2009: an Otway Odyssey...

alexb618

Likes Dirt
What I really mean is that people who want to take the soft option end up with the much harder and much more dangerous (3 foot deep ruts at 60km/h) part of the course to ride, which was kind of odd.

DaveT

Squid
I did the 100 for the 3rd time, it felt just as hard as the previous years, even though the conditions were a lot better and therefore at least half an hours less ride time. The first 50k was still extremely hard, I only had to walk a short section this year, but staying on the bike and burying myself didn't set me up well for the last 50.

The red carpet descent is probably the most fun bit of the course, it's the point (at least for me) on the 100 before the pain and fatigue start setting in. But yes the best riding on the course is to be had in the next 30k, if you're not too stuffed to enjoy it. Even if you are stuffed its still worth having a crack, if your technical skills are better than your fitness you won't lose too much time in these sections by backing off a bit and maintaining a smooth consistent momentum.

Throughout the day there was a lot more 'racing' going on than previous years, I was chopping and changing with riders all day, and less than a minute separated 5 of us at the finish.

I couldn't fault the organisation/set up, although yeah the signage could have been a little clearer at one or two points.

Dave

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
was my first time at OO, I did the 50 and had a great day, it was certainly an eye opener to my fitness level (or lack of)

my breakage list: a rear wheel spoke and a 50km old sram gold joiner link. :D

thanks go to the organisers for a well run event.
I lost a powerlink too, dropped me from 25th to 49th position. I've used powerlinks for years without a problem but in the last month or two I've heard of several failures. Maybe a bad batch?
I'm also suspecting new ones fail more easily, mine was brand new as were two of the others I know of. They may get a bit more gnarled and less likely to open as they age.
My only other regret was not riding over the guy[1] who refused to let me past on Red Carpet Descent. I was 9 seconds off 5th fastest time...
Great event though, very very slick.

[1] No I'm not serious, just frustrated.

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
Mad Otway..

First time I've done the OO, down from Sydney FOR THE DAY...

I took the 100k option. What a race..? Killer climbs - I loved them, yep I walked heaps, my calf's were so tight from walking uphill in MTB shoes. There was plenty of great racing - some super fast and sometimes scary fast rutted fireroad. Great single track and some black top, so you could sit on a wheel and get some rest at speed...!

Well organised event in a perfect setting - I'll be back in 2010 to try and crack 6hours.

Nice one Rapid Ascent.. you've won me.

TimMc

Likes Bikes
Craig Borham

hey Craig
I'm really, really sorry I was doing home renos last weekend and neglected to remove some nails and tacks and stuff from my jersey pocket & I think they may have spilled out and onto the track and they were special 700c ones too whoopsy!:p

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
like shane-o above, i was questioning why i bothered taking 2 days off work and driving 10 hours each way to participate in a fire road marathon that was only fully rideable for those with olympic level fitness

i am sure the people who did the 100k have a completely different opinion as they got to ride all the good stuff as a reward for getting past all 'those fire roads'

they should probably start the 50k riders in forrest next year
I did the 50 as well and agree that perhaps if they could start the 50k riders from Forrest to do the last 50 instead it might be a better experience for the 50k entrants, I went in to it after 2 months off the bike due to a knee injury and even if was still at the level I was at prior to the injury (which was not great anyway) I still would have had to walk all the hills, I am not too sure how they would go about it if they did change it to the 50k riders starting at Forrest but it would be good if they could, I wont do it next year unless I am fit enough to go in to it to do the 100, was not worth it for the 50, was very well organised though, no problems there and excellent atmoshpere almost worth it just for that.

Saw a few casualties along the way, hope they are ok

Hud

Likes Dirt
Was a great race, well organised and run and I loved it all even the pushing.
Bit over 8 hrs for me.

If the 50km started in Forrest it would be a quagmire of riders the whole way. In the 100, even after 50km of hills had spread the field there was still a lot of clogging, not too bad but it wouldn't want to be worse. If the 50km started in forrest, the pro's would arrive in the 100km they would be stuck in the jam as well, so if the 50km starts in Forrest I won't be there. That said, the 50km riders are kinda ripped off, but it's all there in the description.
The red carpet was a source of frustration again, just like last year, no overtaking opportunities and some people just chug along, not looking behind and no consideration.
Two other gripes: In the fast rutty fireroad there was a sharp, deep hole that everyone was hitting at pace and causing OTB incidents and tacoing rims. It shouldve had warning signs as it was impossible to see in the dust. On the fast gravel road descent before the red carpet there was a 20m sections of deep loose gravel that was dangerous too, this too should've been signed.

joe79

Likes Dirt
In the fast rutty fireroad there was a sharp, deep hole that everyone was hitting at pace and causing OTB incidents and tacoing rims. It shouldve had warning signs as it was impossible to see in the dust.
This one almost caught me out at speed, i'll just say i was very grateful for my 5" forks, it could have been pretty nasty with less travel.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
On the fast gravel road descent before the red carpet there was a 20m sections of deep loose gravel that was dangerous too, this too should've been signed.
i was passing someone at about 60 clicks when that patch came up, absolutely shit my pantaloons!

