Anyone have a MyGov account?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I don't, and for this very reason.

If hackers can get into proper companies, with proper IT security, who would be daft enough to think an incompetant colander like the PS would be able to keep you safe.

That the MyGov account links so much of your info into one tasty grab, makes it a big NOPE from me.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Unfortunately yes. In order to submit child care subsidies, OSCH entitlements and wife’s maternity leave we had to have a my gov and link in the relevant services. I opted out of the My health record for this reason but forced with the other.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
It's totally fucked. And what's worse is that the onus seems to be on the victim to monitor everything for suspicious activity.
Which is inherently flawed because it assumes people know what to look for.

@shiny same here for me. I had to open a myGov account but opted out of my health.

shiny

It's totally fucked. And what's worse is that the onus seems to be on the victim to monitor everything for suspicious activity.
Which is inherently flawed because it assumes people know what to look for.

@shiny same here for me. I had to open a myGov account but opted out of my health.
Already had data leaks through Medibank and Optus. Keeping a close eye on our finances and have notified the bank who supposedly have flagged our account and to watch for any unusual activity.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Already had data leaks through Medibank and Optus. Keeping a close eye on our finances and have notified the bank who supposedly have flagged our account and to watch for any unusual activity.
It's frustrating, isn't it? I've had my data taken in a breach of an ex-employer's system.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Which is inherently flawed because it assumes people know what to look for
True, and I'd bet most likely the bank or government institutions don't know either nor have the resources to do it.

Here, have my problem, I don't want it :)

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
that's the problem with going online IOT, everything is much easier to hack n exploit.

it's an american thing i believe but there's even companies that can take your mobile number and connect any and all accounts you have your number connected to.

privacy truly is dead and don't get me started on those fucking dumb ass smart tvs, holy shit.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
that's the problem with going online IOT, everything is much easier to hack n exploit.

it's an american thing i believe but there's even companies that can take your mobile number and connect any and all accounts you have your number connected to.

privacy truly is dead and don't get me started on those fucking dumb ass smart tvs, holy shit.
Any smart devices controlling your home, is a truly un-smart idea. Smart door locks? No thanks.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who is keen for a Digital ID linked to you bank account, smart meter for home electricity, electric vehicle, and everything else?
We already have governments across the world shutting down bank accounts restricting movements under the constant state of emergencies. Imagine what hackers could do with increased government power in the wrong hands.
You will be happier they tell us.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It sucks how much stuff they automatically link to a MyGov account. I am denied all sorts of things because of my refusal to get one. Just sends me further off into the undergrowth of obscurity.
Other than the RB and an obscure email account from the 90s I had no online presence until a few years ago when I decided to get an Instagram account. So many of my friends across that time couldn't understand why I didn't want to put all my personal information online...I was considered a conspiracy nutter. I wasn't, I just didn't want my details everywhere because of risks like this. I even did my tax return on paper until I was left with absolutely no alternative.

And didn't covid crush all of that! So many things I needed access to and was unable to do without my.gov or the state gov alternative.

shiny

Any smart devices controlling your home, is a truly un-smart idea. Smart door locks? No thanks.
Looks nervously at smart speaker. Running Apple based so better but not perfect. News a while ago that any Nest employee could view recordings from your door bell camera. Well aware of the pitfalls of a smart home but I love tech and would like to have a few more smart devices. Trying to find some that run on local network and don’t talk to the cloud. I guess our phones are tracking us too. Time to go get my tin foil hat.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Looks nervously at smart speaker. Running Apple based so better but not perfect. News a while ago that any Nest employee could view recordings from your door bell camera. Well aware of the pitfalls of a smart home but I love tech and would like to have a few more smart devices. Trying to find some that run on local network and don’t talk to the cloud. I guess our phones are tracking us too. Time to go get my tin foil hat.
Phones definitely track you, even easier if it's linked to a Google account.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-24/theo-hayez-inquest-hears-phone-trace-evidence/100858756

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I don't, and for this very reason.

If hackers can get into proper companies, with proper IT security, who would be daft enough to think an incompetant colander like the PS would be able to keep you safe.

That the MyGov account links so much of your info into one tasty grab, makes it a big NOPE from me.

I do...as does every other NSW and probably Federal government employee. It's how they get their group certificate each year...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Unfortunately yes. In order to submit child care subsidies, OSCH entitlements and wife’s maternity leave we had to have a my gov and link in the relevant services. I opted out of the My health record for this reason but forced with the other.
A lot of stuff for seniors is like that too.

I think the local sports clubs required documentation of Covid jabs months ago, and I had to log into government sites with personal details.