29er wheels

Delmar

Likes Dirt
I believe red racer has been using the 26er version for some time. He goes ok.
Now on 29er version as well, on a hardtail. We talked about em on the weekend. I have them on an anthem 29 and although it's early days I do wonder about longevity. I guess theyre bedding in but they do a bit of creaking on climbs under load. Belting off the little drops at full pelt on the last descent at dargle the thought did flash through my mind that 'these are very light rims, better keep it neat in the air in case I land off line'. But Jason said he was really happy with his in terms of how solid they felt. As you said, he goes ok/pretty hard! *Probably* much better than me at picking lines!

Edit: Come to think of it the other worthwhile opinion I came across was from John Hardwick (ed of MBA). Ran into him on Kiera, man that guy knows his stuff... Anyway he did express reservations about alloy rims at that weight being durable, was keen to see how they stack up after some more use. He certainly has some experience... didn't fill me with confidence!! :)

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Durability isn't too much of a concern, they are race wheels after all. I'd be happy with 2 seasons out of them.

The elephant in the corner though is that they aren't compatible with XX1 yet and I think this build may be in need of some XX1.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
WTB Wheelsets

Guys,

I can get a new bike with DT 350 hubs and either WTB Frequency i19 or i23 rims (inner width 19mm vs 23mm). I calculate them to be about 1750 grams vs 1950 grams.

I would prefer to have a 21mm plus inner rim width so not super keen on the i19 wheelset. The i23 is getting a bit hefty for my liking.

Currently running a set of American Classics on my single speed and they are heaps lighter, around 1600 grams from memory. I have thrashed these for a couple of years and they have performed well, only downside is the freehub engagement is a bit slow on these hubs.

Has anyone had any experience with the WTB Frequency i19 or i23 rims ?

To save a bit of weight I'm considering:

• Getting some Stans Arch EX rims and getting them rebuilt onto the 350 hubs (ERDs are within 2mm from specs)
  • Selling the stock wheelset and buying some American Classics (lighter and wide rims - should be around $700)
  • Looking into a Stan's Arch wheelset from Chain Reaction built onto either Pro II or DT 240s - should be around $750

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

RoyAL

Squid
I have a set of Frequency i19 rims on DT swiss 340 hubs, very nice, solid & reliable. a friend saved another 150 - 200g per wheel and went for Stans Crest rims & better spokes. Must say you can feel the difference in the weight. WTB's are still pretty darn good though. I have them on a Highball Carbon - NICE!!!!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Thanks,

I ended up ordering the bike (tallboy) with the optional i23 rims. Will be heavy beasts compared to the American Classics on my hardtail but I will see how they go. Nice, stiff rim from all reports.

Still contemplating whether to swap out the rims for Arch EX to save around 200g or if I should eventually get a second set of lighter wheels. Problem then is, to make it efficient to swap between the two sets, you need to buy a second cassette and rotors.

samj116

Squid
Wheels for a Clydesdale

Hi Guys, i am a Clydesdale (105kg with no gear) on a Anthem x29er and have just destroyed my second set of stock rims so tossing up whether to go for a decent wheelset or maybe upgrade my bike to a new "trail" 29er. I ride my bike everyday to work and trail ride on Sydney's northern beaches at the weekend. Any suggestions around the $650 mark much appreciated .
Cheers

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hi Guys, i am a Clydesdale (105kg with no gear) on a Anthem x29er and have just destroyed my second set of stock rims so tossing up whether to go for a decent wheelset or maybe upgrade my bike to a new "trail" 29er. I ride my bike everyday to work and trail ride on Sydney's northern beaches at the weekend. Any suggestions around the $650 mark much appreciated .
Cheers
Maybe a Stan's Flow wheelset.

Alternatively, get some tough rims (e.g. Flows) built onto your existing hubs. Hand built (well) should be stronger than the stock wheelset.

If you are getting dings/damage you might want to check if are you running reasonable pressures ?

samj116

Squid
Thanks Creaky, i've been experimenting with pressures but settled on 32 front and 36 rear. Back rim was relaced with brass nipples but now is damaged to the point where it can no longer be trued. Will have a look around for some Flow rims. Any suggestions on who to build them around Sydney CBD?
Thanks

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm from Brissie and havent dealt with them myself but TWE seem to get rave reviews. I believe they they will build up a wheel from your existing hubs if you want.