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
This one almost caught me out at speed, i'll just say i was very grateful for my 5" forks, it could have been pretty nasty with less travel.
I really came off this too was sooo close to going OTB was glad for stans after seeing everyone with flats just after it.

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Yep, very nearly got me too!!! The bloke behind me on an orange specialized dually couldn't believe I held it together:eek: Worked out on the next climb that I still had my forks locked out:eek:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
it was the 1st time for also, just over 6 1/2 hrs for the 100, which I was reasonable happy with, considering the lack of training coming, following a broken collar bone in December and the confidence still not where it should be! Or maybe I'm scared of facing the wife if I come off again and break bones or bend the surgically applied metal!

Highlights of the trail would have to be the trails around Forest, their is one section over in Yaugher where it is multiple berm after another just sweeeeeet flowing track, that I'm already trying to work out when to get up there for the weekend and go riding through the area fresh and not delirious from cramps.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hard but great day - beat my 9 hour target time by 4 minutes. Superstoked.

+1 to the deep gravel bed, saw my life flash before my eyes and visions of picking gravel out of open wounds for weeks.

White Knuckle Slider was much better than last year but still dicey. The best way down was on the RHS, waaay off the back of the seat.

Baz rides

Likes Bikes
In the fast rutty fireroad there was a sharp, deep hole that everyone was hitting at pace and causing OTB incidents and tacoing rims. It shouldve had warning signs as it was impossible to see in the dust.
+1 here. Pulled out to overtake somebody and found that one - pretty sure i managed to get 5" travel out of my 4" forks :eek:

Also agree with the comments on congestion on the timed descent, but you have to expect that with a race that draws so many roadies onto the dirt :D. But I reckon that's part of the beauty of it anyway. I was racing one of my roadie mates who blitzed me over the first half, but i managed to reel him back in once we hit the singletrack. So he was probably the one holding you up... Made for an interesting race for us anyway.

DaveT

Squid
That hole was nasty, at the bottom of a fast descent, hard to see, not much chance of slowing, the only option was to bunny hop and hope... directly after it was another hole... landing on the ridge in the middle wasn't great. One of the leading riders had come a cropper on it and broken a collar bone, I imagine he wasn't the only one.

Dave

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

This was my first 100km event and I finished in (OK, no muffled laughter or gwaffs please!!) just over 10 hours. By 40km I was thinking I'll never do it again, by 80km I was thinking of how I'll do better next year.

As a slower rider I felt pretty conscious about getting out of the way of the faster 50km riders but the area they caught up at was pretty narrow and there were plenty or riders around choking things up. I think with the volume of people competing there's just always going to be that issue.

Overall great event and much credit to the organiser and of course the volunteers. They were fantastic. Considering I was right at the end, they were still clapping and encouraging and they must have been well and truly sick of it by then but it was much appreciated. Also have to comment on the great spirit I found with the "back markers". There wasn't a guy who held me up (yes I actually passed people at the end) and only heard positive comments about how it was going. Great stuff.

I'll be back!

Cheers,

Coaster

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
I was back for my second OO. I should have known it wasn't my day when I lost over 10mins thanks to the cable pulling out of my rear mech at about the 15 km mark!

Despite a troublesome rear mech, I was still well on track to smack last year's time of 7hr15 when my second, more serious, problem occurred. Was on a fast and very sketchy descent chasing two guys - lots of dust and not much vis. The leading guy got a little out of shape and i slipped into a rut. Tried to ride it out but just caught my front tyre on the exit and whammo! My garmin says I was doing 40kmh - had covered just over 31kms in 1hr 43mins. Knew straight away that my collarbone was gone.

Had surgery yesterday - collarbone in 4 pieces but all back together now. Will be stronger than ever soon! My ASR seems to have survived but my Lazer helmet is buggered.

I feel however my wings may be clipped for some time - my wife wants to kill me.....

HillBilly

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
Dude - that blows. All the best for a speedy recovery. I broke my collar bone many years ago (22 years ago... damn I feel old now) riding BMX... snapped my bike (a GT) and my colar bone. I know it is a really crap bone to break, tuff to immobilize.

S.

cfd01

Likes Bikes
+1 here. Pulled out to overtake somebody and found that one - pretty sure i managed to get 5" travel out of my 4" forks :eek:

+ another one OTB. Luckily nothing broken just some bruising, corked thigh and a sprained finger to my suprise as well as the guys following. (thanks for them too for pulling up afterwards to make sure i was OK!) Managed to get to the finish

After doing the 50 last year and the 100 this year i can definately say the secong 50 is soo much better and worth the first 50