A good glory is always worth more in the mornings.I hope its a large?

Is this going degenerate into a discussion on demographics of this forum and all that...ageing population folks?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With your post count the last 11 years on RB I'm not surprised your local forum is dying.

That's approximately one post a week, :tsk:
3/4 of my posts have been in the past year or less. I was previously put off by the arrogant flaming that used to dominate here. Long live amateur comedy hour! The perfect antidote to Whirlpool-esque PC BS.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I am a non Facebook user and sometimes think I am missing out on good sales when I hear of mates who get good deals but I still can't bring myself to joining up on Facebook, it's kinda like I haven't stepped foot into maccas for over 10 yrs now, just don't want to do it, no real reason just stuck in my ways....

I see a lot of baiting,fishing and shit talk that happens in threads these days here and it's the usual suspects so I guess that is what keeps the forum going. Geebus forbid if you ask a question on here and expect the first reply to be a serious one..... I think that yes FB has taken a lot of traffic but in the same breath the long term users on here have stepped back and only use it when they have to......eg selling, own threads started .

Yeah anyway,... I'm tired :rain:

:heh:

stirk

Burner
3/4 of my posts have been in the past year or less. I was previously put off by the arrogant flaming that used to dominate here. Long live amateur comedy hour! The perfect antidote to Whirlpool-esque PC BS.
10 years to grow a set, well I'm glad you're here now. You make this forum more alive.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL. It wasn't about having a set, it was just too much work. I can flame with the best of em, but why bother? Any idiot can flame. It's a bit like driving fast in a straight line, BFD.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Camp shop ( lol, that's autocorrect , but oh so good) was good for at least 50 posts a day here. And no chops means moorey is down to only 10 a day ;)
Banned or chased out? I hadn't noticed, but now that its mentioned...

I know a few people who occasional browse through here, but don't bother posting, too much trolling and dickheads towards new members (from what they have said), also not a whole lot of bike chat been going on lately. I've been spending more time on other bike forums for more indepth discussion about actual bike parts.

rone

Eats Squid
Anyone else appreciate the irony of discussing the decline of online forums on an online forum?

I know a few people who occasional browse through here, but don't bother posting, too much trolling and dickheads towards new members (from what they have said), also not a whole lot of bike chat been going on lately. I've been spending more time on other bike forums for more indepth discussion about actual bike parts.
Go join realsurf and ask a legitimate beginners question and see the reception you get.

Whilst I'm new to mountain biking and have a very limited knowledge of bikes and their bits I don't see any questions regarding same going through to the keeper.

I'd only been here a very short time and received assistance I would never have dreamed of.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The irony is not lost on me.

Farcebook is shit because it's by nature a really cliquey setup, you can't just lob in & discuss shit like you can on forums. The Human-powered Vehicle racing forum that I'm involved in has pretty well died, because most teams now have their Farcebook pages. But if you don't get their posts you're out of the loop, and even if you do still there's no great mixing pot of input from different teams, because everything is so disconnected.

I think the thing forums have really working against them is that the platform is really mobile-unfriendly, and most people have those things glued to their faces insead of sitting at a desktop. People seem to be killing off/abandoning a much better discussion platform because they're too hung up on "convenience".

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Chops wasn't banned, he just had his trading rights revoked because he was busted being a Scumbag. Having lost a major avenue of his Scumbaggery, he cracked the shits & ran away to cry purple ano tears.

Forums can be an intimidating place to join at times while you get a feel for the vibe of the place, especially if you stumble into an impassioned guns-a-blazing Chops vs Moorey discussion. The reception some people get (admittedly a lot of them deserve a good shouting-down) can scare them off for good too.

moorey

call me Mia
Chops wasn't banned, he just had his trading rights revoked because he was busted being a Scumbag. Having lost a major avenue of his Scumbaggery, he cracked the shits & ran away to cry purple ano tears.

Forums can be an intimidating place to join at times while you get a feel for the vibe of the place, especially if you stumble into an impassioned guns-a-blazing Chops vs Moorey discussion. The reception some people get (admittedly a lot of them deserve a good shouting-down) can scare them off for good too.
HEY!!!! Why, if you weren't an established member, I'd tell you a thing or two! :rant: