29er wheels

For that cash you can get some awesome wheel sets like these:

Fulcrum Red Metal XL - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-red-metal-29-xl-mtb-wheelset/

Pushy have Stan’s no tube wheel set for around the $600 but you can also get them from your LBS in the price bracket that you mentioned. Pushy’s also do Crank Bros and American Classic as well

Chain reaction cycles in the UK will build 29er wheel for but you do have to ask for 29ers. You can make you own customs.

Torpeedo7 from time to time has Crossmax29 on special in this price range as well.

All these wheels are under 1800g.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Are all these available in a lefty?
crazy idea - at the price point, ring twe wheels - he does plenty of leftys , and builds a great wheelset that doesnt need truing - at least you are in vic, so a twe wheelset will be somewhat exclusive down there lol. - a third of a wheelset strength is in the build

Oldas

Likes Dirt
So I have heard back from Mavic and I/we will have to wait for the updated 29er wheel to be released.

Long overdue apparently.

Thanks again for the replies.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
29er Wheelset XC

just looking at some wheel options for 29er HT I will only use these for 50/100k event, anyone used this combination of components?;

Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo Disc Rear/Front 32 Wheel
Rims: NoTubes ZTR Crest Rim 32h Black
Spokes: DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG Black 2mm

Around $520.00, built and delivered - weight is 1650 grams.

Last edited:

markyh990

Likes Dirt
I had a pair of crests, which are hands down the worst wheel I have ever used, maybe I got a bad batch, but they are just too flexy and weak for a 29er. Maybe they work in certain situations, but as a everyday wheel where I don't wanna chicken out of lines due to risk of failing I don't think they work. I got a pair of carbon wheels, which are the greatest purchase I have ever made. I can't break them, send them out of true, they take everything, to not flex a bit, and add a suppleness to my ride. The are around 150 grams heavier then the crests but feel soo much lighter. It feels like you have a split second more when riding, the front wheel goes where ever you want it too. I never had a problem with wheels before riding a 29er, and I think carbon is the only solution. I know they are costly, the same as two sets of normal alu wheels, but I ride them everyday I doubt they will ever fail . . . . fingers crossed.

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
just looking at some wheel options for 29er HT I will only use these for 50/100k event, anyone used this combination of components?;

Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo Disc Rear/Front 32 Wheel
Spokes: DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG Black 2mm

Around $520.00, built and delivered - weight is 1650 grams.
For a HT, I would recommend the Arch Ex and not a Crest particularly if you weigh 80+kg and change your spokes to DT Swiss Competition. Wheel weight will be similar to what you have quoted but heaps stronger and stiffer.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for advice, have ordered 29er wheelset:

Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs - QR 32h Black
Spokes: DT Swiss - Workshop Only Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.8mm
Nipples: DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock Black Set Per Single Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

$579.00

should come in under 1600 grams, will they be flexy, soft? from what I've read Crest Rims have a weight limit recommendation of 85kgs (I'm 80), of course there's the spokes, build quality, rider etc. The ideal would have been the Arch Ex rims but couldn't find them at where I shop. I'm only going to use this wheelset for the 3 or 4 events I do each year, i.e. 100k, 24 hour relay. The stock wheelset (Giant pcx) is around 2.kgs, so wanted something light to bang on for events, otherwise the stock wheelset is fine for the general riding I do. Worst case I'll be ordering some new rims if they're too flexy.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Been using Crests for a couple of years now... love em. For most of the racing I've done I've been around the 80+kg mark so add gear and we're up around the 85kg mark and I'm not exactly what you'd call a gentle smooth rider! The wheels were on a hardtail, and both normal forks and Leftys and I've never had issues with the flexyness that others have spoken of - think its more about who builds em (I run 32h and DT Swiss competition spokes...).

One of my rims did get a bit of a ding it it but that was when I ran into a brick at a 24hr in the dark... (ok... I fell asleep and went of course a little ways to find it!).

Good choice I say!

My current (29er) wheels are DT swiss Tricons... need truing after 3 months and thats on a dually!

Boxer

Likes Dirt
I have a set of Arch Ex on X9 hubs for my dually 29er and a set of TWE custom wheels on the HT 29er. The TWE wheels are based on Crest rims and to be honest I have no durability dramas or noticeable stifness dramas at all.

I will say the Arch's are far easier to mount a tyre to with their deeper rim and you can sit the bead into the valley better to loosen up the tyre fitment.

That said my TWE's are quite a bit lighter (not only due to the rim, but more the nipples and hubs), so much so I am considering selling the Arch's and getting another Crest based lightweight wheelset for the dually too

I am only 76kgs so rim weight limit is not too much drama

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
I have a set of TWEs for my Anthem 29er from Greg, who recommended running an Arch at the rear and Crest on the front as i'm usually around the 87kg weight. Built up tubeless, total weight difference between this set and the Giant stock wheelset was 400g.

Also, setting them up tubeless was a total non-issue! Put in the sealant and pumped them up very easily using a track stand pump.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
update on wheels!

Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs - QR 32h Black
Spokes: DT Swiss - Workshop Only Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.8mm
Nipples: DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock Black Set Per Single Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

$579.00

---------------------
update on wheels, arrived from CRC, front wheel weight: 810 grams, rear wheel weight: 940 grams. So that's 1.750 all up. No tape just the bare wheels. I estimated 1600 grams or so, maybe the spokes, nipples added a bit of weight, still pretty happy, should be a good XC wheelset.

big mike

Squid
Twe

TWE for me too. Arch on rear set up as SS and crest on front.TWE hubs all round DT spokes.
These have been absolutely bombproof for the riding I do.This is my only ride so it gets out alot
!00km and enduro racing.(that should really be riding I don't race).
Had them for 12mths and haven't had to touch them.:Banane35:
Ikons front and back.
Mick

Big JD

Wheel size expert
on a side note - I recently got a 26er again and was so pleasently surprised when I went to change tyres. Mavic rims (no tape) and UST tyre with sealant and a floor pump - just so easy. If only all 29er rims/tyres could be so effortless - all of the time.
carry on you big wheeled numb-nuts

0psi

Eats Squid
Anyone have any real world experience with the Stans Race Gold wheelset? Not much over $1000 and way under 1400g, seems like a bargain.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Anyone have any real world experience with the Stans Race Gold wheelset? Not much over $1000 and way under 1400g, seems like a bargain.
Have heard they have the ability to fold like a pancake if you aren't the smoothest of rider, with lightweight comes an increase of risk of this occurring.

0psi

Eats Squid
Have heard they have the ability to fold like a pancake if you aren't the smoothest of rider, with lightweight comes an increase of risk of this occurring.
I'm not terribly rough on gear (Read: my skirt is very pretty and has frills and shit), I've cracked one rim and that was at Appin. That and people have done farts that weigh more than me.

But possibly for the strength/cost/weight algorithm the Crests are probably the better bet.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have built up a set of Crest on DT240s with Revos and alloy nipples, came in just under 1500g and roll very nicely.
Under $500 using a lightly used rear hub and the rest new.
I am running them 9/10mm thru.

Only done about 8 hours on the so far (SS) but very impressed.