2009: an Otway Odyssey...

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
...don't get me wrong - I had a great day, atmosphere was great, people all friendly, and apart from almost launching into the canopy of the forest after missing a turn - the course signage etc was great.

I was in a world of hurt quite a few times - by my own doing... more training req'd. I do agree that more single track would have been great. The last section was the highlight for me, which is why I will do the training next year and attack the 100. The last half looks like the 'fun bit' to me.

Would be interested to hear what the folks that did the 100 thought though... how 'hard' was the 2nd 50, compared to the 1st? Aside from tha fact that you may or may not have been 'crosseyed with fatigue'??

S.
My first marathon. Perfect weather, organisation, had a ball.

They said train for hills, which I did, but going up, not down. I really neglected my technical training for climbing (have always been a bit conservative, but particularly so following multiple recent stacks). Have not ridden on trails with a lot of leaf litter, or loamy soils so that was interesting.

I probably would have been disappointed if I had done the 50 (having also travelled 12hrs), now knowing what was in the second half! I was so pumped I didn't stop for the planned cuppa at 67 or 87km. Had a bit of a low coming out of Forest at 67km and had to walk many roll overs. Caned up the climb out of Forest at 87km with hopes of getting under 8hrs and then quickly gave that ambition away once I hit the single track.

DO the 100, just pace yourself through the first half and have fun in the second.

Disappointed with the small number of women. Only 49 in Female Open.

Still on a high.

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
I was back for my second OO. I should have known it wasn't my day when I lost over 10mins thanks to the cable pulling out of my rear mech at about the 15 km mark!

Despite a troublesome rear mech, I was still well on track to smack last year's time of 7hr15 when my second, more serious, problem occurred. Was on a fast and very sketchy descent chasing two guys - lots of dust and not much vis. The leading guy got a little out of shape and i slipped into a rut. Tried to ride it out but just caught my front tyre on the exit and whammo! My garmin says I was doing 40kmh - had covered just over 31kms in 1hr 43mins. Knew straight away that my collarbone was gone.

Had surgery yesterday - collarbone in 4 pieces but all back together now. Will be stronger than ever soon! My ASR seems to have survived but my Lazer helmet is buggered.

I feel however my wings may be clipped for some time - my wife wants to kill me.....

HillBilly
Jamin - Surgery! Shit man, hope it all heals up quickly. You certainly had a brave face on for someone with a four piece collarbone..

Agreed re those commenting on that hole at the bottom of one of the dusty decents. Man I hit that sucker hard and fast on my hardtail, as I didn't even see it coming in the dust. Survived that though, and had a ball.

John

crosser

Likes Dirt
I was back for my second OO. I should have known it wasn't my day when I lost over 10mins thanks to the cable pulling out of my rear mech at about the 15 km mark!

Despite a troublesome rear mech, I was still well on track to smack last year's time of 7hr15 when my second, more serious, problem occurred. Was on a fast and very sketchy descent chasing two guys - lots of dust and not much vis. The leading guy got a little out of shape and i slipped into a rut. Tried to ride it out but just caught my front tyre on the exit and whammo! My garmin says I was doing 40kmh - had covered just over 31kms in 1hr 43mins. Knew straight away that my collarbone was gone.

Had surgery yesterday - collarbone in 4 pieces but all back together now. Will be stronger than ever soon! My ASR seems to have survived but my Lazer helmet is buggered.

I feel however my wings may be clipped for some time - my wife wants to kill me.....

HillBilly
HillBilly,

Really sorry to hear about that, mate. You certainly were a hard man to hang out at the finish line with your poor clavicle in four pieces. I hope it's not too uncomfortable. As has been said before, it's a very inconvenient bone to break.

Did you ever get your chain back?

Cheers

Crosser

DaveT

Squid
Wow Jamin that's a bad break, you were amazingly calm and stoic in the van on the way back to Apollo Bay... good on you for lending your chain out to someone in the midst of it all too. Catch you next year with your Robocollarbone!

Dave

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More photos to be posted on Rapid Ascent I hope? It seems there was a photog every 50 metres - I'm guessing there's a few images to sort through.

toby

Likes Dirt
Is anyone else missing off the timing sheet or is it just me?

I emailed them but no reply... I know they must be busy but interested to know how I went!

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
Hi guys

Yeah the guy who I gave my chain to (Sean) tracked me down after the race and returned the chain. He also told the event coordinator who gave me a random prize of socks and energy drink - thanks mate.

