29er wheels

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at lightening my specialized stumpjumper 29er, for mine the best and most obvious option are the wheels, it currently has WTB rims laced to generic hubs. I'm after opinions options for the $800-$1000 mark sub 1800grams tubeless.

obvious options I'm come across are these

Define Wheelset
http://www.definitivecycles.com.au/!!062010/Define Handbuilt Wheelsets.htm
not having alot of luck getting in contact though.

American Classics
http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb26nondisc.php
$800 for the black wheels $900 for bling bling white.

Anything else I should/cold consider?

Your help is greatly appriciated.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look up TWE Wheels. They're based in Taren Point in Sydney, I believe. Highly regarded, well priced and will probably be where I'll get my upgrade wheelset from.

edit: oh, and their website sucks

Last edited:

hilo

Likes Bikes
I'll be following this thread closely--really I have been unclear as to what is best to go for, and it seems some of the wheelbuilders overseas have trouble shipping to Australia. Let me know how you go. Hopefully the choice is getting better here, especially for big and heavy folks like me :(

If anyone has TWE contact details--could not find anything in Google so far--maybe not enough caffeine in my blood stream--could you please post?

RE: the American Classic wheels--from what I have heard from my lighter and shorter mates, they are great wheels. If I was someone else I would not hesitate to buy them, but if you are over 80kg or so I would probably check out others.

Hilo

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Look up TWE Wheels. They're based in Taren Point in Sydney, I believe. Highly regarded, well priced and will probably be where I'll get my upgrade wheelset from.

edit: oh, and their website sucks
Website has been updated :)

Another club member just got a set built by Greg, they came in at 1600g

Roland

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
build quality direct from no-tubes has been an issue in the past with some buyers, just sayin'.:)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In what respect? tension or trueness?
Tension mostly. Sometimes resulting in cracked rims. Those who have used the same rims but built by dedicated wheel builders have had much fewer issues. There may be a few threads on mtbr which I'll try and find for you later today after work.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Well duh, how else would they get it into the box? :p

(its late and I've been drinking... I apologise)
me too. You responded to a man wearing a fake beard and yelling out your screen name on the weekend! Mistake - now he knows what you look like. :)

- Joel

ido09s

Likes Dirt
I have some TWE wheels on my Big Top.

Stanz 355's laced to some of Greg's TWE hubs (15mm front, qr rear). With an XX rear cassette, tubeless tape and tubeless valves they came in at 1810 grams (cassette weighs 207g)

Greg's warranty is awesome and his philosophy is to keep the customer happy, even if it was a problem the user created. Try sending your wheels back to CRC or an internet company for warranty claims..... good luck with that one

Mine cost $899, and i got to keep a local in business :)