They will also be able to recommend a good build spec for your riding style, weight etc.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks Creaky, i've been experimenting with pressures but settled on 32 front and 36 rear. Back rim was relaced with brass nipples but now is damaged to the point where it can no longer be trued. Will have a look around for some Flow rims. Any suggestions on who to build them around Sydney CBD?
Thanks
I am your weight and there aint a chance in hell I could ride with only 32 front and 36 rear. Sorry buddy but big blokes need more air especially if they are getting some (air). Flows are cool and there are other offerings out there but the build is the key. I have had many wheels built and two identical wheelsets can vary greatly in strength. I have had a beautifully built Arch out last two Flows and a DT Swiss 7.1 last for 5 years. For $650 I would suggest Hopes on Flows or Blunts and through axles are our friends (front and rear)

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I just put a set of single speed American Classics on my Karate Monkey. I now have AMs on 2 bikes.
They held up really well around the Bendigo enduro track and the Castlemaine course on a fully rigid steel framed bike, and i weigh in on the wrong side of 100kgs. I`ve had them on the other bike for over a year and never had to do anything to them. I check the spoke tension regularly but they just keep spinning true.
1600gs (claimed, mine are around 1625g) and under $700 with a bit of looking.
Can`t ask for much more than that.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
MH

samj116

Squid
Thanks guys, i'll give TWE a call and check them out....and run my pressures a bit higher! In the meantime, i see CRC are now a offering a Flow/hope build in a 29er for reasonable coin.
Cheers

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks guys, i'll give TWE a call and check them out....and run my pressures a bit higher! In the meantime, i see CRC are now a offering a Flow/hope build in a 29er for reasonable coin.
Cheers
go for them - perfect

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Cheers
I'd use the stock hubs especially if you have the DT Swiss rear hub as the basis for a stronger build. The stock Giant 29er rims (PXC-2?) are made of North Korean Cola cans and donkey spit which is then assembled by a bunch of drumming monkeys...using floor sweepings. Joins move, nipples crack, spokes sprong, spirit sags. Hubs are fine but the rest is just a bit too average...

By comparison, the Crank Bros Cobalt's have been a dream...

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for anyone interested, here's some pictures of my wheel build. ended up being 1750 grams.

--
Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs - QR 32h Black
Rims: NoTubes ZTR Crest Rim 32h Black
Spokes: DT Swiss - Workshop Only Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.8mm
Nipples: DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock Black Set Per Single Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

FrontRear29er_HopeStansCrest_1750grams.jpg
Rear29HopeStansCrest.jpg

[OutCast]

Likes Bikes
I gave in to temptation today ...

light-bicycle ... 29er wide carbon rims
Chris king hubs

Overall the reports on mtbr are positive.

I'll post pics once build etc ... It's going to be a few weeks.

wintortree

Likes Dirt
[OutCast];2573659 said:
I gave in to temptation today ...

light-bicycle ... 29er wide carbon rims
Chris king hubs

Overall the reports on mtbr are positive.

I'll post pics once build etc ... It's going to be a few weeks.
Good choice. I've got a set on my bandit 29. They are really strong and super light. Only think I didn't like is they came with flat spokes so I swapped them out for dt Swiss (only the rear) and really stoked on them.

I'm 95kgs and heavy on wheels and these just seem to take the abuse. Very pleased.

[OutCast]

Likes Bikes
Good choice. I've got a set on my bandit 29. They are really strong and super light. Only think I didn't like is they came with flat spokes so I swapped them out for dt Swiss (only the rear) and really stoked on them.

I'm 95kgs and heavy on wheels and these just seem to take the abuse. Very pleased.
Good to know ... I'm about the same weight geared up but i ride XC and not race speeds ... yet.

I'll be waiting ~2 weeks for parts etc... I hate waiting.

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
Any one know if the American Classic Race 29 wheel set has a rider limit? I cant find anything on their website. 1420g is pretty light.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am your weight and there aint a chance in hell I could ride with only 32 front and 36 rear. Sorry buddy but big blokes need more air especially if they are getting some (air). Flows are cool and there are other offerings out there but the build is the key. I have had many wheels built and two identical wheelsets can vary greatly in strength. I have had a beautifully built Arch out last two Flows and a DT Swiss 7.1 last for 5 years. For $650 I would suggest Hopes on Flows or Blunts and through axles are our friends (front and rear)

Really, That high PSI ?

I use SunRingle Charger Expert wheels on a Niner EMD with Niner carbon fork and regularly run 26PSI front and 30PSI rear with Wolverine and Exiwolf tyres in a 2.3 size. I weigh 94kg, closer to 100kg with camelbak and riding gear.

The rims bottom out once in a while, but are still nice and true with abount 1700 klm on them. That is commuting, training and xc races on them.. Cant fault them..