29er wheels

Opposite Lock

Likes Bikes
Crest 29er rider weights

Hi all,

I've read the entire thread on 29er wheels with great interest.

Today I've been offered a SUPER sweet deal on a set of 29" crest with american classic hubs and DT alpine spokes for <$500. New. Ready to roll.

I'm 84kg and these will be only wheels on 29er hardtail (train + race). I am neat(ish) rider and won't jump them (that's for the 5" bike).....

What do you reckon...? Am I too heavy for Crest rims....? The Stan's website says 190lb max recommended - about 84kg.....

Your thoughts please.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I ride / race a 29er hardball and have the one set of rims for train and race. 32h crests laced to an xtr 20mm hub up front and a powertap out back. In 12 months of that config I have managed to destroy one rim... At solo nats I had a bit of a concentration lapse and smacked a very large (bessa block sized) rock. Don't think any rim would have stood up to that impact!

However, apart from that the rims have been perfectly true through a couple of 24s, numerous 8hr solos, 100km marathons and the 5+hr a week training rides. I'm not a jumper but I wouldn't say I'm gentle on equipment. Weight varies between 78 and 85kgs.

Based on what you said I think you'd be fine... I wouldn't use aerolite spokes but anything else would work :)

jrh

Likes Bikes
I had a 355 built with DT revolution spokes and flat spotted it 2nd ride. Replaced it with a Flow and revo spokes. Have just done the same to it(4 months on). Both times were pretty big hits on the rear.I also have a set of Arch rims built with a mix of Revo and Comp spokes on my hardtail.I havent had a problem in 18 months. Great wheels.
I'm 70 kg and reasonably agro xc rider.

krisko

Likes Dirt
88kgs on Crest rims, double butted spokes run 3 cross XT hubs no problems.
Before this I had 355's same spoke setup no problems.

Opposite Lock

Likes Bikes
Crest wheels

88kgs on Crest rims, double butted spokes run 3 cross XT hubs no problems.
Before this I had 355's same spoke setup no problems.
Thanks for the advice guys on the Crest wheels / max weight debate.....

I've decided against the "deal of the century" set of Stan's crest on Americian classic hubs....I'm just worried I'll taco them with my 86kg and (lack of) riding style.:confused:

I just bought a set of Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro's and will test them out....Should land in next 3-4 days from UK.

**On a side note - anyone wanting a set of white crest, americian classic hubs and DT Swiss Apline spoked wheels...contact me via private message for sellers details - Cost for wheelset (no tyres or brake rotors) is 500(ish) AUD. My mate is selling - and he's not a forum type of guy.

Petero

Likes Dirt
As good a deal as these.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/EAWHSN0XM/title/easton-xc-29-inch-mtb-wheelset

Not light, but it's a crackin deal.

edit: just realised your'e on a XTC, the Eastons are QR only.
Yep a better deal than those.. 15mm for me. I also understand that the Shimano 29er wheels are not adaptable to 15mm either? Anyone know for sure on this?

I just bought a set of Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro's and will test them out....Should land in next 3-4 days from UK.
How are the Black Flag Pro's going?

cooken

Likes Dirt
I've been riding black flag pros for 6 months now on my hardtail. They've done a few thousand kms in that time, including the tour de Timor, but mostly on singletrack.

In short I'm very happy with them. I've trued the rear wheel once but its never gotten very out of shape. I've hit the rim on rocks a few times when I've been running too low pressure or things have just gotten messy at the end of a long race and haven't done any damage to the rims.

Good price, reasonably light, comes with adapters for all types of front axle set ups and ready to run tubeless out of the box. Limited colour choice but the black rims/gold hubs go well with my bike. I always get asked about them and given the price I'm surprised I haven't seen more about.

WLewis

Likes Bikes
A strong push for sticking with Crests and the BST technology that will allow you to run lighter non-UST tires with greater confidence. The bead is held very securely. ZTR hubs are good enough for most, Stans Hope/Crest combos are also great, or you could go big with a higher end hub (I9 or King). I've had great luck with Maxxis tires on Crests.

cooken

Likes Dirt
Stans rims are made by Sun Ringle and the Sun rims use the same technology as Crests so they should accept the same tyres.

The Sun's rims are a little bit deeper than Crests, hence they weigh more but are supposedly stiffer.

The 'compromise' (and money saving) of the Sun wheelset is more likely to be with the hubs. Mine are still running smoothly but I wish there were more points of engagement.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Ordered a set of Sun Ringle all mountain wheels. Really can`t go past the bang for ya buck value at the moment.
I was leaning towards a set of American Classics, but my wife has already started to put a few dents in the rims on her bike. Not good for a fairly sedate and cautious rider.
Cheers
MH

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
I had an older American Classic hub on one of my 26ers and it had heaps of play in it from new and could not be fixed, so since then l have never been a fan of anything by American Classics.
Hope pro hubs are the way to go. They are super tough, loud as and annoy the heck out of every body that rides with you ;)

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Hope pro hubs are the way to go. They are super tough, loud as and.......QUOTE]

......they are really versatile. Even if you change frame and the rear needs to become bolt-thru, or the fork needs a bolt-thru etc - all of it can be done without too much fuss.
I've had a set of ProII's for 3 yrs now. Got a new bike that is 142 rear. Within a week the new axle kit has arrived and the wheel was back in use on the new frame in under an hour.
They arent the lightest hubs out there, but they tick pretty much every other box.

I had an older American Classic hub on one of my 26ers and it had heaps of play in it from new and could not be fixed, so since then l have never been a fan of anything by American Classics.
Hope pro hubs are the way to go. They are super tough, loud as and annoy the heck out of every body that rides with you ;)
On a budget the velocity wheelsets are pretty good. We have used hope on piles of bikes, love 'em...but now its come time to build a bike I intend to do some 24 hour solos on I have gone to Kings just because of the noise of the hopes...I'll need all the help I can get and a hub screaming "you're coasting again" might just send me around the twist.

Oldas

Likes Dirt
Mavic SSmax 29er for lefty..

Hi guys

I hope this is the appropriate thread for my questions.

I would like to put a set of Mavic SSMax 29er wheels on my 2012 Flash 29er. Is it simply a case of buying a 24hole lefty hub to suit and have the front wheel re built or can I buy the SSmax 29er wheel set ready to go straight on a lefty. The Mavic website seems to suggest the ssmax is not available for the lefty.

I am also going to try and contact the Vic distributor for info.

I would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

I would like to put a set of Mavic SSMax 29er wheels on my 2012 Flash 29er. Is it simply a case of buying a 24hole lefty hub to suit and have the front wheel re built or can I buy the SSmax 29er wheel set ready to go straight on a lefty. The Mavic website seems to suggest the ssmax is not available for the lefty.

Cheers
Mavic don't do a lefty version of the Crossmax 29er.

Because the wheels use proprietary spokes, you can't just get any 24 hole lefty hub - it'd have to be one made to exactly the same dimensions as the normal Mavic Crossmax 29er hub and with the same spoke interface.

Maybe check out a complete Stan's Arch wheelset instead? You can get lefty compatible versions of those.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

Cheers

As Ed states, you would more be better off getting a set of wheels built from scratch, both on the price reasoning and the ability to get replacement spokes,if magic do a 29er SS specific rear wheel. Which will eventually break on the magic wheels. Getting replacement spokes is a hard as getting a replacement shimano part!

quiggs

Oldas

Likes Dirt
Ok thanks guys.

I have emailed Cannondale anyway. They supply a Lefty hub to suit a 29er apparently, we shall see.

I currently have stans ztr arch 29's.

Cheers

Last edited: