2009: an Otway Odyssey...

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No chatter, just quietly sobbing myself to sleep every night. And so my missus tells me, I wake up in a cold sweat, screaming about mud...

Last edited:

Beretta

Berettas Bikehub
Chris Jongewaard did it again, don't know the time I just heard it over the PA as I was going through. Was a great event, and the weather was pretty good really, just a slight drizzle early on.

akashra

Eats Squid
Wonder how many people up the pointy end would have decided not to do the Otways because of the Nats final being on next week.

I know there were a lot of people on Thursday night looking for people to fill their entry as they'd decided not to race. I'm sure that made no dint in there still being 1200 people at the start line though.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the odyssey for me this year was hell, my rear bearings seized up 35km in so whenever the QR was done up the wheel wouldn't roll. i walked the last 20km, because i was determined to finish the 50km for my 3rd year :)

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Does anyone have some links to photo gallerys for the event other than on Rapid Ascents site????

Please post on here.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Yep Jongewaard as the results say, apparently course record. Wow that was tough but great and awesome to finish this year after the mudfest last year.

Hardcore moments are classic in the Otway:

Guy kicking off the last 13km's which includes sledgehammer with a totally buckled wheel, looks like he wanted to finish so bad he did the whole thing walking with the bike on the back wheel....pushing. Don't know how long he'd been pushing it for but he looked farked.

Guy who forgot his cleats and rode on clipless with sneakers. That would have been brutal.

Kid on a K-mart bike and sneakers.

They all finished.

Last edited:

joe79

Likes Dirt
Yep Jongewaard as the results say, apparently course record. Wow that was tough but great and awesome to finish this year after the mudfest last year.

Hardcore moments are classic in the Otway:

Guy kicking off the last 13km's which includes sledgehammer with a totally buckled wheel, looks like he wanted to finish so bad he did the whole thing walking with the bike on the back wheel....pushing. Don't know how long he'd been pushing it for but he looked farked.

Guy who forgot his cleats and rode on clipless with sneakers. That would have been brutal.

Kid on a K-mart bike and sneakers.

They all finished.
-Kid riding a DH hardtail, complete with dual crown forks, with sneakers and a skate helmet. He seemed to be struggling on the climbs, but was absolutely flying down the hills.

It was a fantastic day, i'm sure once all my aches have subsided i'll be keen for next year.

velocidad

Likes Dirt
was my first time at OO, I did the 50 and had a great day, it was certainly an eye opener to my fitness level (or lack of)

my breakage list: a rear wheel spoke and a 50km old sram gold joiner link. :D

thanks go to the organisers for a well run event.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
...I knew there was going to be alot of climbing, but wow... alot of climbing! Can't tell ya how many times I looked down to make sure I was on the granny ring and the big cog ("surely this can't be my lowest gear... doh").

Bike made it through unscaved, my calves are a tad on the sore side from walking up some of those climbs (couldn't ride them as too many people in the way... *cough*... otherwise would have dropped hours off my time *cough, cough*).

First ever race, and was glad I did the 50. Awesome day, although there were times when I was seriously challenging the logic of the whole thing. Ridiculous. Pointlessly painful. Totally lacking in logic.

Be back next year to give the 100 a crack after alot more training.

S.

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
wasn't as bad as I was expectinh wishing I changed the front ring to 32 on the first hill 34:16 was a tad too hard, walked all the same hills as everyone else. 3hours 33 on a Single Speed, going to be there next year hopefully do the 100km this time.
Needed more single track in the 50km

alexb618

Likes Dirt
like shane-o above, i was questioning why i bothered taking 2 days off work and driving 10 hours each way to participate in a fire road marathon that was only fully rideable for those with olympic level fitness

i am sure the people who did the 100k have a completely different opinion as they got to ride all the good stuff as a reward for getting past all 'those fire roads'

they should probably start the 50k riders in forrest next year

quiggs

Likes Dirt
The biggest highlight would be the bloke who rode the last 13km loop nude, yep nude, apparently very little convincing was required while he was in transition, filled his bottles up got rid of the clothes and off he set.

I wonder what would have gone through the old ladies who were marshalling one of the final check points when they cop an eye full of this blokes tackle dancing up the firetrail towards them!!

good day

for those interested the GPS recorded just on 2700 mts climing for the day!

749dark

Likes Dirt
like shane-o above, i was questioning why i bothered taking 2 days off work and driving 10 hours each way to participate in a fire road marathon that was only fully rideable for those with olympic level fitness
I drove 13.5hrs each way to do this race and quite enjoyed it despite having a mechanical which slowed me down quite abit.

In the course details for the 50km, you can see that only 9% was single track with the rest being split between road and firetrail.

My only criticism was that the signage could have been abit better but overall it was a great event.

Benduro

Likes Dirt
1st time OO and had a ripper day...Wasn't sure if the 100 was going to be the right choice after suffering badly @ last weeks 6hr Bush Fire Relief Enduro (lot's and lot's of cramp) but kept hydrated and felft good for most of the 8hrs 59mins.
Felt really ordinary @ about 55kms but a gel and some fluid from the hydration stations and I was back!
The sand was a bit of a killer but I guess those that did it last year would take it over the mud!
Great event...Awesome vibe (especially the start), and really appreciated the sponsors who provided hydration and energy supplements:)
Be back next year for sure:D

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Oh what a great day!! Although at times I thought otherwise. Having never seen the course before and being stupid enough to go in the 100km. I was in a hardtail which was really hard work on the back and going down some of the decent/single track. Broke a pedal in the last 13kms. It was a real advantage for some of the guys on good dualies.
Oh well 8hrs16min was a decent first attempt.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!! Sorry if I held anyone up in some of the single track section I was literally knackered from all the bouncing around.

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
...don't get me wrong - I had a great day, atmosphere was great, people all friendly, and apart from almost launching into the canopy of the forest after missing a turn - the course signage etc was great.

I was in a world of hurt quite a few times - by my own doing... more training req'd. I do agree that more single track would have been great. The last section was the highlight for me, which is why I will do the training next year and attack the 100. The last half looks like the 'fun bit' to me.

Would be interested to hear what the folks that did the 100 thought though... how 'hard' was the 2nd 50, compared to the 1st? Aside from tha fact that you may or may not have been 'crosseyed with fatigue'??

S.