Any Zwifters out there?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
What are the training programs like? I've been listening to the TrainerRoad podcast and want to use their system, but I also want Ex-VC to use the trainer and not disrupt my progress, all without paying for two accounts, because I doubt he's going to use it for more than a month.

There's rumours of a Zwift-TR merger, so it may be irrelevant.
I think TrainerRoad workouts are better for a full on serious athlete, but that's based on hearsay. I have never used it. The immersive environment of zwift makes it a more enjoyable experience in my view. I also think it comes down to picking the right plan or workout strategy. There are some pretty crap workouts on zwift, that are not worth the mb they're not printed on. A quick Hambo will steer you away from this junk, and send you forth with a better idea of planning your way.

I like the 4 week ftp builder. Also try The Gorby, McCarthy Special, and Wringer, if you're a masochist. Mat Hayman's Paris-roubaix might also be right up your alley.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
How does it cope with weeks off? Do you just follow along from one workout to the next?

The scenario I'm faced with is caused by working week on week off, so I'm going to be going hard one week, and commuting the next.

Trainerroad has AI progression but I don't know if it'll cope with that schedule.

rockmoose

How does it cope with weeks off? Do you just follow along from one workout to the next?

The scenario I'm faced with is caused by working week on week off, so I'm going to be going hard one week, and commuting the next.

Trainerroad has AI progression but I don't know if it'll cope with that schedule.
I'm doing the 4wk ftp for the second time. First time I stopped just before the end, because the zwift academy started, so I just rolled into that.

Day four of each week is a zone 2 cruise, but the plan also says to take a Z2 day anytime you feel like it.

I have some brutally physical weeks, and some cruisy weeks at work. We're not like pro athletes, we have far too many other responsibilities going on to get too caught up in it.

But I can say, overall it has made me fitter and stronger on the bike. It just comes down to how buggered I am from real life, when I actually get the opportunity to go out for a real ride.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Wow, didn't realise you were so ripped. Plus your frame is too small.
The virtual world of Zwift, it doesn't discriminate if you are a fat chunt.

Its actually quite flattering, it just adds muscles to show you are a heavy unit.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
OK, so I think I'm going to get a Wahoo Kickr Core.

I'm intending to run it on my Inbred with XTR 9 speed with a triple running a 48T big ring, which is the setup I used on my Kurt Kinetic. I assume this will be tall enough gearing.

The 'details' all seem so farkin complicated ....

1. I would (obviously) prefer to run it with devices I already have e.g. the kid's ipad (3 years old) or my Surface Pro but I can't work out from the zwift website if these will work. The surface pro is a high spec but has a built in graphics card so not sure about comparing to their minimum requirements. The only Ipads mentioned on their website are the Pro and Air versions, which mine ain't. Any idea if my standard ipad or surface pro will work, or will I be buying another apple tv and stealing a monitor from work?

2. My HRM, speed and cadence sensors are all Garmin brand which, I understand, means they are ANT+ not Bluetooth. Thus, I believe I've got to either buy a USB dongle (which wouldn't with Apple TV or iPad I assume) or buy another HRM with bluetooth and not worry about speed and cadence as the Wahoo doesn't need them (I think).

Thanks for any advice.

rockmoose

All my garmin sensors are bluetooth. Are you sure yours aren't?

As I have stated earlier in the thread, I started with a tablet, which was modern and high spec, more than adequate according to zwift. Really, it wasn't.

Zwift try to be inclusive, to allow all comers to get onboard, but reality shows that the program has a hell of a lot going on, integrating many thousands of people into your game. Most systems aren't designed to handle this, especially when also running multiple external sensors.

This becomes more apparent as system updates add in more fun goodies for the poor old atari to try to navigate.

Everything is Photogenic, is a good YouTube channel for zwift. She regularly howls about zwift not coming clean and admitting you need either a high spec PC, or an apple tv.

The ease and simplicity of the apple tv was the best decision I made. Runs zwift like a dream. All my sensors bluetooth, no need for dongles. Oodles of power for future expansion. Get on it.

Your 3x will be fine.

rockmoose

Pretty sure they aren’t. I think the newer Garmin stuff can come in dual band. Mine circa 2015 as they came with an Edge 520.
Right you are. Then it looks like much handwringing and angst are in store for you. @ozzybmx gave me one of his ant+ dongles, as I was trying to sort some of my early issues. I couldn't get it happening on my tablet or laptop. I must make it very clear though, that I am a total numpty with a side serving of muppet.