All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

PJO

in me vL comy
Just drill and tap new threads and cut off the excess!
Already did this many years ago for my first son with a set of Truvativ Stylo cranks (170->145mm). Still have them and worked fine as a 2x setup (they're on the 24" that my youngest just grew out of) but can't get small enough 104BCD chainrings to make a 1x option viable without a large cassette. Large cassette and small wheels are not a good combo for preserving derailleurs.

Other trouble is finding cranks where the arms aren't hollowed out in some way.

Also looked for narrow wide 64BCD chainrings but they are uncommon and/or expensive, Woolftooth make one and I think there was/is one on Aliex. Chain line is shifted towards BB so the higher gears don't run as well. Woolftooth one looked ok and was dished to make a reasonable chain line but the Aliex one doesn't look like it is...

Just make sure to pick one pedal and cross thread it!
:D haven't done it yet, but there is still time!

takai

Eats Squid
Built up & looking pretty, yet to see if they remain that way after hitting some rock gardens...

Laced to older style 350 hubs (with 54t ratchet) with Pillar TB2018 triple-butted spokes & brass nipples. Spoke threads treated with Wheel Fanatyk Fix so should stay nice and true + be easy to work on if needed. Fairly even tension all around to ~120kgf on the tighter side.

Not light for a carbon wheelset, comes to around 2020g total without valves/tape.

View attachment 397444
Very pretty

When you ordered them do they come in pairs, or is it one rim per listing?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very pretty

When you ordered them do they come in pairs, or is it one rim per listing?
One per listing, the $300 is for one rim.

Also just as a ride update, gave them a proper thrashing at the Tippogoree Trails at Georgetown over the weekend - both still in once piece and dead straight and true. Very stiff, but that was the intention as they're on a long travel ebike.

Vid from one of the trails, wasn't the roughest trail of the day, but still a good workout.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice !

Are they going to join the 2 networks together ?
I don't believe they plan to, though would be cool. From what i've heard the Mt George trails are somewhat deserted nowadays with everyone riding Tippogoree, I suppose it's just the "new" factor to a certain extent. There's more trails to come yet for Tipp too - including some longer loops iirc.

Georgetown is well on track to being more of a favorite for me than Derby, which is saying a lot.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I don't believe they plan to, though would be cool.

Georgetown is well on track to being more of a favorite for me than Derby, which is saying a lot.
Looks like about 3km between them over the Bridport Rd ?
Would make a decent loop ride.

There's always the new factor then it will get well used and people will head back to using the other network again.

Dunno about the Derby call... I would ride Trouty every day of the week if I could.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I don't believe they plan to, though would be cool. From what i've heard the Mt George trails are somewhat deserted nowadays with everyone riding Tippogoree, I suppose it's just the "new" factor to a certain extent. There's more trails to come yet for Tipp too - including some longer loops iirc.

Emm How does it compare to Juggernaught. Mt George Trails were great if you liked jumping. Pretty short runs though.

You would have to cross a pretty busy 100kmh road to join the two can't see that happening unless they built a big air jump across the road.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You would have to cross a pretty busy 100kmh road to join the two can't see that happening unless they built a big air jump across the road.
Maybe they could fit a kiddies play park fence or one of those tortuous path routes like at railway crossings... bloody stupid MTBers, driving to the trailhead at 100kph in their cars then get on their bikes and unable to cross the road ;)

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Emm How does it compare to Juggernaught. Mt George Trails were great if you liked jumping. Pretty short runs though.

No idea sorry - never done Juggernaut, though I probably should. Tippogoree has slightly longer trails that have more elevation, (1-3min runs approx), with a bit of an increase in difficulty on the harder trails (Devil's Elbow, Black Swan, Jabba), with much more of a focus on technical features. I have a few more vids of the more popular Tipp trails if you wanted to have a look: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-R-OB3tnK3y8i9E9rQ5hsTCSc0BLN7dL

There's not that many actual jumps (so far), except for a few smaller ones on Roulette and Flow Head for beginners to practice, and some bigger side hits on a few of the trails also. From what I could see riding up & around the new trails that just opened last weekend, there are some bigger/faster tracks yet to come, I expect some of those to be more "jump trail" style.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
No idea sorry - never done Juggernaut, though I probably should. Tippogoree has slightly longer trails that have more elevation, (1-3min runs approx), with a bit of an increase in difficulty on the harder trails (Devil's Elbow, Black Swan, Jabba), with much more of a focus on technical features. I have a few more vids of the more popular Tipp trails if you wanted to have a look: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-R-OB3tnK3y8i9E9rQ5hsTCSc0BLN7dL

There's not that many actual jumps (so far), except for a few smaller ones on Roulette and Flow Head for beginners to practice, and some bigger side hits on a few of the trails also. From what I could see riding up & around the new trails that just opened last weekend, there are some bigger/faster tracks yet to come, I expect some of those to be more "jump trail" style.
If you have an E-MTB you should do Juggernaut. The 10 km climb won't fase you.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Well, not quite Ali, but rolling the dice here I reckon. Bearings in one of the rear wheels getting rather loose, it's the basic Formula hub on and Enduro, so not keen to spend too much on it.

$9 for 4x 6903-2RS and delivered tomorrow, so can't complain and I'm guessing XiKe is just another chinese bearing company.

Let's see how long they last under my other half's punishing schedule of lots of riding and less maintenance!

bigdamo

Likes Dirt

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
How are others going with the Ali ez bleed kit? I am ready to throw it against a wall.

Tried to bleed rear brake on weekend (had about 8 tries) and ok pushing fluid from one syringe to the next but when I flick the lever to remove bubbles it weeps fluid out of the caliper syringe. Gave up and paid the LBS to bleed. Felt better when they said it wasn’t easy and required much fluid to pushed through.

The kit has a universal barb you install and then screw in the correct adaptor. Looks like it is leaking here. Done it up with many ugga duggas but still weeps. Before I shop for another kit just seeing if others have had issues.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
How are others going with the Ali ez bleed kit? I am ready to throw it against a wall.

Tried to bleed rear brake on weekend (had about 8 tries) and ok pushing fluid from one syringe to the next but when I flick the lever to remove bubbles it weeps fluid out of the caliper syringe. Gave up and paid the LBS to bleed. Felt better when they said it wasn’t easy and required much fluid to pushed through.

The kit has a universal barb you install and then screw in the correct adaptor. Looks like it is leaking here. Done it up with many ugga duggas but still weeps. Before I shop for another kit just seeing if others have had issues.
Mine has been ok. Maybe trim the hose a tiny bit and reinsert the barb if it is leaking around there. A bit of freshly unstretched hose plugged into the barb might help?

My main worry with a brake bleed is if the syringe plunger thingy pops off at the wrong time.