2009: an Otway Odyssey...

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Craig and Bodin.

Nope, no road bike so it's all on a MTB for me! What I've been doing is using the 2 hour session (only one mid week ride at this point) to go around Yarra Bend and basically find all the MTB hills I can find and ride up them. To be honest I'm not making it through the entire 2 hours without cutting across to road hills (because I'm buggered!) but it's a start.

I'll take up what you've suggested. Another note is that I always seem to "forget" to take the gels I've packed. For some strange reason I'l just ride and ride and then all of a sudden hit the wall and then crack it at myself for not paying attention. Training should help this.

Thanks again and I hope I have the chance to catch up with some of the almighty farkers like yourself for a chat and a well earnt beer.

Cheers,

Coaster

vogmae

Likes Dirt
2009 Otway entries nearly full

Just signed up for the 100k (veteran, makes me feel like an old car), and thought I'd let people know it is very nearly full.

Bodin

GMBC
Another note is that I always seem to "forget" to take the gels I've packed. For some strange reason I'l just ride and ride and then all of a sudden hit the wall and then crack it at myself for not paying attention. Training should help this.
Use an ultra-cheap waterproof watch that has an alarm that you can set to go off at regular intervals.

I used to set the alarm to beep every 10 minutes to remind me to take a sip of water - then I never got dehydrated, yet I didn't get a gut full of liquid from gulping down a whole bidon after forgetting to drink for an hour.

Now I don't need the alarm - sipping regularly is a natural habit for me and I pretty much have my "Gu Intervals" sorted out as well.

Find your desired "Gu Interval" and set your alarm to got off at that time and suck it down even if you don't feel like you need it yet. If in doubt, try and time it for about 5 minutes before the big hill that always breaks your heart (doesn't everyone have one of those?).

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Tire Choice

Hey guys,
haven't done this race before and signed up for this years one. Am think about tire choice would a set of racing ralph's work in the dry? or would Nobby Nic's be the better choice?

craigb

Likes Dirt
racing ralphs would be great in the dry, im probably looking at nobby nic front, racing ralph rear if its dry but then again maybe racing ralphs all round. Im going to have the 2 sets of tyres there so ill make my mind up in the morning when i get up. Either way you cant go wrong

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah was thinking something similar, but I am bringing two sets of wheels to save having to piss around with changing tires (also a pain when you run a tubeless conversion version set-up).
Schwalbe should have the new Rocket Ron out by then as well, it is supposed to sit between the Ralph and Nic in terms of tread size.

toby

Likes Dirt
I ran crossmarks last time, two years ago when it was dry and they were awesome... Took Ignitors in case it was wet (but didn't use them).

This year I will be running Ralphs front and rear.. have been running the 2.2 versions and love'em. If its wet I would swap the front for a Nic..

I have a set of Rocket Rons on my new Scott and dont think they are as good as the Ralphs. But they aint the triple compound version so its hard to compare really...

Hud

Likes Dirt
It'll be 2 Ralphs for me, unless it's really wet. It can't do that two years in a row though can it?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have a set of Rocket Rons on my new Scott and dont think they are as good as the Ralphs. But they aint the triple compound version so its hard to compare really...
So they are not that good then? Are they closer to a Nic then a Ralph?

port

Squid
Howdy Otway Farkers,

I'm keen to get an idea of what Farkers are doing out there to get ready for this. This will be my first 100 km event and I'm interested to know what people are planning to prepare themselves from here on in. Keep in mind that I'm there to finish it,not to win it so I'm not after the guns perspective (although I'd be happy to hear it!).

My plan? Saddle time! I'm at bit time stretched so I'll try to do two 2 hour rides during the week and then get one of 4 or 5 on the weekend. Outside that run 2 or 3 times a week at lunch and keep riding to and from work (only 15 mins each way).

Cheers,

Coast
I rode around the trails in forrest on the weekend, whizzed around 4,5,6 as there is a state series race around them in a couple of weeks and then did 2 descents of redcarpet (the timed descent in the OO) and of course two climbs to get up to the start. Heading there again this weekend to do something similar and then after the state series race, will start riding from apollo bay up to mt sabine and build up to where I can go up it 2-3 times before the race, as I haven't done it before and was told this is the hardest part of the course.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll see you there! I've taken Bondin's advice and made sure that I get down for a look at what I'm in for rather than turning up at the 50km mark and letting fly with some choice words (which I'm sure I'll still do anyway).

port

Squid
Just read on the rapid ascent website, that the 100km is sold out, so hope everyone got their entries in, still places in the 50km for those kicking themselves on missing out on the 100km.

Knut

Troll hunter
GMBC State XC

There is a State XC in Forrest on 18 Jan. This would be perfect to get some real time simulation before the event. Geelong run a pretty smooth and fun event, There is a XCC on afterwards to test the back-up strength you are going to need for the odyssey.

There will be a couple of vidzas the night before at the pub. Mad if you miss all that.

cfd01

Likes Bikes
Otway Familairisation day vs State round

Has anyone noticed that the OO familarisation day and the State XC at Forrest appear to be on the same day (18th Jan)

Does anyone know if the State round will use the same trails as the OO? or will the OO guys be riding them?

liambarr

Likes Bikes
Hi All, did the 50km event last year, toughest short ride I have done to date. If its dry, not problem, but wet you had better build those leg muscles. As someone mentioned before, the 20-30km mark killed a lot of people I think. I have heard though that they have a wet weather option this time which is good.

Have to say, how good would this race be in reverse? (and yes I am soft for not wanting to climb those hills!)

Knut

Troll hunter
State XC Forrest

Has anyone noticed that the OO familarisation day and the State XC at Forrest appear to be on the same day (18th Jan)

Does anyone know if the State round will use the same trails as the OO? or will the OO guys be riding them?
As far as I know the trails will be different. The Geelong Mountain Bike Club event application began in July last year and has been on the Calendar since October. The best advice I can give you is to have a go at the State XC as it will familiarise you with the trails and offer real time race simulation for the Odyssey. There is also an XCC which will test your stamina after competing in the earlier race. This will be the best guage you could possibly get for fitness and component choice.

Megahead

Likes Bikes
I agree with Liam. A 50k loop around Forrest & then straight downhill to Apollo Bay finishing at the Pub for a few beers would be perfect for mind. :) I was stuffed after last years race & only did the 50. agghh the mud. It was like riding the Kokoda trail.