I must say - while I was on the side of the track huddled under my space blanket waiting to be picked up by the sag wagon, the number of people who asked if I was OK or if I needed anything was mind blowing. I reckon 500 people offered assistance which just shows the level of comaraderie and mateship amongst mountain bikers.

A big thanks to all.

Cheers

HillBilly

Mad German

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

[...] I reckon 500 people offered assistance which just shows the level of comaraderie and mateship amongst mountain bikers.

A big thanks to all.

Cheers

HillBilly
Mate,
thats why I love Mountain biking and not Road biking. You'll only find it here, where we race against each other, yet help each other out too....... ;)

alexb618

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

Yeah the guy who I gave my chain to (Sean) tracked me down after the race and returned the chain. He also told the event coordinator who gave me a random prize of socks and energy drink - thanks mate.

I must say - while I was on the side of the track huddled under my space blanket waiting to be picked up by the sag wagon, the number of people who asked if I was OK or if I needed anything was mind blowing. I reckon 500 people offered assistance which just shows the level of comaraderie and mateship amongst mountain bikers.

A big thanks to all.

Cheers

HillBilly
so that was you with the space blanket, cant get the image out of my head... after that point i took it a lot easier.

good to hear you are alive and well

macboy

Likes Dirt
It was my first Odyssey and I had a ball. Wanted to beat 8 hrs, my riding partner and I did it in 7 hrs 24 mins so we were super stoked. Had a flat between the 67km and 87km mark. Only lost 6 mins so it wasn't too bad.

Totally agree with the rutted dh sections in the first 50. I too almost came to grief, at one section the ruts had control over my direction, not me. It was brown trouser time. By the end I had actually had enough of single track, my brain was so tired I couldn't concentrate properly. I was glad to get a bit of road just to stretch the legs and get some pace up. Had some guy sitting in on me which was funny.

My Mrs did the 50km and she had a great time. She had a stack with about 3km to go. Her bruised hip is the best I have ever seen. She was helped out by a guy in the 100km who fixed up her bike as the back wheel had come out, WTF!! So if that was a fellow Farker I'd like to say thanks for helping her out, it was greatly appreciated,

Pussa

Likes Bikes
My first Odyssey also and had a ball. The organisers and people participating were great. Typical of an MTB event really! Traveled up from Tassie with the family and well worth the trip/effort. Bit of mental fatigue set in between 75km and 85km but managed to shake it for the final 13km section.

I don't think they could/should start the 50 in Forrest or even run the 100 in reverse, both for the same reasons; the log jam on the singletracks would be endless. Only just started to thin by the time Red Carpet came along. The course is very tough and should remain that way. Otherwise people wouldn't travel great distances to test themselves against it.

The fire trails descents were very fast with poor visibility but I gave myself room to see and brake in time for holes. It wasn't worth it for me risking it after coming so far. Hope the people that did come off in those holes are OK.

Not sure when I'll be back. So many other cool events on the mainland I want to do and not enough time or money. But will recommend this event to anyone that will listen!

evltoy

Likes Dirt
This was my first event so l only did the 50km to see how it was. I had a blast and will be back to better my time next year.

The only issue which l hope they fix next year was the signage at the transition and entry gate to the finishing line. They may as well have put nothing there, as it was so small. The amount of people l had to direct due to them going the wrong way because of not seeing the signs.

Also, those crazy girls that were jumping around after winning the day prize were my groupie. - Not sure if l should have said that. :rolleyes: hahaha. But I ended up with some cool prizes. :D

Cheers
Wayne

DavidB

Squid
ugly t-shirt

Really enjoyed the event for the third year. My only minor gripe is that the t-shirts are a bit garish and poorly sized. No big deal, but the past two t's have been great and you see lots of them around.

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
Oh yea - I got a medium t-shirt and I would have to eat 1,000 KFC buckets to touch the sides... no idea what I'm gunna do with it. Maybe I'll cut the sleeves off and have the mrs take it in or something. ?

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Ha ha we were talking about it yesterday, and the T-shirt looks suspiciously like you work at Bunnings when worn.

toby

Likes Dirt
does anyone have a different email for the rapid ascent guys... other than just the info@ one?

I have been trying to find out why I am not on the results... but haven't received a reply since Monday.

Thanks

craigb

Likes Dirt
Oh yea - I got a medium t-shirt and I would have to eat 1,000 KFC buckets to touch the sides... no idea what I'm gunna do with it. Maybe I'll cut the sleeves off and have the mrs take it in or something. ?
Id rather wear a bunnings t shirt. Seriously these are the worst looking t shirts ive seen at any event. On an upside another great Otway with lots of friendly people just a pitty it wasnt a little longer