Any Zwifters out there?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
If I was to very begrudgingly concede I don't have enough hours in my life to train AND be a useful family member AND sustain human life, where would I find a budget or even a second hand smart trainer?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
So @rockmoose can start a rotorburn club on zwift with his elite level status... But he hasn't.
Wasn't it @FatMuz who gave us all the clubhouse membership with RBZ on our zwift handles? I have it on mine.

We will organize some group rides. I just need to get my techno shit sorted, or more so get my lad to set up my discord.

Here's a couple of interesting links.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If I was to very begrudgingly concede I don't have enough hours in my life to train AND be a useful family member AND sustain human life, where would I find a budget or even a second hand smart trainer?
Convince the missus its for the good of the kids, under 16's get a free Zwift account with a paying adult.

Scumtree or Marketplace is probably the best place to look.

Zee Germans for a new one at secondhand prices though warranty may be painful.

For piece of mind, Pushys on a 15% off sale.

Cardy George

Convince the missus its for the good of the kids, under 16's get a free Zwift account with a paying adult.
That's a very good point. She wants the Ex-VC on a plan for Melrose and the like.

The budget part is due to funds being a bit short, otherwise there would've been a Saris on it's way already.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I’m thinking Kickr core, for the same price as the Saris H3 or Tacx. Is this a bad choice?

Reckon I can get pushys to 15% off for me without waiting to EOM?

ozzybmx

I’m thinking Kickr core, for the same price as the Saris H3 or Tacx. Is this a bad choice?

The Kickr Core and Tacx Flux 2 are usually grouped as mid-range trainers due to the below stats. The Saris is around the same price but ranked up with the top end versions from Wahoo and Tacx.

The Tacx Neo, Wahoo kickr and Saris H3 are usually grouped as top end due to the flywheel feel, max power, max gradient and noise level but the Saris is $500 cheaper.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

The kickr core is good, a mate recently tested his versus his power meter and the outputs were spot on. They can be found fairly cheap as people upgrade to the fancier newer ones that move and stuff when you ride.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The Kickr Core and Tacx Flux 2 are usually grouped as mid-range trainers due to the below stats. The Saris is around the same price but ranked up with the top end versions from Wahoo and Tacx.
Looks like 1800W vs 2000W and 16% vs 20% gradient, which probably isn't a huge deal on paper. I guess from an ease of use/setup, reliability and support perspective are there any standouts at that $1300 (undiscounted) price?

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
I got a 2nd hand (nearly new) kickr v5 for $1200, was pretty easy to connect everything. Saw another one on gumtree for $1150 a couple of days ago. Apparently the kickr core aren't that far away from the v5 going by the youtube reviews.

ozzybmx

Looks like 1800W vs 2000W and 16% vs 20% gradient, which probably isn't a huge deal on paper. I guess from an ease of use/setup, reliability and support perspective are there any standouts at that $1300 (undiscounted) price?
From memory the max gradient in Zwift is around 16% anyway... then there's this :oops: => https://zwiftinsider.com/using-the-trainer-difficulty-setting-in-zwift/

Which throws another curve ball to whether you even need 16% simulation.

By default everyone is set at 50% difficulty from the start, I have tried a few notches up and down. All it does is make the resistance change faster and have you grabbing for gears more often, it doesn't make it any easier, you still need the same watts to climb a hill.

The only other trainer I tried was a V1 Kickr, the rest of my opinions came from YouTube and reading stuff.

I have no actual experience of the others but the thing that got me over the line on the Saris was apparently the big (heavy) flywheel makes it feel more natural and closer to the real thing than ones with smaller flywheels.

She's a heavy unit, more suited to a semi-permanent setup than being moved around.

cammas

Seamstress
I have the kickr core and find its great, having never used anything else I don’t know what I’m missing which is fine by me and as @ozzybmx stated, the flywheel isn’t as heavy as the normal kickr but from memory it’s the same V3 or 4.

I got mine during Covid but now it’s for rainy days or after long days at work and I can’t get out which it's perfect for or if I get motivated again before work sessions when working from home.

ozzybmx

You can drop some wattbombs and score the one-point-twenty-one-jiga-watts badge.

ozzybmx

I hope you're using 100% ?????
Does it actually make it easier, or just different i.e. you're in a higher gear but going the same 'virtual speed' on screen based upon your power output?
It makes it more consistent, not easier as in effort, but easier as in its something that you dont have to worry about. If you were riding up a hill, rather than it sending 5%, 7%, 8%, 7%, 5% etc with every small change in gradient, its stays more consistent and averages it out so you use the same amount of watts.

I haver read for flat races that some good riders run it down at 30%.

Have a try at different levels from 0 - 100%, you can change it mid ride and see how it feels.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I've been trying erg mode on my workouts, to see what all the fuss was about. Was having a difficult time, spinning my guts out, but then decided to do a bit of reading.

Target the required cadence, ignoring the power output, and it works a treat. Took me a bit of getting used to, as I'm a spinner rather than a grinder.

I now certainly understand the spiral of death that @ozzybmx was talking about, and can easily see it becoming an issue for those that prefer grindr.

Cardy George

What are the training programs like? I've been listening to the TrainerRoad podcast and want to use their system, but I also want Ex-VC to use the trainer and not disrupt my progress, all without paying for two accounts, because I doubt he's going to use it for more than a month.

There's rumours of a Zwift-TR merger, so it may be irrelevant.

ozzybmx

What are the training programs like? I've been listening to the TrainerRoad podcast and want to use their system, but I also want Ex-VC to use the trainer and not disrupt my progress, all without paying for two accounts, because I doubt he's going to use it for more than a month.

There's rumours of a Zwift-TR merger, so it may be irrelevant.
Borrow a trainer off someone and sign up for a 7 day free trial.

The Yoinker used up 7 email addresses on our ~6 weeks that we had a lend of the Kickr.