Any Zwifters out there?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the Kickr Core has inbuilt speed and cadence sensor.
Yes I believe all the wheel off smart trainers have, then they send the power, controller and cadence to the computer/Zwift via either Bluetooth or ANT+.

I use Bluetooth for the above 3 parameters and run my 2010 Garmin HR strap off ANT+.

Just about to get a new Network Adaptor which has Bluetooth 5.0, so that's an upgrade from the 4.0 dongle.

Fckn infuriating when shit is not working right... I'm surprised @rockmoose didn't lay in to his with a hammer when he was having daily drop outs.

After my $47 SSD upgrade today, my computer is on the home page in 10-15 seconds, then click on Zwift and its up in about a further 20 seconds :)

This used to take 5-10 minutes.

ozzybmx

Nice one.
Might just be easiest to buy a Bluetooth HRM for the trainer.
The wahoo TICKR :) runs on either Bluetooth or ANT+.

Same as the Garmin Duals.

Work out the best way forward, if you have a few people using it with their own HRM's all old Garmin ANT+, go with an ANT+ dongle.

If its just you, probably easier just to get a new Bluetooth strap at ~$90.

ozzybmx

Yep. That's why a couple of hundred bucks for quick, easy and efficient was a no brainer for me. I would have ended up spending far more trying to get a laptop to play nice, and it would still be an inferior product.
100% agree, when you want to ride, its nice to press a button, get your gear off/on and go.

This waiting and fekking around was giving me the shits, same as the drop outs you were having.

Looks like I have fixed the computer I though was good enough now but if it was any more than an easy fix, I would have gone the Apple TV route.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Gah, wasn't banking on another 250 bucks to make it all play nice.

Also wasn't planning on racing anyone straight off the bat. Any idea if an older tablet will cope just for training programs? Or even just my phone?

ozzybmx

Also wasn't planning on racing anyone straight off the bat. Any idea if an older tablet will cope just for training programs? Or even just my phone?
Might do @Cardy George it's a bit random as to what works and what struggles.

I ran mine initially off a $329 Lenovo laptop computer that I bought for TAFE in 2020. It had no guts at all, only meant for running MS Office.

Most things will get you away initially, then you can refine your setup later.

Did you and @creaky get the 15% off Pushys code last night ?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

As @ozzybmx says, give it a try, it really is luck of the draw.

That being said, the program is getting bulkier each month, as updates add more and more good stuffs.

Can guarantee, in time a big rig will be required to run a very complex game. Their isn't a small person's gaming computer you can steal?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Fwiw - I'm using an old laptop I bought used for $200 some 6 years ago, with a modest 120gb SSD upgrade and a decent ant+ dongle. I'm up and zwifting in a couple of minutes (longer if the kids are playing games and destroying my internet's), and rarely have a dropout. I think since ridding myself of the old dumb trainer and it's battery issues, I've had 2 drops and they've both resolved themselves in a matter of seconds. Frustrating if you're climbing a hill in a race, but not the end of the world.

Personally I prefer ant+ because it needs no synchronisation, and I found it far less prone to drops with both my watch and my dumb trainer and with another laptop I used for a bit.

Ant+ is trickier with phones and tablets, because most won't have it inbuilt and some might not support a dongle.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

Where are you @Cardy George ?

I have a pile of laptops here from upgrades that I havn't bothered selling because I figure they're worth bugger all

Cardy George

Did you and @creaky get the 15% off Pushys code last night ?
In yet another episode of Dad Comes Last, the Man Child dropped his school laptop and destroyed it, so frustratingly no. I found the same trainer elsewhere for about the same discounted price, hopefully it's still available in a week or so.

Can guarantee, in time a big rig will be required to run a very complex game. Their isn't a small person's gaming computer you can steal?
We have an old PC we've pretty much stopped using, but there is zero connectivity. I know there's a wifi dongle hanging off it so I can hotspot off my phone but it'll need dongles for everything else.

Where are you @Cardy George ?

I have a pile of laptops here from upgrades that I havn't bothered selling because I figure they're worth bugger all

Mildura, but we'll talk. Give me a month or so to sort my shit out. Everything was lined up until Man Child destroyed his laptop.

ozzybmx

We have an old PC we've pretty much stopped using, but there is zero connectivity. I know there's a wifi dongle hanging off it so I can hotspot off my phone but it'll need dongles for everything else.
Going to grab one of these this morning.

WiFi adaptor with Bluetooth 5.0.

That would kill a couple of birds for you.

In my house people suck down the WiFi without thinking, Netflix TVs, phones, laptops and PS4/5. Soooo I let them go to town on the 2.4ghz WiFi band and keep the 5ghz for my personal use :p:D:)

Currently the network adaptor on the zwift computer is single band 2.4ghz, need a dual band as linked to introduce the Zwify into my personal bandwidth.

My other buy from yesterday was a $47 SSD, that will get the 10yr old computer that I bought second hand up to speed with Zwift and get my access speed up.

I posted this on the computer thread I revived a few days ago, got some good ideas from the blokes over there.

Cardy George

Going to grab one of these this morning.

WiFi adaptor with Bluetooth 5.0.

That would kill a couple of birds for you.

In my house people suck down the WiFi without thinking, Netflix TVs, phones, laptops and PS4/5. Soooo I let them go to town on the 2.4ghz WiFi band and keep the 5ghz for my personal use :p:D:)

Currently the network adaptor on the zwift computer is single band 2.4ghz, need a dual band as linked to introduce the Zwify into my personal bandwidth.

My other buy from yesterday was a $47 SSD, that will get the 10yr old computer that I bought second hand up to speed with Zwift and get my access speed up.

I posted this on the computer thread I revived a few days ago, got some good ideas from the blokes over there.

Other than an extremely low tolerance to other people's bullshit, this is probably my biggest weakness in my knowledge base. I know exactly what you're talking about, I understand what it all does and how it links in, but I have no experience and little clue on doing the hardware element of computers.

ozzybmx

Other than an extremely low tolerance to other people's bullshit, this is probably my biggest weakness in my knowledge base. I know exactly what you're talking about, I understand what it all does and how it links in, but I have no experience and little clue on doing the hardware element of computers.
I'm not great myself, all learned from YouTube and websites.

You can be 100% sure about one thing when dealing with computers... hundreds/thousands/squillions of other people have had the exact same problem and have posted about it on the interwebz many times over the years. You just have to wade through the shit to get the info :)

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx did the Yoinker need a different user name for each email address?
No, same name, used up all his emails, all his mums and 1 shitter of mine.

Each time he/we got to about level 7-8 and had to ditch it.

One hint I have for multiple emails - Keep a record of the email used, when used, what level and what settings you have changed.

The one I used was set on a mission called the Tour of California or something like that, I was riding up hills hoping to climb Everest and get the free bike on the wrong mission.

Remember to put (RBZ) after your name so we can find you.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Ordered a Kickr Core today and their Tickr HRM - thanks for the code Pushys !

Swapped the 1x10 zee drivetrain on my Inbred for an XTR 9spd triple setup with a 48T big dog. The xtr was on that frame when it was on commuter duties so it was nice not having to touch RD or FD limits!

Took a photo of it this arvo and after all the mech work thought fark will the horizontal dropouts cause any mounting issues!?!?! Shouldn’t be a problem I expect.

cammas

Seamstress

I use an apple box to run mine but I have also ran it off my iphone and the iPad, the only problem is it chews the battery pretty quickly so just make sure it’s fully charged or have it on charge.